Mustang '06 winter driving - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Mustang '06 winter driving

Hey! I'm looking into buying a 2006 V6 Mustang. Since I live in Canada and get to experience icy and snowy winters (and because I cannot have a car for every season) I was wondering what people's experiences have been with this type of car... especially when it comes to winter driving. Thanks!
DW84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Re: Mustang '06 winter driving

With a V6 rear wheel drive car it's not going to be great but it is possible to drive around in that kind of weather. You just have to be SUPER careful and cautious. If you have a lot of steep hills however that might be another story.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah it really depends on the roads. I drove mine one winter 70 miles round trip to school everyday and only had one incident...and it was my fault. If it's mainly highway driving and decent country roads and you take your time, and coast with light acceleration around turns...you'll be fine. Also throw some sand tubes in the trunk to put some weight over your rearend, that helps out a bit.

I'd also look into getting some good winter tires for your rims. Bridgestone Blizzaks and Dunlop M3's are decent winter tires for mustangs.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

i only had my mustang for the first 4 years i drove it everywhere all the time. My V6 stock as i got it drove better then my wifes honda accord lol there were times i took out her accord cause it was snowing, drove right back and took my stang instead.

if you drive carfully, do not accelerate like crazy, dont turn too sharply, you will be fine. i think it was a great winter car.......

unfortnelty after all my mods, 4:10 gears its now a DEATH TRAP in the snow. i almost died like 3 times last winter. i have never been that scared in my LIFE! so do understand if you mod it out like i did, then it will no longer be a reliable car for winter.

good luck!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Luckily the V6 is a bit tamer but with any RWD car you have to be careful in inclement weather. If you see a lot of snow I'd suggest looking around a bit more, although I'm sure the new V6 is better than my '98 V6 was (which by the way handled quite well in the snow and rain).

If you can hold off on being a crazy driver and gunning it all the time then you should be just fine.

I remember ME having a couple of owners from Alaska too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont

I had a 82 6cly auto years ago that I drove year round. It was actually good in snow I lived a mile up a dirt road and never had to walk the hill. I took it in a big parking lot and drove it hard so I new what to expect and how the car would respond.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97 View Post
I had a 82 6cly auto years ago that I drove year round. It was actually good in snow I lived a mile up a dirt road and never had to walk the hill. I took it in a big parking lot and drove it hard so I new what to expect and how the car would respond.
I think taking your car to a parking lot and seeing how it reacts to the snow is a very good idea...Whenever I get a new car I always do that in the winter time, and not to mention a few cookies :thumbs2:
Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i had a 99 v6 in pennsylvania. it was terrible. i dont see how people can say its not that bad - i cant imagine it getting much worse. i could handle dustings, but if it was anything more than an inch or two, i was incapable of moving out of my parking spot.

then again, i did live in pittsburgh and state college - both very hilly/mountainous. so, maybe im a bad example.

i had about 50lbs of sandbags in my trunk that helped a bit. the mustang and snow just doesnt mix well.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
i had a 99 v6 in pennsylvania. it was terrible. i dont see how people can say its not that bad - i cant imagine it getting much worse. i could handle dustings, but if it was anything more than an inch or two, i was incapable of moving out of my parking spot.

then again, i did live in pittsburgh and state college - both very hilly/mountainous. so, maybe im a bad example.

i had about 50lbs of sandbags in my trunk that helped a bit. the mustang and snow just doesnt mix well.
Yah hills and mountains are a *****. It's flat enough where I live in Wisconsin to drive a mustang in the snow...just as long as the snowplows get most of the snow off the road...if it's a road with a fresh dumping of 5" of snow...no way in hell.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang