Whine in rear end - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #1

Region: New York
Angry Whine in rear end

Hi I am at the end of the line with the dealer it started about 4 weeks ago when I brought in my 2004 mustang for service and told the service guy that around 45 mph I hear a whine coming from the rear end. He said that the bearings were bad and had to be replaced so this is where my nightmare begins. The dealer ordered the parts and a week later the bearings were changed. When I picked up the car as soon as I drove away the whine was louder then ever I thought that maybe the bearings needed to run in so i gave it 1000 miles and they got realy noisey so I took the car back in to the dealer again they told me the bearings were bad ok maybe a bad set of bearings well I picked up the car today and I pulled out of the dealer and there was that f**king whine so I turned back and the dealer said to bring the car back so they could take a look my question is has anyone ever had this problem with there rear end?
btw the car only has 22000 mi. on it and already replaced power steering pump, shocks and 2 sets of rear end bearings and going on the set number 3 guess so much for ford tough !
harry444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: Whine in rear end

holy hell, lol. I blew out my rear end, but that was no fault of the car... I slide off the road at 45, and the diff. cover got a gap, and the fluid leaked out. I have 75,000 miles, and that's the only problem I've had. Also, they'll probably end up just changing the rear end. I took the opportunity to get a GT rear end, and haven't had a problem since. Sorry for your luck. By the way, Fords are built pretty tough ... I got hit by a semi last year, and drove the car home. (we were both going 70 side by side... and he trailer whipped me, left me going side ways on the interstate, and ultimately facing the opposite direction... $4200 damage)

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Jimmy..what does that have to do with his problem?
Anyways, back on subject, I have an 02 v6 with 66xxx miles on it, and my gears have been doing that for a while...never has bothered me enough to have them fix it or something. Dunno what to tell ya man, it's quite simply just the gears in your rear end whining, I promise you.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its due to the poor installation of the gears.... get them to totally reinstall the gears (ring and pinion) along with new bearings and crush sleve etc etc and shims and set the backlash and pinion depth, and finally check the wear pattern.. then all will be fine... of cousre they wont do this until they spend 3x as much doing little cheap fixed... but try to get em to....

gear whine is due to a poor installation/speced rear end. There was a TSB for this on the 99-01s as well, they put in more rubbery LCAs and UCAs to make the noise not as noticable though the frame... and FYI if you ever stick in solid LCAs or what not... the noise will get worse
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

I guess there's nothing for me to do...
Our's:
Old 09-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #6

Thanks Guys I printed off the replys and Im going to take it to the dealer on monday. I think though they might get it right this time because NY has a lemon law 3 times same problem time for a new car! Hmmmmm they have a screaming yellow gt on the lot LOL will keep you posted

Harry
harry444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Im not sure exactly what years the TSB goes towards, but the V6's do have this problem. It is the installation of the gears, once they wear in a given way you cant simply change the bearings or the way they are and expect the whine to go away.

If you catch it fast enough it may.... but usually some will remain. If they check the specs included but not limited to: Pinion depth, crush sleve, bearings, gear wear pattern, and backlash they can possibly fix it with out new gears. Gears are cheap so I would just replace them.

If the dealership simply does not know how to check these items then they simply .... inadequate. Bearings it the first step though, so they did that correct. My throwout bearing has went out 5 times under warranty.... and no one, not even engineers from ford, can fix it. I do not abuse my car either.... its just the way things go.... got to stick it to them, mine finally is drivable.... but still its annoying.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

well, I had been complaining of a rear end whine, but it ended up being the tires

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 09-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #9

Sorry Jimmy wish it was tires but its the rear Dif. going to stick it to the dealer monday fix it or take it back .bottom line ! think they will fix it dealers don't like to take back cars LOL tnx.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

you should suggest higher gears .... hahaha, be like, yo, can I get some 3.73's... I mean, it'll cost you about the same, I'll pay the difference. haha

Old 09-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #11

LOL well I already thought of it hmmmmm what do I have to lose can't hurt to ask
Old 09-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

You should be like
"Hey...since these gears are whining, and other people's do the same, how about just putting in some 3.73's and those be under factory warranty as well"
Our's:
Old 09-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

or just throw a Mach 1 rear end in (3.55's)

Old 09-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #14

Well went back to dealer today and there bringing in the ford engineer LOL this should be interesting will keep you posted btw Jimmy I asked about swapping 3:73s and all the service guy did was laugh so guess I have to buy them myself LOL
Old 09-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I had two engineers come down to look at my car... they are retards ... dont expect much from them... they couldnt open a locked door with a box full of the same key that opens it while the door was opened and locked.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #16

Oh how I know the engineers are a bunch of dorks I use to work for GM and how I know btw I showed them what you said in post and it was like well we don't thinks thats it LOL well we shall see ...
Old 09-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #17
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

if it ends up being the ring and pinion which it sounds like... contact midwest mustang and get a set of gears/tlok and put those suckers in there

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #18

Well got my stang back today and dealer put a brand new rear in it!! Minus the 3:73s LOL I guess they didn't want to give me a new car LOL thanks to all who gave me good advice !

Harry
Old 09-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

sweet. hopefully that one won't whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang