'02 V6 starting point - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #1

'02 V6 starting point

hi,

i've got a totally stock '02 V6 and i want to start working on the car but i have no clue where to start. i thought i'd swap out the exhaust and install a dual system first--any suggestions as to which brand is best: magnaflow, bassani, borla, etc...?

my big question is should i begin with the bolt-ons or start working on the internal components first?

any help is much appreciated,

Jon
JonL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to CrzyBeautiful Send a message via Yahoo to CrzyBeautiful
Red face Re: '02 V6 starting point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL1 View Post
hi,

i've got a totally stock '02 V6 and i want to start working on the car but i have no clue where to start. i thought i'd swap out the exhaust and install a dual system first--any suggestions as to which brand is best: magnaflow, bassani, borla, etc...?

my big question is should i begin with the bolt-ons or start working on the internal components first?

any help is much appreciated,

Jon
First of all welcome to the site. There are alot of awesome & knowledgable folks on this site - so you have come to the right place!!! Don't forget to tell us a little bit about yourself in Introductions & Greetings.

As for your question(s), there are ALOT of articles about how to start with your car. You can start here: http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t5654/. This thread gives you a suggestion on where to start - but ultimately it is up to you, your budget & the condition of your car. As a recent '02 owner myself, I can tell you that I have started working on the inside of my car to insure that it is working properly & efficently. If you haven't had some sort of all-point inspection for your car I HIGHLY recommend it.

You can also search through the dedicated V6 Mustang Forums (Same place you made this post). You will find that alot of topics have been covered mutliple times - so you should be able to find what you are looking for.

And most importantly have fun & enjoy yourself - again - WELCOME!

CrzyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: '02 V6 starting point

Do you have any ultimate plans for the car? What about your financial situation (rhetorical question, you don't actually have to anser that )

If you can afford it then definitely start working the internals, especially if you plan on getting huge gains out of the engine such as FI.

But this can be lengthy and not really for the home mechanic. If you are looking to do the work yourself or some minor improvements at first than start with the bolt ons. CAI, Cat-back or header back.

As for the best brand everyone has their opinions. Best bet is to search youtube and find audio/video clips of the different brands and choose which one you like best. Many members here regard Borla as the best (and most expensive). Borla is also currently making the FRPP racing exhaust for the new models. Many members like Mac headers and Bassini catbacks. Magnaflows are also great for the car, and for Flowmasters, well there are plenty of Mustang owners who have or have had Flowmasters on a Mustang.

You could always get something fabbed up or custom made (like straight pipes). Going dual exhaust gives the car a nicer tone as well as a great appearance. There are plenty of kits on the market and how to's on getting this done and on getting, or fixing the rear bumper to accept the dual exhaust tips. Between headers you can go with either a X-pipe or H-pipe, each gives the exhaust it's own tone.

Should also probably save up for a Tune. If you have a lot on doing to the car then you can save this for any major mods or when you have a few done that way the mods and the tune will benefit greatly from each other.

Rear end gears and perhaps the 8.8" rear end and a T-LOK are some other big mods for the V6.

That's off the top of my head and just the tip of the ice berg. Read that article though it has great valuable information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah, I'd say these two got you pretty well taken care of...

I just want to add that the biggest thing is to decide where you want to go with the car as far as modding. Do you want a mild bolt on daily driver, or a built track car? The v6 is a great car with great potential, but you have to have the money, time, and patience to get it there.

There are many people who have 300rwhp turbo, supercharged, or built (internals) v6's, and there are plenty of people who just use bolt ons/tune, gain 25hp, and are happy with that...and there are some who decide that they would rather transfer into a v8 model car...in the end, it's up to you.

CrzyBeautiful made a good point...make sure you maintain basic upkeep on your car. Engine maintenance, interior/exterior upkeep, engine cleaning, etc. These basic, yet essential things will keep your car running/performing for a very long time.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

there all right but i want to throw in my 2 cents about the exhaust ur wanting! DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT put magnaflows on a v6 mustang. it makes a ricey tone. it does however give u a lil more power it felt like! i have a mac o/r h pipe (no cats) with flowmaster and flowmaster 2.5 tips! V8 guys always say me car sounds mean! i messed around and paid $300 cause this muffler shop said magnaflows would make it sound like a cobra. me being a beginning sixer at the time was like "hellz yea"! well he took my money and my mustang sounded like a honda for a week then i had to pay $50 to have my flowmasters put BACK on! so long story short i would go flowmasters if ur going for a v8 tone! Thank you
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to dtbback

Jon,

try looking into an underdrive pulley kit. Steeda and few other companies sell them. You can free up and easy ten horsepower with it. I think it has the most bang for your buck. Also look into a simple cold air intake kit. i am partial to K&N myself but go with waht suits you. You should be able to free up another few ponies.

This is a good starting point budget wise as far as i am concerned. These bolt ons will let you know what kind of horsepower thirst you have. If your newly freed ponies make you want to free some more then you know what next. I think the rest of the guys have you covered on that. If you are happy with those additions but want a bit more i would suggest going to your suspension mods next. doing this will enable you to feel more contact with your newly freed ponies. A simple EIbach Kit may be all you need. Also it will imporve your ride feel. So there are a few other alternatives for ya. When you are ready to get started I suggest taking and posting pics cause it a great way to watch your baby grow.
dtbback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

To build on dtbback's post I think BBK makes UDPs for the V6 as well. I think they are a little cheaper too. I think those are the only two "major" companies I've noticed that makes the V6 UDP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

ASP makes underdrive pulleys as well. I know some people have used this brand. The crank dampner pulley is $224.95 for your mustang.

http://www.aspracing.com/ford.htm

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

nearly all bolt ons do very very little and probably wont even really be noticable. Gears/Tlok and a tune will help more than anything.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Amen SpectorV lol! those are the most effective mods than ofcourse the obvious turbo and suoercharger, nitrous!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang