Perplexing Pipes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #1

Question Perplexing Pipes

Hello all. I've been lurking for a few days and reading about exhaust systems. I have a 2004 Mustang convertible and Two of my stock catalytic converters were killed by a speed bump even though I was heading over it at a normal speed. The mechanic said the car has 4 of them, but only 2 were killed. The bumps are on a private road maintained by the home owner's association and look poorly built to me; I don't believe I should scrape going that slowly. Anyhow I doubt they will do anything about the bumps and don't think that the government would get involved even if they are outside regulation since the road isn't maintained by the government.

So I've decided to get the cats removed as my state doesn't check for that at all, rather than having to pay for new ones every time I don't find the perfect crawling speed to get over these insane bumps. Since the car has 4, would I need all 4 removed, or just the 2 that were destroyed since they scrape more easily? I know some have said it sounds bad when you remove them; others say they enjoy the sound. I've heard some videos on youtube and it sounds alright to me.

The problem is...I don't know much about cars at all. From what I've read recently, I think what I want is some H-pipes connected to a dual cat-back system. I have a few questions about this set-up and would like if others who've done this can address them.

From what I've gathered there are pipes coming down from the engine called exhaust headers and they would lead down to the H-pipe, which would be the car's mid-pipe (correct so far?). I was wondering if there is any pipe between the headers and the mid-pipe, or does the header directly connect to the mid-pipe?

I was looking at H-pipes and I've seen people recommend an off-road H-pipe by BBK but I've only been able to find them in the "shorty" style and I'm not sure what they mean by that exactly. Can a "shorty" midpipe connect properly to stock header pipes and to the cat-back piping or would it not reach? If anyone can answer that I'd be grateful or if you've got other H-pipe suggestions I'm up for hearing them.

I'd also appreciate suggestions on cat-backs. The v6 has 2.25 inch piping all around, correct? What sizes do these aftermarket systems come in? If they're 2.5 inch would that cause any real issues? Also most of the end tips that come with these cat-back systems seem to be 3 inch, is that fine?

Well that is all I can think of for now, if someone can give me answers and suggestions he or she will be thanked.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Perplexing Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Hello all. I've been lurking for a few days and reading about exhaust systems. I have a 2004 Mustang convertible and Two of my stock catalytic converters were killed by a speed bump even though I was heading over it at a normal speed. The mechanic said the car has 4 of them, but only 2 were killed. The bumps are on a private road maintained by the home owner's association and look poorly built to me; I don't believe I should scrape going that slowly. Anyhow I doubt they will do anything about the bumps and don't think that the government would get involved even if they are outside regulation since the road isn't maintained by the government.

So I've decided to get the cats removed as my state doesn't check for that at all, rather than having to pay for new ones every time I don't find the perfect crawling speed to get over these insane bumps. Since the car has 4, would I need all 4 removed, or just the 2 that were destroyed since they scrape more easily? I know some have said it sounds bad when you remove them; others say they enjoy the sound. I've heard some videos on youtube and it sounds alright to me.

The problem is...I don't know much about cars at all. From what I've read recently, I think what I want is some H-pipes connected to a dual cat-back system. I have a few questions about this set-up and would like if others who've done this can address them.

From what I've gathered there are pipes coming down from the engine called exhaust headers and they would lead down to the H-pipe, which would be the car's mid-pipe (correct so far?). I was wondering if there is any pipe between the headers and the mid-pipe, or does the header directly connect to the mid-pipe?

I was looking at H-pipes and I've seen people recommend an off-road H-pipe by BBK but I've only been able to find them in the "shorty" style and I'm not sure what they mean by that exactly. Can a "shorty" midpipe connect properly to stock header pipes and to the cat-back piping or would it not reach? If anyone can answer that I'd be grateful or if you've got other H-pipe suggestions I'm up for hearing them.

I'd also appreciate suggestions on cat-backs. The v6 has 2.25 inch piping all around, correct? What sizes do these aftermarket systems come in? If they're 2.5 inch would that cause any real issues? Also most of the end tips that come with these cat-back systems seem to be 3 inch, is that fine?

Well that is all I can think of for now, if someone can give me answers and suggestions he or she will be thanked.
First off welcome to the site from one newb to another. I don't know what your future plans are but I just installed my exhaust on my car. I had the factory pipes cut directly behind the front cats. Then ran 2.25 pipe to a stock H-section from a 1999-2004 GT.( deleting the rear cats ) I used a pair of stock 2.25 1999-2004 flow tubes & mufflers with 94-97 GT 2.25 tailpipes, which you will use the ones from a 1999-2004 gt. The rear 02's sensor wires have to be extended also to reach the o2 bung holes. You will also need to get the exhaust hangers for the passenger side muffler & tailpipe from a gt.My car is a little louder than stock but runs alot better. I read a few threads & it seems that the off road pipe on a stock engine is a bad idea. Hope this helps.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Your best bet would be to just cut all four of them out, take off the Y pipe, get an offroad H pipe, get some MIL eliminators, run your choice of muffler and dump the exhaust.

http://www.texashotrods.com/storefro...id=5320&dfid=1

Mustang Plug-in MIL Eliminators at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
Your best bet would be to just cut all four of them out, take off the Y pipe, get an offroad H pipe, get some MIL eliminators, run your choice of muffler and dump the exhaust.

MAC 99-04 3.8L V6 Mustang Offroad H Pipe Shorties/Stock

Mustang Plug-in MIL Eliminators at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Hey, thanks for the info. From the H-pipe link:"Don't forget to add the matching shorty headers to complete your exhaust. We also have the matching cat-back systems. " The H pipe you showed me is referred to as "shorty" but can that go on the stock headers as well? I'll be sure to pick up the MIL eliminators and I read I should also get them to use the computer to tune the car for no cats so it doesn't effect how it runs.

One more thing - what does it mean to "dump the exhaust". Thanks.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Dumping the exhaust means to get either a turndown tip before the pipe clears the rear axle or cut it off right as it clears it.

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...A2492A0A0.aspx
Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Dumping the exhaust can be done two different ways.

You can run piping from the cats to the mufflers as normal. Then a short piece of piping bent down towards the ground is attached to the outlet of the muffler. It is 'turned down" usually giving off a deeper tone.

This can be done right after the mufflers before the axle...pretty common, or you can run the piping over the axle, and have the piping angled down just under the bumper.

A lot of people prefer dumping the exhaust on the v6 because then they don't need a GT bumper with the cutouts for the tips, and the sound is deeper when dumped.
It also can use less piping and retain 2.25" piping resulting in no loss of backpressure.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Road Trip!

^ Pre-xactly.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

19Delta put up some good tips. Those are stainless and won't rust out like the chrome ones. I'd stick with stainless as much as possible, unless you want to replace parts a lot. lol

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 09-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Yes yes, always go with stainless, unless you're dealing with headers, then go with ceramic. Trust me, replacing longtubes at 350 dollars a pop gets old, fast.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

^good point, very true.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies guys; I appreciate them.

However, I still have a question about which type of H-pipe to get. I keep seeing them referred to as being "shorty" style, does shorty mean that it will not fit on a stock manifolds/headers? Because I don't plan on changing the manifolds out, so I need an H-pipe that will work for the stock manifolds.

This one that 19Delta kindly linked me to is called shorty, and says shorties/stock but also says: "Don't forget to add the matching shorty headers to complete your exhaust."
MAC 99-04 3.8L V6 Mustang Offroad H Pipe Shorties/Stock

I've also found:BBK Shorty H-Pipe (96-04 Off-Road) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Which says: Type Headers Required:Long Tube

On the BBK page I see that there are also "full-length" H and X pipes:http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...-x-and-h-pipes

So which H-pipe type must I use for the stock headers/manifolds?

Which manifold/header length is the stock considered? A long tube or short?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Road Trip!

The stock manifolds are shorties. With stock headers you can get away with either an X or H pipe, but I'd rather go with an H.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
The stock manifolds are shorties. With stock headers you can get away with either an X or H pipe, but I'd rather go with an H.
Great. So I can purchase MAC 99-04 3.8L V6 Mustang Offroad H Pipe Shorties/Stock
And it would fit the stock manifolds no problem?

Would this also require O2 sensor extenders to reach the MIL eliminators?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
Road Trip!

I didn't have to have extensions, but I have longtubes.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Great Info.
CAI with turbonator, Blk Cobra Rims(17x9frt, 10.5r), Plate BLKNES, Internal+external blue neons w/music interface, Blk MUSTANG letters r.bumper, Alpine Flip Out deck,(4 Rockford Fosgate 120RMS speakers, 4 way RF 600RMS Amp, 12" Audiopipe Sub 600RMS w/custom box, Mono Kicker 600RMS amp, kept mach tweeters), Blk Grille Mustang, Halo Headlights w/10K bulbs, SCT 9600, flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon to come; Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 gears with TLOK.
Blkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

If you want to keep it legal buy a set of high flow cats for a v6 mustang that converts it to dual exhaut (that fits a GT catback) and then a GT catback exhaust (it can be an OEM take off exhaust from a GT mustang where someone has upgraded etc etc) the only issue with this you will have is the rear bumper has cut outs in the gt version so the hangers may have to be adjusted or you will need a gt rear.

You can also buy a Y pipe with cats from a junk yard or something and just replace it

You might can find a shop to remove them but its doubtful~

in the end having two of the 4 cats or high flow wont sound great but will be loud.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang