Underdrive Pulley worth it *Split* - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Re: i need some help on how to mod a v6

screw the UDP. waste of money
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

^ not really.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow
^ not really.
For a 99+ it is a waste of money

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
^ not really.
you're asking for ideas. If you're so convinced it's not a waste of money, then get one. But on a 99+, it is over $200 for the pulley and the harmonic balancer. Plus another $30 or so for a new belt. For ~5whp (if that. I never felt it at all on my 98)
Old 10-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
you're asking for ideas. If you're so convinced it's not a waste of money, then get one. But on a 99+, it is over $200 for the pulley and the harmonic balancer. Plus another $30 or so for a new belt. For ~5whp (if that. I never felt it at all on my 98)
Exactly, if you had a 94-98 then it wouldnt be a big deal

Reddit
Old 10-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Exactly, if you had a 94-98 then it wouldnt be a big deal
I'd only use a UDP on an NA setup with gearing and higher RPM requirements.
They do help mileage though, if that is a consideration.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Alrighty experts. I HAVE a 42% udp on mine and noticed a difference in that way over a MAC cold air. IMO, the cold air was a waste of money. Speaking from ACTUAL experience with a UDP on a 99+. :fu1: And I'm not the one asking for ideas, just giving them rather than criticizing those who are offering ideas!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Alrighty experts. I HAVE a 42% udp on mine and noticed a difference in that way over a MAC cold air. IMO, the cold air was a waste of money. Speaking from ACTUAL experience with a UDP on a 99+. :fu1: And I'm not the one asking for ideas, just giving them rather than criticizing those who are offering ideas!
wow, go pat yourself on the back. Glad you could feel it. I never felt it on mine. Nor did quite a few other people I have talked to. Then again adding 5hp isn't very noticable to most people. Good thing your psycological effects are working to justify $250 spent on 5hp.

Go be an e-thug elsewhere please.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

I think the UDP is worthwhile but the cost of the 99+ has to be addressed. It all depends on the budget. If money is tight I would just pass on the UDP for the 99+. My feelings is 5 hp gain is nothing to look past for a bolt on. Especially with people dropping big cash on exhaust kits and only getting 0-2 HP gain.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
wow, go pat yourself on the back. Glad you could feel it. I never felt it on mine. Nor did quite a few other people I have talked to. Then again adding 5hp isn't very noticable to most people. Good thing your psycological effects are working to justify $250 spent on 5hp.

Go be an e-thug elsewhere please.

Go pat yourself on the back for acting like you are the expert on all things. I'm speaking from my experience, your speaking from your experience. I felt more than 5 hp difference on mine. More like 10-12.
As I've stated before, all bolt on's are a comparable waste of money compared to a power adder. How do you justify buying a cold air intake for $275 that adds maybe the same power as a udp for $100 bucks less? Mine was $130 with the belt and I would probably not have bothered with it if it had been $200. But I do agree they're expensive.
All I'm saying is, if your gonna bash udp's, then bash all the other stuff everyone does that doesn't amount to even that much gain for even more money.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Go pat yourself on the back for acting like you are the expert on all things. I'm speaking from my experience, your speaking from your experience. I felt more than 5 hp difference on mine. More like 10-12.
As I've stated before, all bolt on's are a comparable waste of money compared to a power adder. How do you justify buying a cold air intake for $275 that adds maybe the same power as a udp for $100 bucks less? Mine was $130 with the belt and I would probably not have bothered with it if it had been $200. But I do agree they're expensive.
All I'm saying is, if your gonna bash udp's, then bash all the other stuff everyone does that doesn't amount to even that much gain for even more money.
You do know that the UDP did not give you 10-12 HP.

Now with that out of the way. BE DECENT!!!!! BROTHER COREY DOES NOT LIKE PERSONAL DISTURBANCES IN TECH AREAS!!!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
Regular

Quote:
That UDP did not give you 10-12 HP. More like 4-5 if that.

What you noticed doesn't matter.... noticing does not = actual horsepower gain.

Reddit
Old 10-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Whatever. I purposely installed all my upgrades separately so I could feel which one gave the most gain:UDP($130) gained more than CAI($270). Im done with this.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:09 PM   #14
Regular

Quote:
Whatever. I purposely installed all my upgrades separately so I could feel which one gave the most gain:UDP($130) gained more than CAI($270). Im done with this.
The CAI has been proven to be worthless, and the udp will more than likely result in more hp than a CAI, that still doesn't mean you got 10-12 hp from a UDP.

Reddit
Old 10-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Look, all I'm saying is the ol' tried and true bolt on's are worthless, the only reason I held out the UDP was because it's about the only one doesn't have to be re-done when adding a serious power adder like a turbo or nitrous (except for a supercharger of course). Again, ALL BOLT-ON'S ARE WORTHLESS! Is everyone happy now?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #16
Regular

Quote:
Look, all I'm saying is the ol' tried and true bolt on's are worthless, the only reason I held out the UDP was because it's about the only one doesn't have to be re-done when adding a serious power adder like a turbo or nitrous (except for a supercharger of course). Again, ALL BOLT-ON'S ARE WORTHLESS! Is everyone happy now?
Ok... all I am saying is that it is impossible to get 10-12 hp out of a UDP alone.

Reddit
Old 10-26-2005, 04:25 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Why you would spend $270 on a cold air is beside me. You can find the same thing on eBay for $75. That's a better cost/lack of power deal.

Quote:
I never said anything about other bolt-ons did I? I never said a CAI was awesome did I? Negative ghost rider
Quote:
ALL BOLT-ON'S ARE WORTHLESS! Is everyone happy now?
never said they weren't That's why you always see me in the FI forum
Old 10-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Look dude, your the one who keeps rehashing it so I'll keep my end up until your done. I'm glad you find enjoyment out of trying to sound important like you know all and have the experience of everyone on this forum combined. You say you put one on a pre 99. Ok, fine, I guess that makes you an expert on udp's on pre 99's. Congratulations. I have put a UDP on my `04. I felt a noticable gain. It may not have been 10 hp, but it was still a mod that can be done anytime and still have a poweradder added on later. Also, as I had said before, if I had payed the $200 dollars, which seems to be the figure your harping on, it would have been a waste, but I found a good deal on it and decided to pursue it. Was the UDP you used a 42% reduction? Mine is and would have a slight improvemnt over a 25%. I'm not disputing that you didn't feel a gain in your car, but no one can tell me what I felt in my car. Like dynotuning, everyone's car is different. If I hear another "It wasn't 10 hp", I'm doing to ROFL! I don't care what you think the gain was, it may not have been 10 but who are you to say? And if you want a quote by quote tear down of what you've been saying I can certainly do that as well.
I don't like how this thread has been ruined for the person who started it, so if you have anything else to say, take it to the pm's.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

ntopic:

I want to say something neutral that hopefully won't spike some conflict. I think the reason why we tell people to do bolt on's first is because it's easier and starts them in a direction. helps them get familiar with their car and other stuff.

But to everyone who is just doing the minimum don't expect to have massive gains and think you're gonna be putting down huge numbers just from exhaust, CAI, udp, and a chip. Yes they do help, but it's just a start. Everyone's car is in a different condition, year, mileage, how well they maintain it ect... so everyone will feel something different with their own car and the changes they make.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #20
Regular

Re: Underdrive Pulley worth it *Split*

I believe we have all said our spill here and no one is going to change their opinion on whether or not it is worth it or not.

Pm's if you want to discuss this further.

Reddit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang