dump the clutch before launch? good advise? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Texas
dump the clutch before launch? good advise?

Last night was my first time out on the track.
I asked a few of the guys around me for a little advise.

I guy driving a 2000(?) mustang gt told me I should lock up the rear (or some term like that) while in the water, by dropping the clutch right before the race. He said the rear wheels will spin together by doing this and that would give me a better launch. He also threw in some people tell him not to do it, but he prefers it anyway.

Could you guys clear this up for me. Explain it in better detail and terms. Maybe a little pro vs con.

05' Mustang GT, C&L Trueflow air intake, DiabloSport Predator tune
jones4stangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: dump the clutch before launch? good advise?

if you have street tires you do not need to go thought the water box, nore do you need to heat up your tires, just spin em for like one sec to clean em off and thats it. Try to hold the rpms at 2000 rpms and when the time for you to go comes come off the clutch quick, but dont dump it, and get on the gas, not full throttle kind of go as a modest pace. When you see the car raise up (front end raises up) then get into the gas. You may have to raise your rpm's when you launch to find what works best for you.

Dont shift super hard and what not when you have a crappy 60ft times, there is no point. Work on getting your 60ft down to 2.1 or 2.0 before you try to worry about shifting right. No need to put wear on the motor/clutch when you have a horrid 60ft, your still going to run bad.

It takes time and practice so give each rpm launch attempt a few times before you change it. you will eventually find a spot that you can launch good at.

there is no locking of the rear as they say... the tlok clutches do that so dont worry about that.

2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to tedness
Re: dump the clutch before launch? good advise?

2000rpms is still under peak torque and a good point so you don't burn up your clutch when you launch.

my problem is i let off too quick and want to floor it when i launch, so therefore i do nothing but spin. my tires were so hot that they didn't spin by the time i got my best run of 16.358

i had just done like 10 runs in a row to get them that warm.

also don't over-inflate like i did. that caused me to just spin hard.
tedness is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang