Procharger vs. Vortec - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to powerhungry966
Question Procharger vs. Vortec

hey guys whats the difference in procharger and vortec superchargers? and wat kind of hp difference do each produce..

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
powerhungry966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
Re: procharger vs. vortec

whipple > both
Old 10-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i like the procharger more. The vortech is a good brand and in many ways is just as good as the procharger. I wont get into which reliably speaking is better here. The procharger comes with an intercooler, that to me is well worth it over the vortech.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
i like the procharger more. The vortech is a good brand and in many ways is just as good as the procharger. I wont get into which reliably speaking is better here. The procharger comes with an intercooler, that to me is well worth it over the vortech.
i have heard though that by adding a spearco intercooler to a vortech it will yield a much better, gain than the ATI
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Isn't the procharger also self contained so you don't have to run any oil lines into your oil pan?

I don't know which is better personally, I have asked this question a couple times myself but never really got a solid answer. It is like most things though, some will say PC, others will say Vortech. It is like what is better, a kenne bell or a whipple? There is probably no definitive answer.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

^yes, the procharger is self contained
Old 10-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

its all in what youre looking for, and personal preference
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

in the end the vortech will probaly cost you more due to having to buy a 500 buck intercooler plus piping~ around that. Both are nice so you cant really go wront with either.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

Most all the LS1 guys prefer the Procharger. Just not having to punch a hole in the oil pan would be enough to convince me. I don't have first hand experience with either, though.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

go procharger, check out their website and see for your self. they have proven trials of their superchargers and all were superrior to the "competitor". drag race authorities have actually penialized procharger for being too efficient. cars equipt with procharger have to have a smaller blower because of how efficient they are because if they had the same size blower the competitor had they would have 900+ hp than their competitor. in the end its all up to personal preference.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpomps
go procharger, check out their website and see for your self. they have proven trials of their superchargers and all were superrior to the "competitor". drag race authorities have actually penialized procharger for being too efficient. cars equipt with procharger have to have a smaller blower because of how efficient they are because if they had the same size blower the competitor had they would have 900+ hp than their competitor. in the end its all up to personal preference.
Dont bother with manufacturer websites...

do you expect someone to sell a product and say "not only is our product more expensive than our competators, but its also made of lesser quality materials, is less durably, and even makes less power!"

every manufacturer thinks their product is the best, yadda yadda yadda

a blower is NEVER as effecient as they want you to believe, they actually only about 55% efficient, because it takes almost half of the power to spin the supercharger in its effective RPMs when under load
Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

a supercharger is less efficient than a turbo but not by that large of a margin. a turbo spins faster so it can make more power, thats one advantage of a turbo, a supercharger only loses5-10% of power from the pulley.
bigpomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:41 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
a turbo spins faster so it can make more power, thats one advantage of a turbo
huh?

a turbo is more effecient...there is no direct connection to the engine in the way a supercharger is belt driven. The turbo is driven off of hot exhaust gasses, yes, it does create a restriction in the exhaust, but its only a margin of loss compaired to what a supercharger loses through the belt. The speed of the turbine has no impact on why a turbo makes more power, its the efficiency

A supercharger loses a lot more than 5-10% of its power though the pulley, especially when you see how wide the belt is, and have you ever spin a supercharger by hand? its not nearly as easy to spin as a turbo. Superchargers lose anywhere from 30-50% of their power through the pulley.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to powerhungry966

smaller pulley! haha

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
powerhungry966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24

superchargers are more dependable the turbos though.

the vortech makes about the same power as the procharger does, and that's without an aftercooler for the vortech.

I'd suggest a Vortech with methanol injection

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

I have run mid 11's with a Vortech ,Here's the problem if you want to stay around 8- 12 psi boost Vortechs is fine if you go for the bigger boost you need to find a way to cool the air down, I use nitrous some people like it some don't all I'll tell you is it works. Prochargers I have heard both good and bad ,they do come with an intercooler ,but the intercooler is designed for
7 Psi or 11 Psi when you start boosting to 16 psi now your getting out of the
efficiency rating of the intercooler especially if it's a two core intercooler .
As far as Turbo's being superior to Superchargers ,yes it's true superchargers have their drawbacks ,but so do turbo's . The engine set up is the most important thing you can do for your power adder ,choose which one
and build the engine around that .Superchargers on high HP engines will need to be able to turn very high RPMs where turb'o don't need as high a rmp(and I am speaking of trap RPM's ). So a High Hp supercharger need a better valve train ,the best rods you can afford ,to be able to withstand the high Rpm's you will turn at traps. Turbo's with their preferred lower rear end gears will not be turning high rpm's that the supercharger engines will ,so it really comes down to planning ,you need to look at a Hp goal ,what are you going to be doing with this set up I.E suspension,fuel needs, exhaust.
GT-Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

If you are looking for a Race blower by all means go with a ProCharger F series blower but if you are looking for a reliable street blower that will support almost any amount of "street" power then choose between the S, T, or JT Trim Vortechs... They are reliable and make excellent power. Most folks are afraid to punch the oil pan with the Vortech but as I see it that is a good way to easily change the oil at the same time the motor oil is changed without having to remove the blower. I installed a filter system on my Vortech just in case any particles get by oilwise and has worked perfectly in my street/strip car for 6+ years and counting... I have changed a few seals on old ProChargers so call me skeptical about their street blowers... JMHO...
2006 Redfire A/T Mustang GT
xtremejc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to StangGt804 Send a message via Yahoo to StangGt804

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Eater
I have run mid 11's with a Vortech ,Here's the problem if you want to stay around 8- 12 psi boost Vortechs is fine if you go for the bigger boost you need to find a way to cool the air down, I use nitrous some people like it some don't all I'll tell you is it works. Prochargers I have heard both good and bad ,they do come with an intercooler ,but the intercooler is designed for
7 Psi or 11 Psi when you start boosting to 16 psi now your getting out of the
efficiency rating of the intercooler especially if it's a two core intercooler .
As far as Turbo's being superior to Superchargers ,yes it's true superchargers have their drawbacks ,but so do turbo's . The engine set up is the most important thing you can do for your power adder ,choose which one
and build the engine around that .Superchargers on high HP engines will need to be able to turn very high RPMs where turb'o don't need as high a rmp(and I am speaking of trap RPM's ). So a High Hp supercharger need a better valve train ,the best rods you can afford ,to be able to withstand the high Rpm's you will turn at traps. Turbo's with their preferred lower rear end gears will not be turning high rpm's that the supercharger engines will ,so it really comes down to planning ,you need to look at a Hp goal ,what are you going to be doing with this set up I.E suspension,fuel needs, exhaust.
so when you say high hp. does that mean around 400-500hp?? cause i want to get a vortech next year, and i wanna stay at 8-12 psi. so ill be fine? And i know about changing the internals. wen i reach at 400 or so, so me having a s/c wont "kill" how the way my car will drive versus a turbo'ed car?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

I am pushing 10 psi with my vortech and it is a piece of cake to drive.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 11-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I dunno about opinions/who is better/etc.. but I just ordered a 9 PSI intercooled kit for the 92..
Old 11-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
I dunno about opinions/who is better/etc.. but I just ordered a 9 PSI intercooled kit for the 92..
what brand is that?

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Interesting piece, highly technical language. And of course it's given out by Vortech so take it as you will. but it goes along with what I've seen that S-trim is more efficient then the P1SC. (people make almost the same power at the same boost with a non IC vortech as with the P1SC with a 2 core intercooler)

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...1sc_report.pdf

-Adolf Hitler, 1935
Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGt804
so when you say high hp. does that mean around 400-500hp?? cause i want to get a vortech next year, and i wanna stay at 8-12 psi. so ill be fine? And i know about changing the internals. wen i reach at 400 or so, so me having a s/c wont "kill" how the way my car will drive versus a turbo'ed car?
high hp meaning 600+ in my book.

a supercharger will make the car way more fun to drive, especially in the city. though top end will sometimes be lacking. however a turbo, by nature, is a exhaust restriction. around town the car will feel sluggishwhile in vacuum, till you get to positive boost levels(0psi and above), then it wants to take off. and top end freeway pulls makes up for its city driving dullness. though most of my still dsm buddies with huge turbo's love the fact that since theyre driving around in vacuum all day(-15 on the boost gauge) their mileage is very good. a buddy recorded 400miles to a tank(12gal) one week, and 300miles per tank doing WOT pulls a few times a day, and thats with 750cc injectors and 255lph fuel pump. i know if i had a SC, id prolly be getting on it alot, and i would be filling up every couple days.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

The centrifugal blowers are all about top end. Plus with the bypass valve you are in around 10-15Hg vacuum at part throttle. It only goes into boost when you get on the gas pedal.

If you want low end and no lag then the KB is probably the best choice. The centrifugal blowers will add some low end but not as much. They like to be revved. (remember though, rpm is more deadly to your engine then boost)

If I want to really go, I just downshift and I'll be right into the power band with instant boost.

-Adolf Hitler, 1935

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang