supercharged or turbo? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
DEG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exclamation supercharged or turbo?

whats better supercharger or turbo? i got an 04 v6
DEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: supercharged or turbo?

Procharger is what i'm looking at almost 400hp with no engine mods
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Generally speaking, you will get more out of a turbo. This usually goes for v6 and v8 mustangs. But turbo kits and ready made systems are hard to come by these days.

ATI Prochargers make good power and don't require tapping into the oil pan. Vortech Superchargers are also good performing systems as well. These systems are made specifically for the v6 mustangs can be used with minimal supporting mods.

Other ideas that have gone around the v6 community have been using the M112 from the 03/04 cobras, or the M90 from the Tbird 3.8 Supercoupes. Both of these are more hassle than they worth, and neither are intercooled, and your engine isn't forged, so your engine is running real hot and risking the chance of failure.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

I'm personally a fan of superchargers, notably the roots style. I'd always think that turbos are for "ricers" or tuners. Not that turbos don't deserve their own respect but I guess it is just because of the locals here and their reaction to forced induction.

You do get a bit more HP out of a Turbo but the V6 and V8 Mustang don't have that low powerband like the 5.0L. So I like to think going with a S/C delivers instant on demand power from the beginning, and no turbo lag!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

TURBO BAAAABBBYYYY and sonicponys right though there was only one ready made kit for us and that was made by a guy named andy with TMA, hes no longer in business so u will have to fabricate one.....unless had a damn magazine where u could flip through the pages and find the kit you like custom made just for your V6..... sorrry i had to throw in a plug for the magazine LOL. honeslty the only reason i love turbo more than a supercharger is because for the BOV. nothin sounds better in this world than high RPM shift with a sequential BOV.....its a beautiful thing. im in the process of turboin my 04 v6. right now im building up the engine so it can handle the power (highly recommend). but for simplicity vs power supercharger would win. but you tube an 04 v6 mustang turbo then the supercharger and see whats best for you!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
DEG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007STANG View Post
Procharger is what i'm looking at almost 400hp with no engine mods
i found a procharger for my car but i was skeptical about it . i have no idea if it was worth the 4 grand its worth
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

I like the Procharger because the exhaust gases are not heating up the intake air (cooler air More HP) and you don't have to tap the oil pan (or change the oil as much)
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh boy, you really opened up a can of worms with that question lol

this is a debate that goes on for HOURS among car enthusisiats.

there is a stimgma that comes along with superchargers and turbos.
turbos equivilate ricers and supercharger equvilate muscle cars. it is the unfortunete stigma that even i can not get out of my mind.

tubros- turbos are more effecient, they use the bi product (exhuast) to produce boost. so you dont lose anything, but only gain from a tubro. the draw backs are lag (although lag is quite minimal now), setup is usally not very easy (atleast i dont think it is) , you dont get instant horse power cause of the lag and the tubro picks up more on higher rmps so off the line your car will feel about the same as it did before the turbo. you have to wait for the turbo to kick in to feel it.

superchargers- roots style give you instant power, centrifical (procharger) take a bit longer then straight off the line. they make a good amount of power and are a bit more consistant then tubros. the only negative to a supercharger is that is uses horse power to run as well. so if your supercharger is adding a 100 horses it takes 30 horses to run that supercharge so your actual gain is 70 horses.

go with the procharger, i doubt youll find a roots style charger for your car. The procharger is a good kit, there customer service is pretty good, i have had no problem with them so far. its nice that they are self lubricated as well.
does this kit include the intercooler? thats important.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

both have good and bad parts, generally a turbo makes more power and will make the car car faster on your stock 3.8L v6 (or 3.9 same thing).... but its all about what you want.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
DEG
Registered Member
Regular

i want it faster as soon as i step on it i want it to respond but i also dont want to lose that much hp. so im still on step one just more informed about it
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG View Post
i want it faster as soon as i step on it i want it to respond but i also dont want to lose that much hp. so im still on step one just more informed about it
for what your looking for you need a roots style supercharger.....however i do not think they make them for v6s.
your next best option is the procharger. i would say theres a very slight delay, kicks in pretty fast. ofcouse you feel it more at higher rpms.

anyone know if DEG can get a roots style supercharger?
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Only ones I can think of are the M112 or the M90. Both are inefficient when compared to the v6-specific superchargers like procharger or vortech. Some places like supersix motorsports make an adapter plate to fit the M112 (Cobra SC) directly on the 3.8, but it isn't intercooled and your stock internals aren't forged, so heat/stress lead to failure quicker than you would expect.

The M90 is from the older Thunderbird supercoupes, and isn't worth the time because it was used on a single port 3.8, the 99-04 3.8's are split port. You would have to switch back to single port for the M90 to work, and you'd lose damn near more power switching than you'd gain from the supercharger.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang