Magnaflow exhaust opinions/ help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Magnaflow exhaust opinions/ help

I've really heard good things about magnaflow, and it sounds great on my friends toyota spider. but i've never heard one on a v6 mustang. how loud is it? i want a nice sound, but i dont want it to be competing with my stereo because i am a HUGE music person. cant go anywhere in my car without the music playing.

what do yall think?
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Magnaflow exhaust opinions/ help

I've heard different Magnaflows on mustangs, both online and in person, and I didn't like them as much as I do Pypes, Borla, even Flowmaster (though they are crap quality).

The regular Magnaflows on the v6 bolt on system sounded to ricey and high pitched to me. The Magnapacks belong on v8 mustangs and that's it.

But that's just me. There are others that have Magnaflows and like them and prefer them over other brands. Listen to some clips, try and listen to some in person, and make your decision from there. If anything, you could always swap mufflers if you don't like the sound.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

does anyone know where there is a clip of a v6 with magnaflow? i found one for v8, but thats not the same...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Here ya go:

19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

hey 19delta, its not coming up. is there a link to it?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Yeah, you can youtube 'v6 mustang magnaflow exhaust' and it should bring up a ton of them.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wonderful thank you
Old 09-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

okay, well if you dont like the magnaflow, what would you recommend for a v6 that sounds good, but wont be so loud that i have a hard time hearing my music?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Road Trip!

I would suggest flowmaster.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You'll be able to hear your music with just about any exhaust brand as long as you keep your cats. Our even firing engines are naturally quiet...which is a good thing, a quiet, mellow v6 sounds way better than a loud raspy annoying v6.

I'd look up Pypes, Flowmaster, or Borla if you don't want Magnaflow. I like the Pypes Street Pro mufflers currently on my stang. They have a nice deep idle, and a more exotic "race" tone wot, yet they're not overpowering of any music in the cabin.

But again, exhaust is purely a personal preference.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a link to some pypes dual exhaust i found... it seems unusually cheap... what do you guys think?

Pypes 1998-04 V6 Mustang Exhaust System with ypipe SFM50 By Pypes Performance Exhaust, Mustang 1994-2004 V6
Old 09-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's basically the same system I have, only mine has the SS tips. It probably won't just "bolt on" without fitment issues. I put the system on in my garage, and ended up taking it to my mechanic to cut some of the piping. It was only 3 or 4 inches, so it wasn't huge.

You may want to consider either purchasing the Pacesetter adapter for the v6, which allows you to bolt any GT/Mach 1 catback on your v6. OR have a body shop custom fabricate some piping and weld in your choice of mufflers. This way you eliminate the y-pipe and will allow the gases to flow better.

Normally, this method is cheaper than a typical catback, but the Pypes converter-back is pretty cheap. You probably could just buy that system for less than it would cost a shop to make duals.

I was on a tight budget at the time (still in high school) and bought the Pypes system.
I am happy with it, it is a nice system, if you're not looking to spend a ton on exhaust, this system isn't bad at all.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
That's basically the same system I have, only mine has the SS tips. It probably won't just "bolt on" without fitment issues. I put the system on in my garage, and ended up taking it to my mechanic to cut some of the piping. It was only 3 or 4 inches, so it wasn't huge.

You may want to consider either purchasing the Pacesetter adapter for the v6, which allows you to bolt any GT/Mach 1 catback on your v6. OR have a body shop custom fabricate some piping and weld in your choice of mufflers. This way you eliminate the y-pipe and will allow the gases to flow better.

Normally, this method is cheaper than a typical catback, but the Pypes converter-back is pretty cheap. You probably could just buy that system for less than it would cost a shop to make duals.

I was on a tight budget at the time (still in high school) and bought the Pypes system.
I am happy with it, it is a nice system, if you're not looking to spend a ton on exhaust, this system isn't bad at all.
yes, i am on a very tight budget to, as i am a senior in high school. so what would you recommend as the cheapest but still efficient option?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If you can find a GT takeoff exhaust, that'd be the cheapest route. They aren't as easy to come by as they were a few years ago. Check salvage yards or locals and see if anyone has a GT/Mach 1 catback available. You could always check with Prestige Mustang in Georgia...they have a bunch of wrecked mustangs.

http://www.prestigemustang.com/

Aside from a takeoff system, I'd say a "bolt on" system like the Pypes converter back system is the next best thing.

I don't know how much it costs a shop to fabricate duals these days. The price fluctuates depending on the brand of mufflers. If you can get a shop to fab duals and your choice of mufflers for $329, do that, if not, go with the Pypes system.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Thumbs down Re: Magnaflow exhaust opinions/ help

DO NOT PUT MAGNAFLOWS ON A V6! i tried it you will be pissed and laughed at! it sounds like a honda! i have a mac o/r h pipe with flowmasters and flowmaster 2.5 tips and i get v8 guys tellin me my stang sounds good! PLEASE save yourself some embarassement! ppl are gonna laugh at your bumble bee! i was so pissed i switched to magnaflows cause it cost me $300 then anither $40 to switch back to flowmasters! waste of money and time! I VOTE NO on magNOflows
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227

I got some borla mufflers for sale. I thought they were to quite. So I went straight pipe. But ifyoiur looking to do side exit exhuast these would be perfect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust