Air Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #1

Region: Colorado
Question Air Intake

I have 2002 v6 mustang and I am thinking of also putting in a cold air intake along with the exhaust, what do you all think? I also don't know where i could get a cold air intake from, does anyone have any good websites i could go to or any suggestions? I want to have a good fast car, so if you think something else would work better then let me know, im open to any suggestions!

Also how difficult is it to put in a new air intake? And around how much do they cost?
Craser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Air Intake

Exhaust and a CAI are great starter mods for your v6. While they won't give you tons of hp (maybe 5-10 or so between the two of them), they are nice additions to a plain, stock car. American Muscle is a great place to order from. They are a site sponsor, and offer free shipping on everything!

1999-2004 Ford Mustang Cold Air Intakes, Mustang Intakes at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

1999-2004 Ford Mustang Exhaust at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

A "good, fast car" can be defined in many different stages:
- For some people, just bolt ons are good enough ~ exhaust, CAI, udp, gears/tlok, and a tune
- For others, a power adder (supercharger, turbo, or nitrous), or a built engine is of more desire. This is a more expensive approach, it will boost your hp/tq noticeably, but can be hard on your car if not done right.

You really have to decide for yourself if on how far you want to go with the car. Some people do these mods, while others decide to switch to a v8 model.

Here's a guide from the forum that gives you a good idea of modifications for the v6.

V6 Mustang Modification Guide

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

^There you go. Once again I second sonicpony03
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #4

So i just got my CAI

Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

And im going to put it in my car soon! (very excited) now i have heard that i need a tune up once i do that to get any more HP, AND i have heard that if i dont get a tune up after i put it in, that it might hurt my car a lil bit. Do i need to get a tune up? If i do, how can i do that? i have never looked in to getting a tune up so i have no clue how it works and what to do.

THANKS!!!

P.S. if anyone has any tips or tricks on installing that CAI in a 2002 v6 Mustang please let me know ASAP!!!! anything helps!

2002 v6 Mustang, American Muscle CAI, Pypes True Duel Exhaust with X-Pipe, Sequential Tail lights, side car decals! More coming soon! :-)

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice"
Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well, you really don't need a tune/tune up after installing the CAI. The +05's require an ECU tune after most CAI's but not the 99-04's.

Everything should still work fine after installing the CAI. Just make sure you are very careful when switching the mass air sensor to the new CAI tubing. Also, you may have to adjust the CAI a few times to get it to sit flush in the engine bay. Sometimes lining the upper tubing that connects to the throttle body causes the connecter that connects the upper and lower tubing to bend and sit crooked. After installing the entire CAI, turn you car on and wait for any check engine lights...a loose hose or slight gap causing air to slip out might wave a check engine light.

Overall, the install is pretty easy, I'd watch the video on American Muscle and go for it. As with anything, it may take some adjusting to get everything to fit the way you want it, but like I said, it's not too difficult. Take your time and have fun, it's a great mod to install on your car yourself.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho

AmericanMuscle.com is a good site to go to. Scroll down and on the left you will be able to choose the year of your Mustang and it will show all the parts that you can get. I bought their $80 CAI which has really good reviews but I'm still waiting for it to get here.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

get a MAC cold air intake, it has a nice whistle when u shift gears and youll love it, far as performance ur not gonna get what ur looking for off intake alone, get some gears and posi tract with a tuner and a nice exhaust set up then youll be able to out run GTs, thats what most us sixers are looking for when we first start out is to just beat a GT lol, but after you do that man its like a drug ur gonna wanna go faster and faster and before you know it ur throwin on turbo and pistons with cams anddd,,,,,,,,well let me stop...you get the point
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well, he already bought the AM CAI, but as Zebs5408 said, gears/tlok, exhaust, and a solid tune will really "wake up" your stang. Those are probably some of the more effective 1st level mods you can do.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

DAMN LOL!!! i just now saw that, u couldve let me slide on that man lol, i skimmed to fast down the post!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
DAMN LOL!!! i just now saw that, u couldve let me slide on that man lol, i skimmed to fast down the post!
No that's alright man, I just trying to help a brother out

Old 11-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what its all about bro

Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #12

Region: Other

My CAI for my 3.8 is from American Muscle and I am always very happy with their products and their service, even though shipping to my location isn't free
wyldpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #13

I got that $80 CAI from AM and its amazing! just that alone makes my car sound amazing! i love it! now i just cant wait to put on new lights, and new tires and rims, and exhaust!!!

2002 v6 Mustang, American Muscle CAI, Pypes True Duel Exhaust with X-Pipe, Sequential Tail lights, side car decals! More coming soon! :-)

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang