port & polish, along with other power adders. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to CCstang2004 Send a message via Yahoo to CCstang2004
Question port & polish, along with other power adders.

I have a question for you guys. I want to get my 04 v6 heads port polished how much could this run me, cause i had a guy out of atlanta tell me he wanted like 800 bucks do to this. I also want to run a nitrous kit with a supercharger or a turbo. Im leaning more too the supercharger cause they dont break things on your car as easily. Just a few things i have already got on my car when i bought it. It already has the 8.8' rear end and i have upgraded to 17x10.5 inch rims in the rear and 17x9 in rims in the front. Ive been told my car has a 28 spline axle on it already but i dont know how true this is. Im also looking to get a set of 3.90 racing gears for my car to incorporate a more broad RPM band, in the case of the supercharger puttin so much rear end torque too my car should i change my upper and lower control arms along with changing my shocks and struts and my springs so that i dont take the chance of my blowing my rear end out. I have also been looking for a new clutch because i know that the stock clutch isnt going to be able too handle the torque and power that the car is going to put out by the time im done. So does anyone have any idea where i can find a good clutch for my car at a descent price?
CCstang2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
I want to get my 04 v6 heads port polished how much could this run me, cause i had a guy out of atlanta tell me he wanted like 800 bucks do to this.

The only place I would consider doing my heads/intakes is mike at www.rpm-mustangs.com . He is really good and you really need to let someone thats KNOWS the v6 do the work on it... anyone and do a little bowl work, but if you want the best gains per dollar spent you NEED to go with a pro that knows the v6. You can also check out supersixmotorsports.com just to be fair, but they are over priced and deliver the same stuff as mike from everythings ive seen. Its always good to shop around so do so. The investment for heads/cam/intakes will be 1500-2000~ and you also need to factor in core charges (that you get back when you send your oem stuff back) and gaskets and bolts (you really need to go with high grade bolts when you put it back together for the heads as an example)

I also want to run a nitrous kit with a supercharger or a turbo. Im leaning more too the supercharger cause they dont break things on your car as easily.

A turbo is better in many ways and wont break more than a supercharger, i guess you coudl argue that since they make better power... and more power can break stuff lol when it gets to high. I know of a custom fabed turbo kit for the v6 that runs 3000 - 3500 and the performance is AMAZING on them. The supercharger is more tried and true, more people know how to set em up and run em and all of that. You can get a warranty from vortech or procharger also (ONLY two companies to go with IMO) they run 3k~ to 4K~the power is good with them its just a matter of preference and how much you got to spend lol. The turbo is better.... the fastest v6 thats been recognized as to yet is a turbo'ed car.

Ive been told my car has a 28 spline axle on it already but i dont know how true this is.

Yes you have a 7.5 inch solid axle (the v6 model has these, the v8 has the 8.8 version). This is a weak rear end due to the spider gears in the tlok break alot. If you plan to put down a good amount of power AND go to the drag strip you need to upgrade to an 8.8 rear end. The final cost to upgrade the 7.5 with a tlok and gears is nearly what it runs to buy an 8.8 so its pretty easy to just pay a little more and get a rear end you feel safe with. A 28 spline in a 8.8 rear end will be more than enough for a long life.

Im also looking to get a set of 3.90 racing gears for my car to incorporate a more broad RPM band

I would go 3.73 with a turbo or supercharger, they tend to be the best gear for a manual tranny for every day driving.

In the case of the supercharger puttin so much rear end torque too my car should i change my upper and lower control arms along with changing my shocks and struts and my springs so that i dont take the chance of my blowing my rear end out.

I wouldnt worry about that, if you upgrade to an 8.8 you wont have problem. If you go to the track you will have a traction problem that lower control arms will help with.

I have also been looking for a new clutch because i know that the stock clutch isnt going to be able too handle the torque and power that the car is going to put out by the time im done. So does anyone have any idea where i can find a good clutch for my car at a descent price?

The stock clutch is good for 275rwhp/tq~ alot of it is how you treat it, I would get a spec stage II when you have the need.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

you can get an awesome ste of heads out of RPM mustangs but i know they are backed up right now and you can also get heads from RD motorsports, both are really respectable companies to work with. if you get heads you might as well get a new cam cause its easy to do it if your doing the heads and it you can get a new cam for the future supercharger. as far as clutches go, you can get a nice SPEC stage 3 for about $350-$380 which will hold about 450 to 500 hp. it is a ceramic clutch i believe. the stage 2 is a kevlar material. it is pretty good and only about $20 cheaper than stage 3. don't worry about your rear end going out if you have a 8.8 rear. that is beefy enough for a v6, even a blown v6. the shocks and struts, springs and control arms would be a nice add on for suspension purposes and would put the power to the gound better than stock, but its not a necessity with the 17X 10.5's in the rear. hope this is a little info. to help. i'm sure more will reply soon.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well thanks for the help man i really appreciate it. As you where saying to just go ahead and change the cams ive already ordered them. As far as the 17x10.5's i just like the big wide tires in the back makes the car look mean, lol
Old 06-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCstang2004
I have a question for you guys. I want to get my 04 v6 heads port polished how much could this run me, cause i had a guy out of atlanta tell me he wanted like 800 bucks do to this.
dude or shop? go with RPM, they have done many a heads
Quote:
I also want to run a nitrous kit with a supercharger or a turbo. Im leaning more too the supercharger cause they dont break things on your car as easily.
holy misinformation batman -- first off... you'll need more than ported heads to run nitrous with another power adder. Might I suggest a forged rotating assembly, new roller rockers, good exhaust, and new cam. As for the turbo... where did you get your information from?? A turbo and a supercharger work different ways causing the same result. Forced air into the engine. One causes more parasitic loss on the drivetrain, so it can run 11psi fine. The turbo usually runs at about 7psi on a v6 mutang, and achieves more power. Safety is all in the tune. repeat it with me --> all in the tune. Safe tune = safe car. bad tune = boom
Quote:
Just a few things i have already got on my car when i bought it. It already has the 8.8' rear end and i have upgraded to 17x10.5 inch rims in the rear and 17x9 in rims in the front. Ive been told my car has a 28 spline axle on it already but i dont know how true this is. Im also looking to get a set of 3.90 racing gears for my car to incorporate a more broad RPM band,
you do have 28 spline axles. V6s and GTs come with them stock As for the wheels. You will need to increase the power so those wheels don't slow you down due to too much rubber. 3.90s will narrow your top end if you get a blower. Look into 3.55s if you KNOW you are going to get a supercharger. Many people say "I am going to do this and this and this to my car" and never do. If you KNOW you're getting a supercharger, then get 3.55s
Quote:
in the case of the supercharger puttin so much rear end torque
lol, sorry. Funny you think you will be getting "so much rwtq"
Quote:
too my car should i change my upper and lower control arms along with changing my shocks and struts and my springs so that i dont take the chance of my blowing my rear end out.
suspension != drivetrain. Your suspension stuff has NO influence on breaking your drivetrain. All of what you mentioned would just make the car handle better. Not increase the durability of the rear
Quote:
I have also been looking for a new clutch because i know that the stock clutch isnt going to be able too handle the torque and power that the car is going to put out by the time im done. So does anyone have any idea where i can find a good clutch for my car at a descent price?
get a spec stage 2 clutch
Old 06-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Well thanks for the help man i really appreciate it. As you where saying to just go ahead and change the cams ive already ordered them. As far as the 17x10.5's i just like the big wide tires in the back makes the car look mean, lol
sure, change the cams. have fun looking for the 2nd cam though

(You only have one single cam)
Old 06-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Pushrod Powa
Old 06-29-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
sure, change the cams. have fun looking for the 2nd cam though

(You only have one single cam)
Cams... he said he ordered them... haha... haha... I'll take the second one once you realize you only have one.... haha...

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i didnt know i had one cam in my car thought it was two so when i get the cams i will talk to ya brent and see if ya want it, but i have to find out the ratios for the cams because my dad was the one that ordered it and didnt tell me and i ordered another one. Stupid me.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

:chin:
Old 06-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I guess i need to do some reasearch on the 3.9L engine before i decide on anything.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
Regular

Quote:
I guess i need to do some reasearch on the 3.9L engine before i decide on anything.
Best thing said so far by ya on here

Take a look around this:

http://www.mustangevolution.com/timeline/

I am still working on it but the 99-04 part is done... read up on all the specs etc.

Reddit
Old 06-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
I want to get my 04 v6 heads port polished how much could this run me, cause i had a guy out of atlanta tell me he wanted like 800 bucks do to this.

The only place I would consider doing my heads/intakes is mike at www.rpm-mustangs.com . He is really good and you really need to let someone thats KNOWS the v6 do the work on it... anyone and do a little bowl work, but if you want the best gains per dollar spent you NEED to go with a pro that knows the v6. You can also check out supersixmotorsports.com just to be fair, but they are over priced and deliver the same stuff as mike from everythings ive seen. Its always good to shop around so do so. The investment for heads/cam/intakes will be 1500-2000~ and you also need to factor in core charges (that you get back when you send your oem stuff back) and gaskets and bolts (you really need to go with high grade bolts when you put it back together for the heads as an example)

A turbo is better in many ways and wont break more than a supercharger, i guess you coudl argue that since they make better power... and more power can break stuff lol when it gets to high. I know of a custom fabed turbo kit for the v6 that runs 3000 - 3500 and the performance is AMAZING on them. The supercharger is more tried and true, more people know how to set em up and run em and all of that. You can get a warranty from vortech or procharger also (ONLY two companies to go with IMO) they run 3k~ to 4K~the power is good with them its just a matter of preference and how much you got to spend lol. The turbo is better.... the fastest v6 thats been recognized as to yet is a turbo'ed car.

Ive been told my car has a 28 spline axle on it already but i dont know how true this is.

Yes you have a 7.5 inch solid axle (the v6 model has these, the v8 has the 8.8 version). This is a weak rear end due to the spider gears in the tlok break alot. If you plan to put down a good amount of power AND go to the drag strip you need to upgrade to an 8.8 rear end. The final cost to upgrade the 7.5 with a tlok and gears is nearly what it runs to buy an 8.8 so its pretty easy to just pay a little more and get a rear end you feel safe with. A 28 spline in a 8.8 rear end will be more than enough for a long life.

Im also looking to get a set of 3.90 racing gears for my car to incorporate a more broad RPM band

I would go 3.73 with a turbo or supercharger, they tend to be the best gear for a manual tranny for every day driving.

In the case of the supercharger puttin so much rear end torque too my car should i change my upper and lower control arms along with changing my shocks and struts and my springs so that i dont take the chance of my blowing my rear end out.

I wouldnt worry about that, if you upgrade to an 8.8 you wont have problem. If you go to the track you will have a traction problem that lower control arms will help with.

The stock clutch is good for 275rwhp/tq~ alot of it is how you treat it, I would get a spec stage II when you have the need.

brandon you *** -- you went back and edited your post to include everything i said in a later post, but cause you're an admin, it doesn't say "edited on such and such date/time"

new guy - just so you know, i had all the info out first
Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info, and lol too kyle.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I was just thinking is there any way possible to upgrade the transmission in the V6's too a bigger transmission or possibly too a 6 speed?????
Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #17
Regular

Quote:
I was just thinking is there any way possible to upgrade the transmission in the V6's too a bigger transmission or possibly too a 6 speed?????
Yes but again its alot of money.

If you want a beefier tranny look for the Gefore T-5 trannies

Reddit
Old 06-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

what about a tremec t-5 or the tremec tko-600?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:04 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Brent means GeForce. I think Geforce is cheaper and just as reliable as Tremec
Old 06-30-2005, 02:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

ah ok im tracking now. preciate it
Old 06-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
Quote:
what about a tremec t-5 or the tremec tko-600?
You know you already have a t-5, right? Anyways, your tranny is not gonna be the weak link in your setup. If anything it'll be your rear-end and it's not that weak to begin with.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The thing is i know that transmission isnt weak its just the idea of i know that the tranny can only handle so much torque too the rear end of the car, And also my dad let me know that i already have the 8.8 rear in my car when we bought it, so the previous own went ahead and did me my favor, lol
Old 06-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
The thing is i know that transmission isnt weak its just the idea of i know that the tranny can only handle so much torque too the rear end of the car, And also my dad let me know that i already have the 8.8 rear in my car when we bought it, so the previous own went ahead and did me my favor, lol
Nope, if you have a V6, you have a 7.5 rear-end, not a 8.8. Unless, someone modified that already, but the factory on the V6 is a 7.5.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
i think he meant the guy before him did swap in an 8.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the t-56 tranny is a waste for straight line performance, its an autox tranny. Dont mess with it unless you want to autox. You can run the viper spec however its nice for drag, that final .50 ratio really boosts gas milage, stupid ford didnt do that.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

And yeah 97stallion i know the V6 comes stock with a 7.5 rear end, but mine has the 8.8 because the guy that had the car before me went ahead and changed the rear end to the 8.8. So he did me that big favor and i dont have to use any of my money too get a new reaer end.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

OK, just wanted to clarify that. But i did also say unless someone else did it for you already

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang