Mustang Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some tech problems and questions:

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Mile high JDF 
#1 ·
ok a few things; any help is greatly appreciated! 1- when i have my car in neutral whether drivingor sitting at idle, i can sometimes hear a loud rattling from underneath- from my small knowledge- i think i need to get my clutch adjusted, any other possibilities? 2- within the last couple weeks i have noticed thatmy car is leaking very small amunts of oil at random periods of time- i can go a week without anythin but than ill wake up with a 2 inch spot under the car. but wheni get under it nothign looks to be leaking. 3- i just moved to florida- and drove the car down with a load of extra weight- since i got down i noticed my engine idles at about 600-700rpmsinstead of the usual 8-9 it used to, and sometimes when istart it the engine will bounce up and down from 950 to 1000 for a few seconds- any help would be great- thanks in advance!

#2 ·
i dont' know if i can help you with all those questions but i'll give some suggestions and probably get corrected later on. first off what year is your car and do you have a ton of miles on it? Have you had an aftermarket H pipe or exhaust work done to your car? Before i cut off my tips and down pipes my back end would vibrate a bit and rattle when i started it up, and sometimes when i was sitting in traffic. same thing happened to my friend after he messed with his exhaust. it's a possibility but like you said it could be your clutch as well.
with your oil leak it could be a worn head gasket. maybe when on some days there's not a puddle the oil leaking out could have just burned up before it puddled... I would look under your car again with some bright lights and check the oil filter and plug. there has to be some trace of oil under there. if not do the usual check under the hood as well. Did you have your oil changed recently? I know on some cars that after they get their oil changed they tend to leak a bit. have no clue why but i've noticed that in the past.
as far as your engine idle, i dont know and i don't want to try and give advice about something i'm not too sure. when i turn my car on early in the morning my RPM's are at about 1,200 and then goes down to 1,000. i can't remember the reason for this so hopefully someone can help the both of us on that. haha.....
good luck with your car

#3 ·
if you have a performance camshaft your idle rpm's can bounce around from the overlap of the the intake and exhaust valves. i don't know if you have a new cam but that is one possibility and since florida is at around sea level your car might be running differently (rich-lean) and your car can be adjusting to the different density of the air. its your car's way of going from rich to lean by changing the rpm's.

#7 ·
if the throwout bearing is ticking (ticks when the clutch is out aka neutral and goes away when you push the clutch in) then you can take the slack out of the cable to stop it a bit, it will come back so get ready for a replacment. Its a cheap part but you have to drop the tranny... so just get the clutch done at the same time to save some trouble in the future.

For the fluids.... get it checked, park your car over card board and then you can see where it leaks, by looking under the car BEFORE you back it up.

clean the MAF wires with on contact NO residue electronic cleaner and reset the battery.

#8 ·
QUESTION

JUST WAS GIVEN A 1995 3.8L MUSTANG IM WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH IT VERY EXCITED:thumb: BUT IM USED TO SPEED AND HANDELING I CAN FIGURE OUT THE HANDLING PRETTY WELL. BUT SPEED ON A V6 SHOULD I GO TURBO OR ENGINE SWAP. I CAN FIND 5.0 WITH TRANS AND COMPUTER.

#9 ·
JUST WAS GIVEN A 1995 3.8L MUSTANG IM WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH IT VERY EXCITED:thumb: BUT IM USED TO SPEED AND HANDELING I CAN FIGURE OUT THE HANDLING PRETTY WELL. BUT SPEED ON A V6 SHOULD I GO TURBO OR ENGINE SWAP. I CAN FIND 5.0 WITH TRANS AND COMPUTER.

You really need to start a new thread instead of hijacking this one. Also, turn the caps lock off. You will probably get better results.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.