'96 Mustang Convertible HELP! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Firewolf is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to Firewolf
'96 Mustang Convertible HELP!

Alright....Here is the run down.

Basically, the car is a convertible, I hate it. It's sun warped and doesn't seal at the drivers side window properly. Not only that but the damned thing is crooked when I try to lower or raise it, so I never use it.

: What I want : The ability to remove said convertible top and put on either a permanent hard top, or a removable hard top, if the mood ever strikes me to remove it...I just cant stand it and don't feel like replacing it every few years.

~ Better performance. I've been skimming through and reading up what I can and chose to do a good number of the things already. Cold Air Intake and a new chip....though I'm not sure what to look for in the chips to assess them properly, so that info would be nice.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: '96 Mustang Convertible HELP!

No suggestions? Really?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
I liek gramer
Legacy

WhiteStang99 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

I can't help you with the vert top... I don't know of anybody who has done that before, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

As far as performance, there is a ton of great info around on this site. It's hands-down the best place to go on the net for performance tips. You might get a little more of a response if we knew whether you had a V6 or a GT.

CAI and chip is a great way to get started. I'd also suggest exhaust. The best way to mod your car for performance is to decide exactly what you want out of it before you get started. That will keep you from spending money you don't need to, or having to buy parts for the same thing twice. What exactly are you looking for out of your Mustang?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

OsirisGuy is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

SpectorV posted up a company that is looking into making hard tops for the Mustang. Which looks to be very expensive since they still seem to be in the R&D phase. You could also look into getting a new top.

As for mods the first couple of steps are CAI, exhaust, tune, gears. What are your goals for the car? What are your limits? Are you looking into getting certain things accomplished and building from there?

Also what kind of Mustang are you driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well, it's just a plain V6 Convertible, no fancy title.

And for your point of finding what you want before spending, that's why I'm here.
I want it fast, and strong. I don't have fancy things to say because I'm new to cars, building and redoing them myself that is... My limits for cost are kind of null....I'm thinking [from looking at the guide I'd seen in suggestions earlier] that I may go as far as stage three ..but no further. I don't need it -that- fancy. I'm going to be going one part at a time really and learning as I go.

For the 'gears' what does 'rear gear' mean exactly? They mentioned that in the suggestions area....told you I'm new.
And for the tuning, suggested that someone else [aka a mechanic] does a tune up and timing check on it or..?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

OsirisGuy is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Awesome, I get a shameless self promotional plug for an article I just submitted
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t158093/

That will tell you what rear end gears are all about. In sum it just allows extra torque to be applied to the rear wheels without adding any actual horsepower.

If the car isn't a daily driver and it's more of a project car go invest in some books right now - that should be your first mod. Haynes is a start and if you can afford it (look on eBay) pick up a Ford Shop Manual for your year.

Of course this only builds up to that fact if you want a stronger engine you'll want to go with forged internals. Some new heads to go with. This is ideal and mandatory if you want to go with forced induction (super charger, turbo charger, spray). Of course this is ideal.

Start off with the basics. CAI, exhaust all things you can do yourself and learn your way around the car. Learn how to turn a wrench so to speak.

In fact I got a first project for you - removing the "air silencer" from the stock intake:
Mustangworld How-To's INDEX

A basic tune up is always great. If you want the car running a long time and lasting you really need to keep on maintenance, make sure everything is up to date and par for the car before going crazy. It will save a ton of headaches.

As for the tune - it refers to something a little different. Since today's cars are run using computers the factory settings for these cars are very ambiguous and are "tuned" for the average person. You would have to take it to a specific shops, or reputable online tuners, to get new software for the computers. The benefits for of this is that the "tune" is designed for your car and instead of an all around tune, the new tune is say "race car" specific or "fuel economy". Basically depending on the mods you do the car will benefit a little, but telling the car's computer that "hey, something is different, work with it" you will get a lot more out of the tune and even a stock car in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Zebs5408 is unknown around these parts

i bough 373 gears with posi tract for under $300 then had them installed for $300! $600 is worth the first fly by on GT
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Perfect. If I'd have known that was in there [ the silencer ] I would have popped that out sooner...but what it really comes down to is that I'm trying to replace it with a short ram open air filter....KN...But...I found one online for 180, filter, cleaner and pipe for the car..but when I went to the local car shops they didn't have any stock and the damned KN -catalog- tried to tell me there was no such thing as a 96 mustang ....[non cobra/gt]

Also, the Rear End Gear FAQ really helped, I appreciate it. I'm not the greatest on cars, so that's sweet.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Zebs5408 is unknown around these parts

i would go with a MAC cold air intake if thats what ur looking for! Mine has done well for 3 years and still looks brand new! plus if u have a 5 speed right as you push down on the clutch and hit the gas it gives it a little BOV whistle sound, i love it. it runs around $130 for ur model. Intakes arent really worth spending $300 on. you want actually get but 2-5hp to the wheel despite what the box says. it will tell you 15-20hp but thats not to the wheel! theres a difference!

04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang