what's the truth on lowering springs??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq
Question what's the truth on lowering springs???

Ok several of the websites i've been to offering v6 suspension items say that if i don't go lower then 1.5 inches, then i don't need to worry about c/c plates or special shocks/struts. I just measured the gap from the center of the wheel well to the top of the tire and it's 3 inches. (keep in mind i have 18 inch wheels.) I realized i really don't want to ever go lower then 1.5 inches. Is it absolutely neccesary for me to get c/c plates right away or can i get them further down the road? and can i keep my stock s/s until i feel they have served their purpose? my car is a '99 also.
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: what's the truth on lowering springs???

if you lower 1.5 inches yeah youll need the plates fast because if not your alignment will be off and your front tires will wear out FAST. about the s/s youll only need them if you go with a stiff spring rate such as h&R springs. but if you get some thing with a proggressive spring rate like the eibach prokit, you wont need s/s for quite some time depending on how old your car is.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
if you lower 1.5 inches yeah youll need the plates fast because if not your alignment will be off and your front tires will wear out FAST. about the s/s youll only need them if you go with a stiff spring rate such as h&R springs. but if you get some thing with a proggressive spring rate like the eibach prokit, you wont need s/s for quite some time depending on how old your car is.
Or you could spend half as much and get either Ford Motorsports "B" or "C" springs. B springs are progressive which will give you around 1.25 to 1.5 drop and a near stock ride while cruising but a stiffer ride when pushed. C springs will give you a 1.25 to 1.5 drop with stiffer ride all the time. I needed C&C plates for C springs but others have gotten away without them

Old 08-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

b spring would probobly be his best bet since he does noty want to install put new dampeners.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't really mind putting on the c/c plates and having it correct if i have to. I'm just sick of people saying i NEED all this s### to go with it when i really don't. i don't want buyers remorse and be like "damn why the hell did i spend my months check on something i didn't really need".

So Danger Dude if i go with the "B" springs, i wouldn't need anything else to keep my car alligned? Or is it a different case for each car and the way people drive? i don't mind doing the bumpsteer or c/c if i can do it later on down the road. I'm trying not to cut corners when it comes to stuff for my car but it would be nice to save money if i can.

thanks for your help
Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq
I don't really mind putting on the c/c plates and having it correct if i have to. I'm just sick of people saying i NEED all this s### to go with it when i really don't. i don't want buyers remorse and be like "damn why the hell did i spend my months check on something i didn't really need".

So Danger Dude if i go with the "B" springs, i wouldn't need anything else to keep my car alligned? Or is it a different case for each car and the way people drive? i don't mind doing the bumpsteer or c/c if i can do it later on down the road. I'm trying not to cut corners when it comes to stuff for my car but it would be nice to save money if i can.

thanks for your help
No with B springs you will be safe and have a near stock ride when cruising and it will stiffen up when you decide to get into the corners. Much better than stock and somewhere around a 1.25 to 1.4 drop

There is nothing wrong with asking questions and dfeffinately nothing wrong with saving money any whay you can.

If you listen to the knowledge base here you will learn alot and save a lot of money and heartache
Old 08-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ok cool. i'm trying to find where i can get the ford motorsport springs but can't find them for my car when i did a search... i'm confused when you say near stock ride height but it may drop 1.25 -1.4. so only in the corners it will drop that low? i'm going to be doing lot's of freeway traveling for school and would like my car to be more aerodynamic all the time.

and as far as listening goes i get confused because i have so many sources and not many of them agree. my brother goes to Wyotech and his professors have something different, then Ford says something else and people on this forum disagree and so on..... quite frustrating trying to learn things the right way.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

gefracing.com
Old 08-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

the ford racing B springs rate is 425/530 front and 200/300 rear. will that be enough?
and since it lowers the front 1.2 and rear 1 inch will i have to get some shims for the front so it's 1 inch all around?

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/m...ct_Code=M5300B
Old 08-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Your front is higher than your rear from the factory if I remember correctly. And I needed c/c plates with my c springs, other ppl don't.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
the ford racing B springs rate is 425/530 front and 200/300 rear. will that be enough?
and since it lowers the front 1.2 and rear 1 inch will i have to get some shims for the front so it's 1 inch all around?

Actually you will get a little more drop because those numbers usually reflect 79-93 stangs and not 94-98 or 99-04 which are heavier cars. I will also say the B spring might come with a dead coil to cut on the back springs to make it an even drop
Old 08-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #12

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to sublimegt

I lowered mine 1.5 front and 1.0 rear... i didnt need any cc plates or anything else.. just springs and a good allignment.. you can call any company... and my tires have not worn fast at all... you only need cc plates if u lower it 2" or more... hope this helped some..
sublimegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimegt
I lowered mine 1.5 front and 1.0 rear... i didnt need any cc plates or anything else.. just springs and a good allignment.. you can call any company... and my tires have not worn fast at all... you only need cc plates if u lower it 2" or more... hope this helped some..
Actually it all depends on the car. I have "C" springs and after about 4 months I went to get aligned and I needed C&C plates. Also anything past 1.5 needs plates!!!

Why ask any company??? Some places have never installed them they only sell them. Here on ME we have REAL WORLD experience with many tons of members with C&C plates. Honestly I would take the word of a Tech here before most companies with the exception of RPM, SSM, RD and a few others
Old 08-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Needing c/c plates will be a car by car basis. Some need it, some don't. I didn't need them for about a month till the springs settled all the way out.
Our's:
Old 08-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #15
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

Mine needs CC plates after C springs, but they also have a cut coil.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

so how soon after i put springs on should i get my car aligned? I'm thinking right away but if it takes a couple months for them to settle in....then i don't know. i heard that some people hate cars that aren't stock ride height because it's harder to use their machine with the lazers to try and measure it exactly. so i don't want to piss off some dude twice and have him charge me a ton. lol
Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Normally wait around 500 to 1000 miles. Mine settled out in about 500, but I kept cutting little by little...lol
Our's:
Old 08-09-2005, 11:14 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to tedness

a lot of it also depends on what you plan to do w/ your car. me i wanted a good setup for handling corners and twists and anything like that so i opted for h&r super sports. very stiff to keep the car planted. and i have like -1 degree camber w/ c/c plates. its great but if you like the drag strip you won't need this kind of setup. c or b springs are a good combination for daily driving and drag use, but not the best for like autocross.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:48 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you live in a area of patchy or uneven roads springs for autocross sux ***. No if you dont mind bone jaring orextremely rough ride then stiff as hell springs might suit you. If you like cruising around with a somewhat comfortable ride do not get racing springs.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to tedness

my ride already sux cuz of my ripped-up tires so it's no skin off mah nose for me.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

i for sure don't want my car to be any bumpier then it is. i already feel all the blemishes in the road so maybe it's actually time for new springs. I want to go with the B springs but i want to know for sure my car will be lowered at least 1.25 inches and i dont want to be forced to modify new springs to get what i want. the eibach pro kit looks like what i want but cost about $100 more and don't know if there's much of a difference as far as handling goes. at least i'm inquiring about this stuff and not buying on impulse like i used to:no:
Old 08-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

Its good to study up and check out the possibilities instead of impulse buying yourself into something you may not like.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

For a drop that is up to, BUT not over 1.2 inches (1.3 max) you can get by with out the use of caster/camber plates.

I recommend C/C plates if you run wide wheels/tires (245+) to keep them wearing good, heck they are expensive why not.

1.3 inches is as low as you can go with out running into issues, 1.5 is ok... but a tad to low for jacking the car up and what not.

ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY (ONLY) buy 4 bolt maximum motorsport CC plates ONLY all the others are garbage compared, they offer nearly twice the adjustment along with a lifetime warranty and are the strongest on the market, go with a cheap brand and wind up getting crap adjustments... and wearing your tires bad (aka they cant adjust to where you need them to)

Ford C springs are a GREAT rate spring with a decent drop (1.0-1.3 inches depending on how you go about the install) 650 front rate, 250-300 rear....compare spring rates to get a good rate... some, like eibach are crap rate, around 450~ which blows for handeling.

1.25 inches is the optimal drop for handeling, keeps the A arms level with the K memeber.

H&R springs are great springs with great rate options if you need more than the C springs offer.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

what about the Ford B springs rate? 425/530 front 200/300 rear. will that be enough for my car?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
what about the Ford B springs rate? 425/530 front 200/300 rear. will that be enough for my car?
Why would it not be. If you want a close to stock ride and increased performance handling with a minimal drop "B" are great springs. I must admitt I like my "C" springs but on poor roads they do jar you a bit.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY (ONLY) buy 4 bolt maximum motorsport CC plates ONLY all the others are garbage compared, they offer nearly twice the adjustment along with a lifetime warranty and are the strongest on the market, go with a cheap brand and wind up getting crap adjustments... and wearing your tires bad (aka they cant adjust to where you need them to)
I really dont like it when you make this type of statement. MM's are very good but saying others are garbage is untrue and just unnecessary bias that distorts the true effectiveness of the open forum. There are a couple of companies that make excellent C&C plates. Actually almost all aftermarket C&C plates are better than stock and that is what this is about. There are different makes and models to fit anyones budget and to call them garbage is just not responsible information!!! Everytime I read this bias mentality it reminds me of the stooges on 3.8 that keep hyping spintech mufflers.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

You are correct I should not say every CC plate other than MM is bad. I have seen more than a couple brands of the regular 3 bolt CC plates and I have yet to see one happy customer, most cant get any where near correct adjustments. Its hard to say who is good adn who is not. Which ever brand you go with you had better research.

The only reason I would say such things is that I hate to see people go cheap on stuff and wind up with something thats worth less and have to spend more money and time to get something that they wanted in the first place just to save a little money.. thus in the end they spend far more than they would have to have just done it right in the first place. Which ever items you go with do the research and make sure its what you want.

If you want a noticable increase in handeling go with a 650 front rate/250-300 rate rear at least. The B springs are ok, but will not make a massive difference in your handeling.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang