steeda tri-ax shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
steeda tri-ax shifter

i am thinking about getting the steeda tri-ax shifter... from what i have read that seems to be the best? i just wanted to make sure i get the t-5/t-45 shifter... i have a 99 v6. thanks

Mods: MAC Dual Catback Exhaust, MAC Shorty Headers, CAI, Sequential Taillights, 03 17" Cobra Rims

My Garage
electricstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Re: steeda tri-ax shifter

Have you seen the MGW shifter?

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml
Old 09-22-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I had a 5 speed tri-ax, and I have the 6 speed tri-ax. From what I am hearing, the MGW is better fit and feel due to some angling of the handle. I am contemplating getting the MGW, but I want to talk with some people that have had both and get their opinions, or drive a car that has one.

So, I guess what I am saying is, think about the MGW instead.

EDIT: Oh, and when you get the shifter, either one, talk to the dude on here that sells the gaskets (I think he sells both shifters too). I have a set of gaskets on my tri-ax and it really makes things easier and cleaner than using a tube of gasket maker. I Think the guy is 1quik6 or something like that.
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

He was trading Tri-Axs for MGWs wasn't he?
Old 09-23-2005, 03:47 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

I sell the gaskets as well. But they are free with a tri-ax shifter purchase. The gaskets are $8 shipped if you buy them alone. The tri-ax's sell for $180 shipped. But i'll sell it to them to anyone on the site for $170.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna buy so much stuff from you.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to red pony V6

i got the new MGW shifter and gasket from shiftergaskets.com and i like it alot. the only complaint i have is that it doesn't shift as smoothly as i thought it would. the shifts are shorter of course, but feel a little rough, especially from 1st to 2nd.
MGW shifter
and slow as hell...
red pony V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

That is true from all short throw shifters tho. Both my steeda's were like that too. They don't have all that insulating rubber and junk in there that makes them quiet and mushy. These are sharp and crisp which feels rough compared to the stocker.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

so its a rougher shift that stock? becuase my stock isnt the smoothest. also, does the steeda make it easier to shift (not that shifting is hard, but you know what i mean).

Mods: MAC Dual Catback Exhaust, MAC Shorty Headers, CAI, Sequential Taillights, 03 17" Cobra Rims

My Garage
Old 09-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

yes, it feels clunkier than a stock shifter will, but is by no means bad. It will help you shift because it makes it damn near impossible to miss the 2-3 shift. It also makes the length of the shift shorter (hence the name) so the time needed to shift is quicker.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

if i get the steeda shifter, do i have to do anything to my shifter boot? Will my stock nob fit on this one?

Another question, lol..... if i am going to flush my transmission fluid, is one fluid better than another, or should i just use what my owners manual says?

My Garage
Old 09-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I will answer part 1.....the only thing you have to do with your boot is put it back on. Nothing changes, it will just be a little lower than before. You may need to hold it in place as you screw your knob on so it doesn't twist, but it fits fine. Also, the knob will fit just fine, it might take a couple tries to get the numbers oriented right, but it fits no problem. Aftermarket knobs will also fit as long as they have the same 12 mm pattern which I believe nearly all have.

The fluid, I don't know what is considered best.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:33 PM   #13
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricstang
if i get the steeda shifter, do i have to do anything to my shifter boot? Will my stock nob fit on this one?

Another question, lol..... if i am going to flush my transmission fluid, is one fluid better than another, or should i just use what my owners manual says?
Use what owner manual says, using the wrong type of fluid will cause your tranny to lock up

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I had a B&M it was shorter than the Steeda but the steeda is overall better in ease of reach and springyness. The MGW is supposed to be very nice so look into it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

i have the steeda for the t-5 and i've used the MGW from my friends stang and i like the tri-ax shifter better. it is angled a little more than the MGW shifter and with the tri-ax you would have to be a moron to miss a shift from 2nd to-3rd because the shifter literally leads you into 3rd gear. but from what i hear and from experience they are pretty durable and reliable shifters. i am also partial to steedas performance parts. no disrespect to MGW though.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:57 PM   #16
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Get the MGW... everyone at our KC meets that shifts my car says its 100x better than anything they've shifted before. It installs in like 30 minutes if that, and theres really no need for the gaskets, the shifters really quiet. Its also spring loaded just like other shifters to prevent that 2-3 miss... Id defanitely get the MGW. Also, the T5 tranny's just feel notchy naturally... its just the way they are.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang