power adders and smog legal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq
Question power adders and smog legal

I have a 99 V6 with 65,000 miles on it. At this point i'm thinking i want to keep it but i was wondering about putting in a crate motor when it gets up there in the mileage. www.supersixmotorsports.com
Does anyone know about power adders or crate engines that i can still pass smog with, since my car is a daily driver. Will changing out the cams and rocker arms affect this cuz of the advanced timing? i'm hoping somone out there has done some mods to the engine and can give me advice.

I have a Mac CAI, UDP, true dual exhaust with flow master 40 series, and diablo tuner as far as mods go. (yea i know, no big deal but thought it would help to let u know)
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via AIM to spadez81
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq
I have a 99 V6 with 65,000 miles on it. At this point i'm thinking i want to keep it but i was wondering about putting in a crate motor when it gets up there in the mileage. www.supersixmotorsports.com
Does anyone know about power adders or crate engines that i can still pass smog with, since my car is a daily driver. Will changing out the cams and rocker arms affect this cuz of the advanced timing? i'm hoping somone out there has done some mods to the engine and can give me advice.

I have a Mac CAI, UDP, true dual exhaust with flow master 40 series, and diablo tuner as far as mods go. (yea i know, no big deal but thought it would help to let u know)
I'm not experienced with crate engines as of yet, but I've heard of people having crate engines in their daily drivers. For one, you should decide how much you want to do with a crate engine. Another thing is depending on where you live find out what your emission laws are and go from there. But it is possible to be smog legal with a crate motor with the right tuning
Old 07-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

the cam is the main thing responsible for smog
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq
yea i thought cams would be the issue, but i like the idea of everything being in one package so i don't have to worry about what fits with what. i guess i'll do some more research. I live in California so rules here are a little more restrictive as far as smog goes.
i'm looking to get at least 240 at the wheels for now, so i can spend money on suspension and other stuff. anyways thanks for the responses.
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq
yea i thought cams would be the issue, but i like the idea of everything being in one package so i don't have to worry about what fits with what. i guess i'll do some more research. I live in California so rules here are a little more restrictive as far as smog goes.
i'm looking to get at least 240 at the wheels for now, so i can spend money on suspension and other stuff. anyways thanks for the responses.
first off, you only have 1 cam in a v6. not cam(s).

next. You can get SSM to put any cam you want in a built motor. If you are needing emissions control, just get a 207 cam and good ported heads
Old 08-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #6

Region: Mississippi
Re: power adders and smog legal

Well I have to say I'm kinda new to the idea of modding v6's b/c I've always did v8's and been other other people that did the same. So I have to ask....why spend that much money on a v6 crate motor? Why not just go 4.6?

Engine: 351w, small cam, Holley 650db carb, stealth intake, AFR185s, Crane 1.6 RR's

Tranny: C4 w/ BTE converter, hardened input shaft, and full manual reverse valvebody

Chassis: Eibach drag launch kit and X2C lower control arms

Times pending
mrpburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpburke
Well I have to say I'm kinda new to the idea of modding v6's b/c I've always did v8's and been other other people that did the same. So I have to ask....why spend that much money on a v6 crate motor? Why not just go 4.6?
It's a "my v6 puts more power down than your v8" thing. It's funny to watch a V6 walk Gt's and vette's.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

the reason is that simple...bragging rights. whats more impressive...? to have a v6 that has over 400rwhp or a gt v8 with over 400rwhp. everybody mods gt's and not many people mod v6's. sure it costs a lot more to mod a v6 to get that power but it is pretty impressive to a lot of people. a v6 is also lighter by a couple hundred lbs.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:41 PM   #9

So it's kinda the same outlook that the import guys have?

Engine: 351w, small cam, Holley 650db carb, stealth intake, AFR185s, Crane 1.6 RR's

Tranny: C4 w/ BTE converter, hardened input shaft, and full manual reverse valvebody

Times pending
Old 08-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #10
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Yep but with Torque and RWD. There is a 700RWHP V6 Mustang owner on this site that has ran a best of 10.3 to my knowledge.

It is his daily driver too.....

Its all in what you like. My car mods in my sig make me happy and raises eye brows when people ask what I got... people have thought Danger Dude on here had a 5.0 in his car due to his cam at idle. I know that you cant make a 6 sound like a 8 but at idle its damn near hard to tell the difference with a cammed v6.

That is what its about for me.

Not to mention we get alot of crap from V8 owners because we lack two cylinders... I got sick of that which lead to my build up. I respect any fast car... doesnt mean I would buy the car but if its fast than more power to you for making it that way whether it be 4cyl or 10...

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:50 PM   #11

Naa dude....I think it's cool. I like to see different stuff like that. You dont see it everyday. Awesome!

Times pending
Old 08-21-2005, 11:52 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
what import has a v8?

It's that imports can be made to go fast, cheap. On my import, I gained easily 30whp with just exhaust. Another 30whp or so from a dynotune.
With just: exhaust, intake, 2 more psi of boost, cams, fuel pump, I have put down an extra 150whp

Imports are a whole different world.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:56 PM   #13
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
what import has a v8?

It's that imports can be made to go fast, cheap. On my import, I gained easily 30whp with just exhaust. Another 30whp or so from a dynotune.
With just: exhaust, intake, 2 more psi of boost, cams, fuel pump, I have put down an extra 150whp

Imports are a whole different world.
I think he meant that V6 Mustang owners who put money like me into their car have the same outlook as imports who dump money into their car to go fast on 4cyl.

Reddit
Old 08-21-2005, 11:56 PM   #14

I was referring the the "my v6 puts down more than your v8" comment. I've got some import buddies in my hometown that are by far not ricers. They are import owners. They have pretty quick NA Honda's. They just like them b/c they are, like you said, cheap to mod and they find it more impressive when their NA 4 cyclinder beats modded GT's. I find that impressive as well. I'm a speed lover....whether it be a domestic, import, 4 cyclinder, v6, v8, v10, etc.

Times pending
Old 08-22-2005, 12:29 AM   #15
Regular

Quote:
I was referring the the "my v6 puts down more than your v8" comment. I've got some import buddies in my hometown that are by far not ricers. They are import owners. They have pretty quick NA Honda's. They just like them b/c they are, like you said, cheap to mod and they find it more impressive when their NA 4 cyclinder beats modded GT's. I find that impressive as well. I'm a speed lover....whether it be a domestic, import, 4 cyclinder, v6, v8, v10, etc.
Exactly.... as long as its tasteful and clean why not?

Reddit
Old 08-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

yeah my 2000 v6 is n/a and is able to beat mildly modded 99+ gt's. i have the h/c/i swap and exhaust, headers, and ud puley, mac cai and sct x-cal 2, with s 5 speed and 3.73 gears with a ford racing t-lok. you gain a lot of respect from gt owners when they know that your v6 can beat some modded gt's and almost every n/a 96-98 gt, depending on where you live.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #17

So what kinda 1/8th and 1/4 mile times ya'll running in those v-6's???

BTW....Brent....thats a nice mod list ya got there! I'd like to see that car in action.

Times pending
Old 08-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
BTW....Brent....thats a nice mod list ya got there! I'd like to see that car in action.
I think brent would like to see that car in action sometime too...Unless it is finally back together and I missed it.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:16 PM   #19
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin
I think brent would like to see that car in action sometime too...Unless it is finally back together and I missed it.
Nah she goes together in about 2 weeks hopefully. Corey should be letting me know sometime this week when he will be able to make it down here

Reddit
Old 08-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #20
Regular

Quote:
So what kinda 1/8th and 1/4 mile times ya'll running in those v-6's???

I hope to run high 13's with my auto and mid to low 13's with a 5-speed swap

Reddit
Old 08-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

before i put in the gears and t-lok i ran a 14.1 and with the gears and t-lok i now run 13.79. the gears help out a lot with my set up because my cam doesn't give me anything down low so the gears help my get up into my power ban quicker. with the h/c/i swap my car pulls really hard from 3000-6000 all the way to the redline.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

this spring i'm getting a new procharger kit 11psi. i want to try to get 14psi out of it so by then i will run in the low 12 range.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to tedness

Quote:
plus the wiring for a 94+ v6 to v8 is a ***** and u need basically a whole new engine/drivetrain/rear end
Old 08-26-2005, 12:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedness
plus the wiring for a 94+ v6 to v8 is a ***** and u need basically a whole new engine/drivetrain/rear end

What tranny came in a 94 V6? I thought both v6 and v8's came with 8.8 rearend then?

T-5's are a dime a dozen. If ya not into 5speeds....C4s are cheap too.

You can pick up a wiring harness and a9l computer for about $150-200. Thats about what I sold mine for at least. And a 302 shortblock can be gotten for a couple hundred. Then spend another $1500-2000 for h/c/i and ya good to go.

But.....now that I've been exposed to it....I'd have to say that quick V6's are pretty

edit....I was referring to a 94/95....not a 96+. They were still pushrod back then.

Times pending

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang