Need some help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Need some help

Driving into work this morning sitting at a stop light the voltage gauge went to 0 lights got dim clock started flashing then it started charging again got to work same dim lights etc and started charging turned the car off got the dreaded click of the starter so what do you think battery or alternator ?? I have a feeling the battery would be to simple of a fix

Update --- Just had a coworker jump start the car fired right up voltage gauge showed it at normal lights were bright shut it down several time started right up ?? so now it could be a short/battery/alt

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Need some help

i would clean and check battery terminals, also check for loose connections at the starter and alternator, if that dosent help you might have a bad battery or alternator
2003 gt, sct custom tuned by VMP, k&n fipk, upr o/r x-pipe, dynomax turbo mufflers, mm c/c plates, mm full length subframe connectors, h&r race springs, bullit rims 18x10 rear 18x9 front, 4.10 gears, 20% tint, 9 inch shorty antenna
edross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

could be the battery, they are funny sometimes~ mine simply died... was fine then 100% dead couldnt even jump it. I stoped to eat got back in it and ... nothing.

Do you have a spare battery you can put it in and test with?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
could be the battery, they are funny sometimes~ mine simply died... was fine then 100% dead couldnt even jump it. I stoped to eat got back in it and ... nothing.

Do you have a spare battery you can put it in and test with?
I'm gonna take off at 12 go to autozone and have them test battery, alt I'm gonna clean the terminals now

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'd say it's probably the voltage regulator in the alt. Once the alt stops charging, everything runs off of the batt....when it dies, everything dies. For the simple fact that sometimes it "starts charging", I'd start with the alt. I don't know that I'd go to twilight...err....I mean auto-zone....the autozone guys here are all idiots (basically the wal-mart auto rejects....and I wouldn't let those wal-mart dweebs work on my damned bicycle....if that tells you how bad they are). But, Autozone, o'reilly,advanced, pep boys, etc...should all be able to check the alt. If you go with a re-man alt....make sure you pay a little extra to get one with the "lifetime warranty"...NOT the limited lifetime. I know the limited lifetime is only on manufacturer's defect. I learned my lesson on that ****...long story short....in my old f-150,on my way to houston, alt petered-out in baytown,tx at about 8:30 pm...had to call a roadside repair (cost me about 600 that night, with a reman alt)......two days later....truck dies again in dowtown houston...NOT FUN.....finally got it to the ford place, got new alt....another 400+.
Unless the voltage reg has fried the batt, it'll probably be ok. But, I'd definately go with an alt.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well it's not the alt just put a meter on it and it putting out 13.84 The battery has some water stains around the vent caps, the ground termial needed cleaning The battery is 5 yrs old I'll replace that today Thanks for the help and advise

Quote:
Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

My guess would have been the alternator. What was the voltage on the battery out of curiosity (if you checked)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Didn't check the battery output I went by the theory of a fully charged battery with a working running alternator is around 13.8 volts
I'm gonna replace the battery it's 5 yrs old and the florida heat beats the **** out of battery's

Quote:
Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

if the voltage regulator is going out....more than likely it was in an "ok" state when you checked it. That would explain the "then it started charging again" If the batt is that old, hell, it won't hurt to get a new one anyway, but I'd damned sure keep an eye on that alt.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Same thing happened to me and it was the battery.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

alternator! i had a porsche that did the samething and it was the alternator!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

it sounds like the alternator to me and it could have drained your battery. one day i was driving to work and my car just suddently gave a check engine light, then the radio died, and i jussstt made it to the shop. turns out my alternator died and the car was running off of the battery.

so get the alternator checked before you spend money on another battery.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Thanks for all the advise The real problem was the dirty terminal. I'm replacing the copper end with a lead one The copper attachs all the white ****(corrosion)
once I replaced the copper end maybe i'll go old school and crazy glue some copper penny close to the neutral terminal to attached any future corrosion.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Smile Re: Need some help

glad i could help
2003 gt, sct custom tuned by VMP, k&n fipk, upr o/r x-pipe, dynomax turbo mufflers, mm c/c plates, mm full length subframe connectors, h&r race springs, bullit rims 18x10 rear 18x9 front, 4.10 gears, 20% tint, 9 inch shorty antenna
edross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

well damn i thought it was most def alternator. Glad u got it fixed though man!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Sometimes alternators can run as high as 15 volts running! On my '98 I had readings of over 14 volts.

As for the corrosion you can always clean it with some Diet Coke. Cleans that crap up nicely.

Now speaking of, I was sitting in the school parking lot this morning waiting for a spot to open up and I see a guy start walking to his car so I go to start the car and just *clickity cli-* Dammit!, try a few times, wait a few seconds in between, and I can't even push the car a little up hill. So I wait a few more seconds, make sure nothing electrical is on give it one last crank "click click click, vroooo--- click VROOOOM!* Just in time too to get the spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang