Uh Oh - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #1
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Uh Oh

So Guess what was waiting for me when I got home???
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

It's kinda reddish brown.

Transmission fluid level is good
Oil level is good
brake fluid could probably be added..

Any ideas?? Since my tranny fluid level looks ok, I'm at a loss right now..
Old 08-22-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Your trans fluid will stay looking good until you start it up. Thats why they say to check the fluid while the car is running. The fluid is pumped when the engine is turned on. I'll bet that it's trans fluid... and a lot of it. Can you tell where it came from? where was it dripping from?

And BTW... THATS A LOT OF FLUID!!!
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

So how do you top off the tranny fluid?? Pour it down the tube where the dipstick is??

I'm moderately conviced it's the gasket. I first noticed the leak after the snow left and it looks like it's dripping from the seal where the plate is that has all the screws on the bottom of the tranny. I'm guessing the plate is where the filter is.. So should I go to ford, get a new filter and drop the plate, replace the filter and gasket and put it back together?

Again, HTF do you fill the tranny fluid?
Old 08-22-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Pour it down the tube where the dipstick is
Yup

Its a lenghtly process actually.

But if you want to, you CAN change your own trans pan gasket, and while you're doing that, I would suggest changing the trans fluid filter at the same time (which is located in the trans pan if I'm not mistaken).

I've changed trans gaskets before... It's EXTREMELY MESSY!!!! Wear goggles!! 8)
Old 08-22-2003, 06:30 PM   #6
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

So worth it to pay a shop $100 or so to take care of it for me?
Old 08-22-2003, 06:35 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vert
So worth it to pay a shop $100 or so to take care of it for me?
Depends... a shop could change it for you in about 4 hours... or you could do it by yourself in about 8 and a lot of headaches and tasty trans fluid... Trust me... it doesnt taste good either

I would take it in personally. I dont have the time anymore to do it myself with my schedule. I wish I did
Old 08-22-2003, 06:41 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
In his case it might not be so bad, looks like most of it has already leaked out anyhow, whew! Get a pan to catch it, get it on ramps or jackstands. Loosen all of your pan gaskets first, then work one side down more than the others, take all of them out of two opposit ends, then loosen one side pretty good, then take them all the way down on the other, it will drop and all the fluid will come out in a hurry, if not you may have to pry a little with a screw driver, but not usually. Try to stay out of the way if you can! This is the perfect time to do a good mod on your car if you can get the part. either get a drain plug for your current pan or get a pan with a drain plug already in it. It makes it 10X more easy to change your transmission fluid and the filter seldom really gets dirty. However since you had to drop the pan, replace the filter this time.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:48 PM   #9
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

That's what I had in mind Rick.. But if Evin suggests it's an 8hr process......

Should I just take it to a tranny shop and have a shift kit installed?

Shift kit
filter
gasket
pan/plate with drain plug

??????
Old 08-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Maybe 8 hours is a little extreme, I'll admit that I went a little overboard. There is about 20 or so bolts from what I remember.

It's not just an easy on and off. But if you have a shift kit.. you may want to take it in anyway
Old 08-22-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeah, good time to get a shift kit put in, no need to waste all that transmission fluid twice!!
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:25 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Might be a good idea to get it in to a transmission shop and make sure that just changing the pan gasket is going to cure your leak too. another favorite spot to leak out is around the driveshaft out what is known as the rear main seal.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:27 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

But I did a lot of fluid and filter changes in transmission class in Automatic Transmission Class at school, I would do sometime 2 of them in one class and have time to spare in just one afternoon. So no, its no 8 hour thing. But this was ideal conditions with a lift and the right tools and equipment too.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:05 AM   #14
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 08-23-2003, 11:03 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 08-23-2003, 11:04 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 08-23-2003, 06:03 PM   #17
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 08-23-2003, 06:04 PM   #18
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 08-23-2003, 08:35 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 08-23-2003, 09:54 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 08-27-2003, 09:00 AM   #21
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 09-03-2003, 06:45 AM   #22
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

So $220 later I have no more leaks!

Turns out it wasn't the gasket.

Took the tranny shop about 5 minutes to figure out the trouble.

When I took my car to that POS 5.0 performance shop in Nashua, NH to have the headers and exhaust installed, they unbolted the tranny dipstik tube and BENT IT out of the way. that caused the seal between the tube and the tranny to have a gap not allowing that rubber grommet gasket thing to properly seal and the leak was coming from there.

I first noticed the leak right after the shop installed my exhaust. So I called and talked to them about it and they were way defensive, insisting that they did not do anything remotely near the tranny that would cause a leak..

This was back in November, so although I have the bent part, I have no recourse with them to reimburse me for the repairs.

Bastard 5.0 Performance in Nashua SUCKS MY LEFT NUT!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:01 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vert
So $220 later I have no more leaks!

Turns out it wasn't the gasket.

Took the tranny shop about 5 minutes to figure out the trouble.

When I took my car to that POS 5.0 performance shop in Nashua, NH to have the headers and exhaust installed, they unbolted the tranny dipstik tube and BENT IT out of the way. that caused the seal between the tube and the tranny to have a gap not allowing that rubber grommet gasket thing to properly seal and the leak was coming from there.

I first noticed the leak right after the shop installed my exhaust. So I called and talked to them about it and they were way defensive, insisting that they did not do anything remotely near the tranny that would cause a leak..

This was back in November, so although I have the bent part, I have no recourse with them to reimburse me for the repairs.

Bastard 5.0 Performance in Nashua SUCKS MY LEFT NUT!
yea pro 5.0 def. sucks. sorry to hear.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:05 AM   #24
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

On the other hand, Freddy's Transmission in Hudson NH gets a thumbs up. They are a very respected shop, but not a performance shop. They really didn't want to get involved with installing a shift kit or performance Torque Converter on the 4R70W tranny because 'it's not really designed for that'. They repair trannys to factory specs, using factory parts and recommended fluid. So I couldn't get to first base with them on using Royal Purple, or swapping the tranny pan for one with a drain plug..
Old 09-03-2003, 08:28 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

I can understand small shops not wanting to install performance products for the reason that if the product fails or not performs correctly, it could be "blamed" on the person who installs it. But they could've installed royal purple lub in it. thats nothing..heh. Guess you have a weekend project to do sometime.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang