Don't know what to do!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Region: Colorado
Question Don't know what to do!!!

Hey everyone, i have been wanting to get some type of nice exhaust to make my 2002 v6 sound great and to have a little more power (if possible) i dont know a whole lot about cars but i am wanting to learn about mustangs because i am hoping to have one the rest of my life. So any help on what to get to make it sound good. I have heard either Flowlmasters or Magnaflow, but i just want to know what would be best! thanks for your help!
Craser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont
Re: Don't know what to do!!!

I have a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system on my GT and love the sound! You could try youtube and listen for the combo you like best.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I've got a set of flowmaster delta 40's on my gt......sounds wonderful to me....everytime i'm gearing down for a redlight, they still make me giggle like a school-girl.
I used to have an 03 supercrew, I had a magnaflow on it, with 5" tips.... it wasn't obnoxiously loud unless you were hard into the pedal, but it had a nice mellow tone.
I'm sure either would sound good even on a v6, but you may also want to think about an x-pipe or h pipe to go with whatever you chose
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Exhaust is a personal preference, plain and simple. As stated above, I'd listen to some clips/videos of different exhaust brands ~ Flowmaster, Borla, Pypes, Magnaflow, Bassani
Hearing the exhaust in person a car is the best way, since cameras don't always do justice.

Borlas and Bassanis sound real good on the v6's, but they are the more expensive brands, so keep that in mind.

I have the Pypes brand on my car, and I like them. A nice deep idle, and a quieter, mellow, race-like tone when accelerating.
I've heard flowmasters with longtubes and an h-pipe on a v6: that combination is probably one of the best sounding aside from Borla

You have many different options when replacing your stock exhaust:

1. You can buy a y-pipe bolt on kit that simply attaches to your stock y-pipe.
2. You can have a shop fabricate some piping with your choice of mufflers and either exit under the bumper with tips, or be dumped before or after the axle. (dumps simply take the piping and turn it down towards the ground)

3. You can look for a GT takeoff exhaust catback. These are hard to come by these days, but are around.
4. You could buy an h-pipe adapter (Pacesetter makes one for around $100) and bolt up any GT/Mach 1 catback.
5. Many people will say get either an x-pipe or an h-pipe. It really doesn't matter, since our cars are even firing, the equalization of pressure isn't an issue. The h-pipe will offer a slightly deeper tone, and the x-pipe will offer a slightly higher, raspy tone. It's not necessary, but if you want one you most certainly can get them with aftermarket cats on
6. KEEP your catalytic converters no matter what...the v6 sounds like crap without them.
7. Headers aren't necessary as well, but can change the exhaust tone and possibly give off a few extra hp. If your car is near stock or lightly modded, I wouldn't worry about replacing the stock headers, unless they are cracked or of in need of replacement.

I know this a lot to throw at you at once, so if you have any questions about any certain part, don't hesitate to ask

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

wow, sonic blue really laid down the options for you lol

i say long tube headers, H pipe or X, high flow cats(optional) to flowmasters. i say flowmasters because they are economically friendly. i think bassani sounds amazing but they are expensive.

keep in mind that you and me have a v6. after 3 grand on the rpms and higher no matter what the car will sound a bit ricey. Theres no escaping that.

check out the clip next to my pic in this post, see how you think the car sounds.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Once again sonicponey03 steals my post!

Listen to the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to dtbback

JEESE Sonic leave a little room for someone else to offer advice....lol. Anyway, listen to sonic he has got the main line into what is really great for our sixers.

I have magna flow myself and I love the sound. They are turned down before the exhaust with ghost tips ( all looks ). But I don't think that they sound ricey at all after 3000 RPM's but maybe thats just something with the newer sixes. But probably it is due to the fact that my motor is built. Anyway welcome to the Forum man. Post pics when you get the chance.
dtbback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

sonic pony basically summed things up. decide on your muffler, and either get a GT takeoff or have a reliable shop do custom piping. an H pipe with 2.25" piping would be ideal.

a lot of people stress out over what muffler to buy. do your research, but just remember, ANYTHING is an improvement over stock so don't worry about it!

in my personal opinion, borla is probably your best choice, but any of the top mufflers will be fine (flowmaster, magnaflows, etc). there will be no performance differences, so just go by sound. flowmasters being the most popular choice it seems.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea, ive has two v6's both sound good down low but sound bad up top, thats why I would run a stock GT muffler take off... sure it wont sound as good down low but up top it wont sound as bad... its a trade off.

If you keep the stock v6 rear bumper run at least 22 inch long tips (stainless) and 2.5-3.0 inches in size (no bigger) and angle the tips up a little do NOT have them even with the ground... the curve of the rear bumper on the sides make the even tips look like they point down. Go to my album and look at my old 01 v6 to see my 2.5 inch stainless steel (dont go chrome) tips angled up some on the stock v6 bumper. Alto you need .5 inches between tip and bumper at least.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00

pyes are also a good brand and sound great
00STANG00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

another thing is to remember... the worse thing to do when you dont know what you want to do is something. Take your time and decide what you want and the order you want to do them to reach what ever end goal you have for your car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
another thing is to remember... the worse thing to do when you dont know what you want to do is something. Take your time and decide what you want and the order you want to do them to reach what ever end goal you have for your car.
+1,000,000

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #13

Pypes 409 Stainless Steel V6 Dual Pipe Conversion Kit (98-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

What does everyone think about this? Do you think this kit would make my v6 sound like a v8? And if it could make it sound great then would i have to take it to a shop and have them modify it to fit my car? Thanks everyone! your all awesome! this helps a lot!

2002 v6 Mustang, American Muscle CAI, Pypes True Duel Exhaust with X-Pipe, Sequential Tail lights, side car decals! More coming soon! :-)

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice"
Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

thats the ones im getten but not thru AM
Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I've heard Pypes on the V6 sound pretty good.

However you might want to look for something that's a "cat back". You're going to hear that a V6 with out cats will just sound horrible.

If you want to know how it sounds try and find somebody with a similar set up or scour YouTube for sound clips. Most audio though will not do justice.

As for installation, exhaust is pretty easy to do and requires a few basic hand tools. However the further you go up towards the engine expect more work. Anything header back will definitely take an afternoon. Cat back is usually the simplest, but most installation instructions will tell you you will need to cut off the stock exhaust, and the new exhaust will "slip on".

I'm pretty sure AM has an install article on those Pypes. Give it a read and that will probably give you an idea of your capabilities on handling the project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yah as OsirisGuy said, a v6 with no cats is probably not the way to go. I know Pypes offers that same system with cats, so you may want to look into that. As stated above, you could also look into a catback sytem; this way you could retain your stock cats and still have dual exhaust.

I have the y-pipe converter back system from Pypes, basically the same thing without the midpipe/cats. I like the sound, both idle and wot. The o/r system might be slightly higher pitched since there are no cats.

As far as installation. You can install it yourself, but you may run into fitment issues. I ended up taking mine to the shop to have 3" of pipe taken off for the system to sit right. You may want to consider just having a shop with a lift install it, however, if you are able to use a lift, the install shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #17

I cant find that same kit with cats, anywhere :-/...i checked on youtube and stuff to see how much i like Pypes on a v6 and i love the sound, its great! so if i can find that kit (above url) with cats on it then i will be in business! But would it be better if i kept the stock cats on and just got the dual exhaust or will i get better sound if i get the Pypes cats??? i hope all that made sense...it did in my brain...

2002 v6 Mustang, American Muscle CAI, Pypes True Duel Exhaust with X-Pipe, Sequential Tail lights, side car decals! More coming soon! :-)

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice"
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

blueovalindustries.com or americanmuscle.com
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

personly i rather blueoval
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craser View Post
I cant find that same kit with cats, anywhere :-/...i checked on youtube and stuff to see how much i like Pypes on a v6 and i love the sound, its great! so if i can find that kit (above url) with cats on it then i will be in business! But would it be better if i kept the stock cats on and just got the dual exhaust or will i get better sound if i get the Pypes cats??? i hope all that made sense...it did in my brain...
Pypes SFM56 Pypes 1996-04 V6 Mustang Exhaust True-Dual System w/ catted X-pipe w/ Polished Tips - SFM56

1998-2004 Mustang V6 3.8L 2.5" SS Header-Back Exhaust System w/ X-Pipe w/Cats at Blue Oval Industries for your Ford Mustang @ Blue Oval Industries

Item Detail

If you don't wish to buy the catted system (in the links above) you could buy aftermarket cats, such as the Pypes. These hi flow cats are less restrictive and you only need two, compared to the stock 4.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I actually saved about $100 by having high flow cats welded in to the off-road pipe. maybe that will work better for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang