1998 Headlights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #1

Region: California
Question 1998 Headlights

I need to replace my headlights as mine have that nice yellow haze that let hardly any light through. I would prefer OEM parts, but I'm wondering if there are any after market headlights that are better than others? Of course, I want the cost to stay down, but I don't want to sacrifice the quality. Thanks!

BTW, I have a 1998 V6.
starlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: 1998 Headlights

You could always go the very cheap route and just wet sand your current headlight housings. There is even a how-to article somewhere on the site.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Restoring Ford Mustang Headlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #4

I saw that post in my initial search. I've been able to get the outsides somewhat clean, but there is a haze on the inside too. From what I understand there isn't a way to take the lenses apart to clean them on the inside. Do you know if that is true or not? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There isn't a really easy way. I've heard of people putting headlights into the oven until the glue holding them together let go, and I've heard of people pouring bleach and junk into the housings and letting them sit a while to clean the inside, but I'd be afraid to try either one myself without someone telling me it worked first hand.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #6

Ummm, yeah I don't think I want to try those either! With my luck I would ruin something else. That would suck. I think the easiest route would be to just replace them, but I'm afraid of getting cheap ones that don't fit right or let water in and stuff.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

If you're going to replace them your best bet is to go with either OEM or maybe a pair from American Muscle.

1994-1998 Ford Mustang Headlights at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I'd stay away from some of the lights on ebay - especially the euro ones selling for $30.
They are probably garbage, and won't last.

Just remember that with any new headlight, you're going to have to seal them with RTV silicone...this will prevent any moisture buildup from occurring right away.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Depending on the color of yours, you may want to think about the smoked lens....they look awesome on some cars.

I still deciding one what I want for looks......
Chrome Mustang Halo Projector Headlights (94-98)
Black Mustang Halo Projector Headlights (94-98)
Chrome Mustang Headlights (94-98) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I'm not sure about the halo's yet....I like em, but dunno how they'll look on my blue (that's why the wifey says no to the smoke lens..lol), but the plain ol' chrome or euro's just look cheap, to me. I'm also thinking about a chin spoiler and side scoops (just for a lil different look
1994-1998 Mustang Chin Spoiler for GT & V6 at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
CDC Side Scoops (94-98) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #9

Mine is white, so I'm not sure how the smoked lens would look. Maybe if it were a newer paint job. It seems like American Muscle makes a pretty good product, which makes me happy to have an alternative to OEM parts. I like Ford, but don't necessarily want to give them my life savings!

outlawfrog: the chin spoiler and the side scoops both look awesome! if i had the money I would go ahead and put more into my car. right now the priorities are fixing the headlights (so I can see at night) and the speakers (so I can have more than one or two speakers working at once!).
Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yea...cash is a lil tight around here too. I'll do what I can when I can.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite View Post
Mine is white, so I'm not sure how the smoked lens would look. Maybe if it were a newer paint job. It seems like American Muscle makes a pretty good product, which makes me happy to have an alternative to OEM parts. I like Ford, but don't necessarily want to give them my life savings!

outlawfrog: the chin spoiler and the side scoops both look awesome! if i had the money I would go ahead and put more into my car. right now the priorities are fixing the headlights (so I can see at night) and the speakers (so I can have more than one or two speakers working at once!).
I think the smoked out lens would look pretty good on your white car. I've seen a couple "new edge" mustangs online that had the smoked lens along with tinted tails and it looked good. Pair the tinted lights with some window tint and white mustangs look *****in imo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang 11.jpg
Views:	14031
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	21122

Name:	white pony.jpg
Views:	12326
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	21123

Name:	white pony 5.jpg
Views:	5201
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	21124

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I have a good feeling AM's headlights are as good as Ford's initial quality products. Even if it isn't Ford's exact part, part# for part#.

As for opening up the insides I actually think the housing is sealed with plastic and not a silicone, therefore just heating up the housing will not cause it to separate. As for this process I wouldn't be too afraid (in fact I've done it before) and by process I mean heat up the headlights in an oven. Keep the temp low and in just long enough to weaken the sealant. If you really want to get on the inside you will need to get something like a dremel and try for a nice even cut to separate the housing into halves (not an exact half but towards the back of the housing).

And as for dumping in bleach I would assume it would just ruin the plastic even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

check ebay, if you want a boost in looks go with 98 cobra style headlights, they are clear kinda in the center and look MUCH better than the OEM ones.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang