o2 sensors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
o2 sensors

Hey guys so im hitting the 150,000 mile marker on my 97 mustang v6 and well I thought that maybe just maybe I need to replace my o2 sensors. Since we never have replaced them since we bought the car brand new back in 97. So anyways I am having trouble locating the sensors, I see one right away after the cat but I cant see the other ones. Now I have been researching all damn day and I cant find crap on this things and I have read from more then one site that it has 4 sensors is this true? Now another questions is I dont have cats on my car since they got damaged a while back so I took them off since its not a must here in texas. My question is if I put the sensors brand new all four by me not having the cats will the o2 sensors get damged after I put them on? I just feel dumb asking this questions but they need to get answeared. Please any feedback will be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
falconplayer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: o2 sensors

I could give a nice thoughtfull explanation, but if you don't have Cats then why bother with O2 sensors? Unless I am missing something (which I might be) but O2 sensors usually just measure emissions before and after the Cat (unless they are measuring emissions anyway on some different level).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

True I went ahead and research what the o2 sensors are for and all they do is tell the computer if the fuel that ur burning is lean or rich so it readjusts the fuel and the air ratio to get it "perfect" mixture now having this in mind would you say that its better to put cats on the car or should I just leave them off and does the o2 sensor still work with the cats off? The site I visited also said that if the ratio wasn't perfect it would run poorly by either burning too much fuel or not enough causing damage to the engine and if the o2 sensors wernt working then the computer would just be guessing the ratio of the mixture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

In your case it might be easier to just put Cats back on, probably cheaper and less of a headache.

Has a CEL stayed on for them? If it is than it just might be better to get MIL eliminators (and even cheaper). These will shut off the O2 sensors.

Unless you look for performance though then keep the Cats off. Plenty of drivers run with out Cats. I don't really know whether there will be much of a difference if you don't use your O2 sensors. It's true that the car will be guessing how much fuel to use but I don't know exacts, perhaps somebody else can tell you. I would think a new tune might be needed.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Aww man if you wouldn't of told me about the MIL eliminators or the CEL light I would of never found this bro thanks Ill post what I found out of American Muscle with due respect. Thanks bro this answers my questions.

"Why am I getting this light? The CEL can illuminate for thousands of reasons. The particular reason it is lighting in this situation has to do with your Rear O2 Sensors. Your 1996+ Mustang has both Front O2 Sensors, located inline in front of your catalytic converters, and Rear O2 Sensors located inline behind your catalytic converters. Your Front O2 Sensors are an essential part of your Fuel Injection System, and along with your Mass Air Sensor, helps your car's computer keep your Air Fuel Ratio correct. Your Rear O2 Sensors however do not affect you’re A/F Ratio at all and simply check to make sure your catalytic converters are functioning properly.

In the case of an O/R mid-pipe that has no converters, and sometimes with high-flow catalytic converter mid-pipes, the Rear O2 sensor will deliver a signal to the car's computer that the catalytic converters are not functioning properly. There are two different ways to correct for this issue, inline MIL Eliminators or a Custom Tune."

Again man thanks a lot and I posted what I found so that we can all learn how and why o2 sensors are better to keep functioning and how to keep the CATs off for better performance.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang