Suspension question... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

Suspension question...

Hey all,

First time posting, first time mustang owner. I just recently bought a 2000 mustang. v6 3.8L. And i am really enjoying it, i was just wondering if anyone knows of any suspension set up that would give me somewhat better handling but a superior ride over all. I want a nice tight feel to it, less roll and better control. I know its a broad question but this is my first American car and dont know much when it comes to specifics. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your help. and any pointers on keeping the car clean and running well would be a plus.

-d00die
D00DIEBR0WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to SaturnMan8227
Re: Suspension question...

sway bars and lowering springs would help with body roll. Might think about getting an upper strut tower brace bar also. eibach sells a complete kit, springs, front/rear sway bars and shocks/struts. im sure other companies sell simular packages. just thats what come to mind.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #3

do you know if that specific kit helps with ride comfort? thank you for the help man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00DIEBR0WN View Post
do you know if that specific kit helps with ride comfort? thank you for the help man!
no problem its what we are here for. Not sure what you mean by ride comfort. My Mustang is an 04 so its newer with less miles. to me the car rides very smooth. this could because my sturts/shocks and bushings are still in good shape.

Oh here is that Eibach Part number. This will give your ride about 1.2in drop. but includes front and rear anti sway bars(35mm front 25mm rear), struts/shocks and springs

Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Your car most likely needs new shocks/struts. You will probably see a greatly improved ride with just those changes. I would also recommend a rear swaybar (either a GT or aftermarket) to help keep that rear stuck in the corners.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to dtbback

d00die,

I have to agree with Saturnman that the Eiback Kit is probably the best start for your upgrades until you figure out how much of a project you want to make your car. The kit is fairly priced and does definitely increase performance. As a compliment to the lowering kit definitely look into the strut tower braces and swaybars. This will definitely help you feel the road more and make your v6 stallion feel alot quicker.

By the way congrats on choosing your v6. I have the same year and motor. And I love my baby. So hope you have as many great times with yours, as I have had with mine.

Will
dtbback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #7

on top of my suspension question, what else could i do to fix my rear to get positraction? i have been told that the best idea is to just switch it out for a 5.0 rear end? Just wondering. Wanna see what kind of work ill be puting into the car.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

they make a LSD for our model mustang. I think ford racing makes it, not sure. But if you're gonna do an LSD conversion you might as well change out the gears also. 3.73 for manuel tranny or 4.10 for auto. you're gonna need to tune your mustang for new gears. i wold think about doing intake header and exhuast before you do the gears/lsd
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you wont get a better ride and better handling unless by better ride you mean stiffer.

H&R Race springs (great spring rate 720+ front)
MM CC plates
end links
new (OEM) isolators (not poly!)
rear sway bar (take off GT (99+ gt))
Replace front A Arm bushings (you can also go with 03/04 cobra A Arms) with Delrin bushings
Replace rear lower control arms (go with a good brand here like MM, Grigs, etc)
Shocks/Struts valved to match the springs
Wheels Tire (it it shown on the 03/04 cobra that 17s handle better than 18s not sure how it works with much better suspension parts but 17s will do fine)
Full length subframe connectors (weld in) make AMAZING differerences
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

I had a 1999, and I had Ford C Springs put on, with a half coil cut in the rear. I also had Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates installed. A pretty cheap and easy to do mod that increased my handling dramatically was the sway bars. I was shocked at how much more control I had after installing those. Lowflyn can vouch, he helped install them and saw me trying to rip it loose leaving the garage. Much harder than before.

I also had 17x9s wrapped in Kumhos all the way around which were a vast improvement over stock.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to dtbback

WhiteStang,

I would take Spector's Product advice if you were wanting to do your suspensions mods very soon.

But if you are not in a rush and are still figuring out your budget then I might suggest that you wait for Kenny Brown Performance parts. He does alot of the suspensions for the FR500's in the Mustang Challenge. His shop is just beginning production again. He just finished battling a major illness if you are wondering "why now"? Anyway he has a full line of chassis and suspension upgrades that are engineered to compliment one another. From tubular arms, coil over kits, subframe connector, and etc. If you want more info on the parts go ahead and hit me up.

Will
dtbback is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang