Exhaust Setup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #1

Exhaust Setup

Alright, after all the replies in my thread on pipes in general I think I know what I need to purchase for the exhaust system. If I have neglected anything please let me know. I'm leaving the stock manifolds on; maybe I'll change that later when I've more money to burn.

Off-road H-pipe, I know it'll be louder(in a way some people dislike) but I can barely hear the car over the Death Metal I'm usually blasting anyhow:
MAC 99-04 3.8L V6 Mustang Offroad H Pipe Shorties/Stock

Magnaflow "cat-back":

Magnaflow Catback (99-04 GT / Mach 1 / Bullitt) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

MIL Eliminators so I'm not annoyed by the service-engine-soon light:

Mustang Plug-in MIL Eliminators at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Stainless steel turn down tips if I dump the exhaust:

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...47588&kc=AFFCJ

I think that is all I need. Anything that I've forgotten?

Thanks.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta
Re: Exhaust Setup

That sounds right, but it's up to you, remember that. It's your car, your exhaust, etc. You can youtube a few vids to see what sound you like best or compare muffler sounds and whatnot. However, if you're looking for a deeper tone, you should invest in some longtube headers from either MAC or Pacesetter.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Delta View Post
That sounds right, but it's up to you, remember that. It's your car, your exhaust, etc. You can youtube a few vids to see what sound you like best or compare muffler sounds and whatnot. However, if you're looking for a deeper tone, you should invest in some longtube headers from either MAC or Pacesetter.
Thanks for the swift reply. I like how the Mustang community helps each other out.

I can't go with the LTs even if I wanted. I've just read they hang even lower which would be a huge problem with my neighborhood's massive speedbumps which killed my stock cats. Would an aftermarket short header offer anything over the stock?

Also to clarify something for me: The Mid-piping and cat-back piping is attached by bolts or by welding them together? I assume if I dump the exhaust I will choose a point for the cat-back pipes to be cut and then the mufflers/tips will be welded on? Sorry, I am uninformed on cars in general!
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah you pretty much got it all there. If you buy the catback, it will come with polished 3.5" tips...you can always sell them to re-coup some money spent on the turndown tips if you decide to dump the exhaust.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

The stock manifolds will actually hold up unless you get a supercharger, then you'll have to get aftermarket ones. Most (even like me) just get them for the deeper tone. The midpipe will bolt on to the headers, from there you can either A. run your own custom piping and get it welded in, or B. get a cat-back exhaust that bolts in.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Thanks for the swift reply. I like how the Mustang community helps each other out.

I can't go with the LTs even if I wanted. I've just read they hang even lower which would be a huge problem with my neighborhood's massive speedbumps which killed my stock cats. Would an aftermarket short header offer anything over the stock?

Also to clarify something for me: The Mid-piping and cat-back piping is attached by bolts or by welding them together? I assume if I dump the exhaust I will chose a point for the cat-back pipes to be cut and then the mufflers/tips will be welded on? Sorry, I am uninformed on cars in general!
Basically what 19Delta said.
Unless your stock headers are are cracked or worn out...I wouldn't worry about replacing them with aftermarket ones right now. The stock headers really are fine on your n/a engine.
L/T's will give a couple of hp and a deeper sound, but do hang low, so they can be an issue for some.

The mid pipe - o/r h-pipe should bolt up to the catback system without welding. The mufflers are usually attached already to the piping that will connect to the h-pipe, and the axle pieces are already attached to the mufflers as well. If you do dump them, you should just be able to cut the axle pieces off and attach the turndown tips...the same goes if you dump it after the axle. Just attach the turndown tips where the stainless steel tips would normally attach.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 09-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I'm sorry I have to Hijack this thread, go off topic but I know how you feel about those god damn neighborhood speed bumps. On the 4th of July I went up to Bayville to catch Fireworks over the Long Island Sound with some old HS buddies. Well they had those speed bumps on these tiny one way, unmaintained streets. The houses were just really really expensive beach bungalows. So at one point I had to keep driving around the block because of the tight traffic (another story for another time) and the first time I completely bottomed out on the speed bump and I was pissed (and slightly embarrassed, I'll admit). I'm also riding at stock height mind you.

When the night was over I had to take my friend back to his car since he parked on the other side of town (again that's another story) so I had my car packed with 4 people (including myself) and needless to say it did not matter what I did over those speed bumps, I kept scraping my bottom end.

Although every time I left the gate I had the black security guard go "Oh look at that, I hear dem dumps!" Which was quite entertaining to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yah I always worried about the chin spoiler scraping when going over those ridiculously high speed bumps and odd slanted entrances. So far I've been fine, but then I'm not lowered.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust