Ah! can't decide. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question Ah! can't decide.

My 2000 V6 has 209,5xx miles on it.

It's starting to scare me.
It had problems when we first bought it, and the problems continue to this day.

I'm in the process of raising funds as of now.

Is an engine swap worth it?

The body is not so great (rear passenger quarter panel above wheel is dented terribly, front bumper is messed up, hood is slightly cracked at front, etc.)

It takes a long time to start up, the auto transmission is (i think) going out, and has other problems associated with a 200k+ mileage car.

The interior is eh, the front seats have tears, the center console lid is cracked, etc.

But I have done some things:

I just bought all new seats (both front as well as back seats)
got a hood from a 2001, but it's white (needs repainting)
got a front bumper from a GT,
but those are not in yet and am not sure about actually putting them on.

99 percent of the bad things were present when my mom bought the car (she knows nothing about cars)

ANYWAYS:

I've been doing a lot of research.

I have the possibility of getting a new car (not brand new, but newer) next summer.
OR:
I can rebuild this one and go from there.

Though I would love a 03-04 cobra, I couldn't even pay the insurance ( i doubt i could even get it) due to my status as a 17 year old male.

A V8 would be great though,... i just love the sound!

What all goes into swapping out an engine?
It would be sweet to switch out a v8 into my v6 so i'd still have the power without the extra insurance haha.

I need to get a new transmission, probably within the next year, and I would love to get a manual (this would require alot of work, I'm sure.)

If I were to put in a V8, would I have to get bigger springs and such? bigger brakes? wider tires? wider exhaust piping? wider rear axle?

How much would all this cost?

i just want to know what I'm getting myself into before i spend too much money and end up in a bigger hole than the one I'm already in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Ah! can't decide.

i know this is a ridiculously long post, but I have a lot on my mind haha.

Sorry!
and
Thanks for reading,.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Dude, I'm sorry but at 200k.. I'd sell it before I dropped a V8 in it..

You've got to think, though the platform is great, 200k road miles is ALOT. Frame's bend over time, and just like Gran Turismo 4, if it wasn't reinforced back then regardless as to how momma drove it, its gonna have a bit of twist and flex. What I'm trying to say is.........

Save your money, sell your sixer and maybe buy an older model GT. even those (I'm sorry guys..) ugly 93 and down... (Though the convertibles are nice. )

1996 Chevy Lumina - My old sweetheart. I don't care what anyone says, it just won't ever die. Had more soul then a Temptations record. With 235k on the tach, it'd still roast the front tires.
LuminaV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

selling yours and geting a gt mach1 or cobra would be cheaper. If you want to hide it from the insurance company you will need a complete v8 engine from pan to intake all the sensors tranny probably driveshaft new computer 8.8 rear end all new suspension and figure out a way to get a third pedal in there. THEN do all your body work there are some more things in there i'm sure that i did not mention
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah, unless you're able to do 99% of the labor involved with the swap, it probably wouldn't be worth it...and as LuminaV2 mentioned, the car itself has 200k miles. Stress and flexing over time really affect the framing and overall condition of the car.

A typical engine swap can cost anywhere from $1500-5000 after parts and labor, and that's just for the engine/tranny swap. You still have to upgrade your drivetrain and suspension, which is another couple grand.

I'm not trying to deter you, but if I was in your position, I would probably try and sell your current car, and look into an older GT. There are some 94-96 GT's around for under 6k in decent condition.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Or check out MPS Auto Salvage -Mustang salvage, New and Used Mustang parts, they usually have a few wrecked 99-04 GT's and cobras.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can do what I did, save your money until you are older and you have enough to buy what you want. At 17 you really dont need anything fast (well a 99-04 GT doesnt fit that bill anyway stock) but insurance on it will be to high.

I would personally buy something nice and good on gas and save up~ you car will be fine as it is with some upkeep and if the engine goes~ its cheap to replace.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for bringin up the point about the frame and such, never really thought about it that much.

So far the most that I've heard from everyone I've talked to is saying to sell it and look for another one with (a lot) less miles before doing an engine swap.

Thanks guys.

Definitely gonna have to do some more thinking, and I still have time to do so.

I'l probably end up drivin this one till the engine/trans fail on me, then sell the car for parts haha.

We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hey nothing wrong with that. Though you don't want to be in the situation of your car failing on you when you absolutely need it...that can be bad.

You could always do what SpectorV said and buy a small, economical 4 door for now and save up. Then you could always buy another stang...make it a nice graduation gift to yourself lol. My friend from high school did that. He drove a prius his junior/senior year, saved up and freshman year of college bought an 01 5spd GT in decent condition...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If you do decide to get another car to last you why not just get another v6 mustang with fewer miles and in better condition.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Haha, I feel your pain.

My old car, the Lumina... I loved it to pieces, literally and metaphorically... The front bumper was ziptied on and it had a dented hood from where my friend laid on it, but I always wanted to put a big engine in there, convert it to rwd, and make it a beast.

Then sensibilities yelled at me.

1996 Chevy Lumina - My old sweetheart. I don't care what anyone says, it just won't ever die. Had more soul then a Temptations record. With 235k on the tach, it'd still roast the front tires.
LuminaV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
If you do decide to get another car to last you why not just get another v6 mustang with fewer miles and in better condition.
This is true

Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
This is true
we've always been on the same page lol
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
we've always been on the same page lol

Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Smile Re: Ah! can't decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminaV2 View Post
Haha, I feel your pain.

My old car, the Lumina... I loved it to pieces, literally and metaphorically... The front bumper was ziptied on and it had a dented hood from where my friend laid on it, but I always wanted to put a big engine in there, convert it to rwd, and make it a beast.

Then sensibilities yelled at me.
Hahaha I just switched from a 97 chevyy lumina to my 08 mustang v6 damn
my lumina just wldnt give up either. happy to have the new mustang, but I have got a lot of memories in that car.
junoS197Bl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I would definately move to a newer v6 or gt before i dropped the money on putting in a V8 and having to set everything up. I recently bought an 08 V6 and I have been driving for less than 3 years (which is when most insurance companies have a dip in how much they charge you). The insurance on my new mustang is not much more than what I paid for my 1997 chevy lumina. Plus it is definately worth paying the little bit extra to be able to drive this beauty.
junoS197Bl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via AIM to Firewolf

Hmm, I see how it is guys. Answer everyone else when it comes to motor swap out bits but ignore mine! lol Anyway, I guess that sort of answers my questions anyway. Though over all I'm planning on making this 96 convert last, change one part at a time until it's brand new. Keep it in the family, give it to the little one when he's of age kind of thing....but while that's going on I plan to make it the best it can possibly be, ya'know? So maybe I'll make sure the frame and everything beneath the car are in tact and or replaced / reinforced before I worry about the engine. Until then I can do all the spiffy little bolt ons to get a little more out of it.
Firewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

A motor swap is not financially feasible really ever. Especially not as a 17 year old.

Besides, if you get in an accident with a V8 Mustang that you've been paying insurance on as a V6 Mustang, you better believe that your insurance company will send you straight up **** creek and will make it a point to NOT give you paddles.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

over 200k is awesome, there are NO v8 mustangs in that shape, so it all depends on if you want another car with longevity or a car that will last about 100k with awesome acceleration (ok, and awesome sound). The 4.0 can easily outrun the 99-04 GTs with minimal bolt ons, (of course it doesn't sound nearly as amazing) but hey, it's affordable with almost 30MPG highway and low insurance...
stangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

we all contemplate having a v8 at that age when we have a v6. I have been there. I will tell you what to do, but you wont like it and you wont do it.

Save your money, all you can, when you get out of college you will have enough to buy just about what ever vehicle you wish.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

But but but. Spectorrrrr D=

It's quite alright. 'm getting my hands on an '83 5.0 v8 for less than 2k. It drives reliably enough to be a daily driver and the body is just a little roughed up.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Your post is not long at all!

Ramble away

I nursed my first car a year past its expiration date - and it had a ton of problems, but it still fired up and got me there 99% of the time.. Same with the car following..

I saved up my funds, and built credit (Using credit cards but PAYING THEM FULLY each month) after a few more clunker cars I bought my first car on my own at age 19 (it was an 89 GT, it was the car I owned when I joined ME.com!) Soon followed by a monte carlo ('98 z34) Soon replaced by a 2002 GT.. and it's moved on from there..

It's a painfully slow process unless you have a great job.. But it pays off in the end..

And in the meantime, you could have a MUCH worse beater as your first car.. Mine was an 86 honda prelude, dual carb with TONS of issues, wouldn't idle, clutch slipped, etc...

Just my $.02, not worth anything I'm sure
Old 10-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to dtbback

Need,

I gotta say man. Listen to the advice of becoming satisfied and saving. At seventeen i know that having a kick-*** car is a staple of coolness in highschool. Believe me I drove a 91 POS Accord but i can tell you with 200,000+ mile car got me where I needed to go. I saved for two years on got my first truck my F150 and boy was it worth waiting and working for. You will appreciate the next car you get your hands on or your own 100x more if it is a goal you have had to really work towards. It will make you care for and be more attentive for your car than you ever have before. And, at that point when you have saved and worked you will have enough money to go in any direction you choose. Whether it be restoring your current baby or getting a new one.

But if you are going to restore your baby after saving may I make a few parts suggestions

Super Six Motor Sports 4.3 Stroker Kit about 1800
Super Six heads 500+ I think
Built T5 tranny 2000
8.8 rear end 100-300 Craigslist
suspension and Chassis (Kenny Brown recommended) 2000
TMA turbo kit 3500
Misc: 1000
Install 2000

Total Build:Approx 14k

End result:
400+ RWHP on Pump gas
23+ MPG HWY on Pump Gas
V6 Insurance Rates
Better F/R weight ratio
*****in One of a Kind Ride

Now I know my numbers may be a little off but hey that is what I am looking at for my build. to be honest my build started cuz I hydrolocked my motor. Insurance paid for the rebuild. Got insurance scammed by some lady. then came the body Kit. and now she is almost there and my sensible side just never seemed to win the debate. Check my profile for my mods list. lol.

Anyway man just enjoy your car. Who cares if other people call her a beater she is yours. You depend on her and she comes through. In other words man JUST DRIVE.

Will
dtbback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea, ive been there. I wanted a GT in high school and couldnt afford it and no parents willing to just dump money into my lap so... I had to suck it up. When I got to college I decided to just save all I could and after college get what I wanted (after finding a job of course) worked out great.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah...when I was in HS I was driving a 1990 buick century... woo? Then to top it all of , instead of my parents giving me money, said parents sold -my car- while I was out of town. And never gave me the money for it to this day. lmao
Old 10-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

drop s 5.4 in it lol! dont be scaarreeddd LOL
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

same here, but my priorities changed...

when i was in HS and in early college, i wanted a GT so bad. i thought id get one when i graduated, drop in a supercharger and all these mods... well that day came from me and i decided to get a cheapo good on gas car without driving a clunker. reason being, i get reimbursed for traveling expenses, so less gas i use, the more change in my pocket.

also, fairfax county got this wonderful annual tax of 5% of your car's value which is insane with all the bmws, mercedes, lexus, porsches, and aston martins i see on the roads.

i love cars, and will own a nice one one day, but for now, furniture, wedding, house, etc are priority.

sadly, it may just be put on the backburner until my mid life crisis lol

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

lol, i graduated in 06 and from my senior year till now i drive a 96 protege, although the protege series sounds cool, 95-98 suck, and by suck i mean very baddly... but its an awesome little grocery getter, only problem is it has 218k on it, but it hasn't given me any problems (one shot battery and a loose dist cap (which i mistook for a bad distrubitor, so that cash spending was my own fault)

i got my gt around 2.5 ish years after i graduated hs and wasn't exactly trying to buy a car when i found it.

just make sure you have money, i find other mustangs i wish i had money for, but i'm going back to school and not working so money is tight. find a good job that you kinda enjoy that pays good, and try not to get laid off

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
sadly, it may just be put on the backburner until my mid life crisis lol
Let's see you were born and you're not dead yet. I'd say you're somewhere mid-life
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00

damn thats alot of miles mine got 103.000 do what spectorv said save your money
00STANG00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang