Oil Change problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2003, 07:25 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to 94sexystang Send a message via Yahoo to 94sexystang
Oil Change problems

OK its been quite a while it seems since I last changed my oil.
But i bought all the stuff a few days ago and I go out today to do it and my cars parked at the bottom of my hill right over a big long gap in the road, from erotion, so i choose to do it there.

My problem is this, i CANNOT get that ####### filter off for ANYTHING.

Ive tried and tried and it wont ****ing budge, i was told to let the car warm up first to heat the oil up alittle bit, but im not sure how much of a role warming it up will do with getting my oil filter off easier.

My car runs fine right now, and it is leaking oil right now, but its because the seal ring around the base of the Dipstick is loose.

I needa just take a powerwasher to the bottom of my car, its pretty gross around the front base where the front axel is ( or whatever its called)

The grip part at the bottom of the filter is starting to fade off, and it seems I cant get a good grip on the filter for ####, and if I do, it WILL NOT move, this pisses me off.

ANy ideas? WD40?
I will give your GT a run for its money.
94sexystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2003, 07:31 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to 94sexystang Send a message via Yahoo to 94sexystang
Oh yea and my dad thinks im stupid because I cant get it off, but i guess he forgot that HE torqued it on last time. I'm going to welcome him getting it off without any kind of sprays or chemicals.
I should have sprayed some wd 40 up in there but i was too pissed to do it, he got a new tool to loosen filters, its a piece of #### with a rubber grip thats tearing off, i think I needa start buying tools maybe,
I will give your GT a run for its money.
94sexystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Torqued it on?!?!

I thought it was just supposed to be tight...

It doesn't matter how much you damage it to get it off.. Man poke a hole in it with a screw driver and twist it off.. Put a pipe wrench on it.. Don't worry about bending it (once you bend it, it's going to really fold on itself, so be ready for it)
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
exactly, put oil on the rubber seal, then turn it til it makes contact, then another 1/2 to 3/4 turn, no more, do not over tighten!!, this should be written on all oil filters, lol.

I like the K&N filters, they have the shape of a 1" bolt stamped into the filter case, use a 1" wrench for a filter wrench to take it off. Works great, never use any wrench to put one on, hand tight only
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
I would have used the screw driver, but the 1" bolt one the K&N filter is pretty nice
Old 09-17-2003, 07:30 PM   #6

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I can break alot of them loose by hand. Tight ones too! I've worked at walmart auto center for awhile. Try using a strap style wrench, close to the base plate (where is screws on) of the filter. I didn't see anyone else say this, but , make sure you are turning it the right way. Twist left. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:15 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
3 words, oil filter wrench. You'll get it off in seconds.

http://www.v6stangs.com/how_to/maintenance/oil_change/
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
why not just crush the sides in a little to help you grip it?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:38 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Damn when putting it on only hand tight
Old 09-17-2003, 09:47 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I changed the oil in my ex wife's Ranger behind this teenager who did her's for a "favor", he must have put the thing on with a filter wrench and torqued it down good and tight, had to do the driving a screwdriver through the filter thing, and it was still fighting hard not to come off, lol.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:54 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

HAND TIGHT!!!!! HAND TIGHT!!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 10:04 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
turn it to the left not the right
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

righty tighty, lefty loosey, yeah yeah, I know that, lol.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
The last time my Fiancee got her oil changed she took it somewhere and they didn't replace the oil filter, just took it off, and poured it out or something. It was so torqued down I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to get it off, not only that but they overfilled it by at least a quart. Never letting her do that again. I'm doing her oil changes from now on.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:49 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Gorilla Mechanics need to go back and work on tractors or M1 Abrams battle tanks. It is hard to find quick change oil places with good help they are all flunkies
Old 09-22-2003, 04:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
I tend to agree. Finding a good body shop is kinda hard too.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually that is a little easier cause all you need to do is look for nice custom paint and body work and ask where they got it done.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

i change oil all the time at sears, if a mechanic cant do it or ****s something up they are totally retarded, i think i did like 6 cars today just for oil changes.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

It's not they cant but they dont pay attention and they use the automated oil dispenser and dont put enough or they put in to much. I always have them put Synthetic and make them show me the containers
Old 09-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #20

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I do alot of oil changes for walmart. I get so many where you think that they put the filter on with an impact and one of those cups.I guess they see the 3/4 turn after gastket seats, and somehow think 3 to 4 turns. Some people are just too damn stupid. 94sexystang hasn't posted since last month....to the day, hope the oil was changed
Old 09-30-2003, 11:14 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
It's not they cant but they dont pay attention and they use the automated oil dispenser and dont put enough or they put in to much. I always have them put Synthetic and make them show me the containers
we have a gun and it shows how much oil is dispenced. I know everyone i work with watches it and checks it.
Like the gas meter at the pump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang