Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2004 v6 1/4 mile

14K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  mystanghurts04 
#1 ·
i ran my mustang for the first time last weekend and did better than i thought i could. theres some things that i need to get done to it. ive read some of the posts on here for some of the times. and i dnt know what i need to do to get it better. so far i have a bbk cai, bbk 65mm throttle body, bbk shorty headers, dual exhaust straight pipes, ecu programmer and 18x9 front and 18x10.5 rear tires which are low profile. i did 4 runs and each time went slower after each run. i dont have a scanner or the slips with me right now, but i remember the 1/4 times, reaction time, and 1/4 speed.

1st run 2nd run 3rd run
r/t-.68 r/t- .23 r/t- .45
1/4 speed- 86 1/4 speed- 87 1/4 speed- 85
1/4 time- 16.3 1/4 time- 16.5 1/4 time- 16.8

i did a 4th run, but broke the teeth of the limited slip differential, so the time and everything is not worth even putting the info in. so if yall have any ideas for me, ill take them. i did notice i have no jump off the line, and not that good of acceleration. so if anyone has an idea for me, let me know.

#2 ·
aight i have a 04 v6 mustang! by far the best investment is a tuner and 373 gears (manual) and 410 gears (automatic) and also T lok! which is posi! trust me posi is awesome espically for burn outs. the one tire fire looks dumb lol! anyway the gears w/ t lock you can get used for about $200-$300! mines actually out of a ford ranger. the parts are interchangable. a shop will install them for a few hundred more. this will be the better and faster than all ur mods combined. the difference is like nite and day. you take off will be quite impressive with 2 tires gripping and the gears are a blast. you 50mph-100mph will be just as fast if not faster as your 0mph-50mph! and down shifting literally thows you in the seat! you ass end will jump up and go! 5th down to 3rd and 60mph is my favorite! i have beat Gts, chargers, tuners, and most recently a 5.0 mustang in my lil "v6" mustang lol! keep me posted bro!

#3 ·
If your car is a manual you should be in the mid 15s, if its an auto 16.0's~ but elevation and temperature and 60ft times (should be around 2.1) as well as shift points all come into play here~ (04 peaks at 5500 rpms fyi)

For your differential issue... been there... I broke mine in my 01 v6. You have two choices.

You can build the 7.5 rear end with a Tlok (from ford or auburn posi unit) and 3.73 gears (4.10 if auto). This will run you about 600-800 dollars.

You can buy an 8.8 rear end perhaps even with gears. Used or new the price can vary.

If you plan to run at the track regularly go with the 8.8.

#4 ·
I have to agree with spector. If you are going to the track definitely go with 8.8 with limited slip set up. This will give you max strength when transferring power. Now you may wantto look into doing some suspension mods in order to imporve your intitial launch off the line. Some control arms and drag lauch spring will help shave a little more time with your new diff. There are a few systems out there too choose from so the choice is yours. Although I have heard from a reliable sourse that Kenny Brown is coming out with some live axle parts very soon. SO I know for myself I am holding out.

#5 ·
well its an auto, and ive read alot of posts about the gears and which you should have for manuals and autos. ive looked at alot of parts, just dont know where to start. there was a post on this site that had steps and stages for upgrades for v6 mustangs. the way that chart was and all the parts i have, its just been jumping around. but ive found gears for 180 on american muscle, and the lsd i just bought was 210 with new bearings at 75. i know 4.10 gears will get me into the power band quicker, but couldnt it get into the higher rpms a little to quick and top out to fast. gears might be the next thing that i get, but the suspension pieces might be something else id like to get. and my wife works at an auto dealership and can get me a big discount for labor, to install my lsd for the lift time and labor is only gonna be about 150. i know that the cheapest and quickest way to gain more hp is through a turbo/super charger, but i really dnt have that kind of money to just drop into my car. would a strut tower brace and subframe connectors give me a little more stability for the launch?

#8 ·
If you have an automatic and want to get more HP from the Flywheel to the rear wheels, get a quality Torque converter with a Stall speed depending on your HP/mods. Don't buy the cheapest one either. I paid 700 for mine and which is a billet covered 9" performance model. It came with a 3yr warranty. They said about 40% more to the rear wheels in my case. I knew the difference right away. Instead of doing one wheel burnouts, I was doing two wheel burnouts, then had to put larger/wider tires on the back. I wanted to stay with radials though, so I bought some AA traction rated ones. They're much stickier than I thought they would be, especially after warming them up a bit with a short burnout. Then I added a 14,400btu supercooler to keep the tranny fluid cooler and went with synthetic atf and a lighter weight, but deeper pan. Now it's just about right and my tranny will last longer. You can use your tuner to monitor ATF fluid temperature as well, the code is TFT. I have quite a few mods. My last mod was a set of 1.8:1 Billet rockers from Harlandsharp. After I put those on, tuned for increased air/fuel and advanced timing 2 degrees made about 20hp more. Be very careful when tuning and go with small increments then monitor how it's doing before making any more adjustments. Looking at your plugs from time to time will tell you how lean or rich you may be running.
That's my .02 worth

#6 ·
i'm not sure how the 04's were set up, or even v6's for that matter, but i heard ditching the sway bar helps because it lets the front end flex a little and you also get rid of i think 20 lbs (iirc). thats about all my drag racing knowledge though.

depending how much your going to the track with it, i would agree with spector about the 8.8 rear end instead of the 7.whatever unless you want to continuously break your rear end.

what size tires are you running on the back? if your really going to get into this i would say light weight rims, and skinny front rims, just saves weight.

EDIT: also a skinnier front tire will reduce drag

don't know how much money you have or are willing to spend, but if you replace your rear end you might as well put an aluminum ford racing drive shaft in there, the less the engine has to spin the more power you have to mess with.

i know ford racing has a drag racing spring set that will fit 94-04 and it has an air bag in one spring to help the launch, but i can't remember how much it is or if it is very streetable, just noticed it one time i was looking for springs.

#7 ·
#9 ·
I have a 97 3.8 (manual) Mac CAI, BBK 56mm Throttle body, Mac pulleys, Gt dual exhaust with 4:10's. My top speed before the gear swap was the factory set 113 mph, after the gear swap my top speed using a GPS is 98 mph. I can still do about 92 in fourth gear before I hit the rev limiter, after I tune it my top speed should increase over the stock setting and still have the pull of the 4:10's. I would say the biggest draw back from putting the gears in would be my fuel millage. It dropped considerably it's about as bad as my 02 GT. On a hot day at the track the 150hp sixer ran a best of 15.8.

#10 ·
pure stock i ran a 20.8(on a SCT tuner which is not 100% accurate) with my current mods i ran 17.02.

#13 ·
like i said it was a sct tuner so its probably not 100% accurate and i'm not a dragster

#14 ·
There are alot of improvements you can make on those times without spending much money. Get a tranny cooler, fix the rear end (get a tlock please), and a good set of tires and practice.

#15 ·
WHAT HE SAID LOL

#17 ·
hey, sorry its an old post but this might help. these were my times...

60' 2.230
330 6.529
1/8 10.100
miles per hour 68.01
1000 13.310
1/4 16.000
miles per hour 86.01

and my mods were cold air intake, intake manifold spacer, msd wires, mac H pipe, and flowmaster 40s.

and i have a 04 3.9l. since then i have the windstar intake, sct 93 tune, and ported tb. i will post up when i go back, and this should get me into the low 15s easy, ill let u guys know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.