help finding mods for a 04 3.9 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #1

help finding mods for a 04 3.9

ive looked everywhere for mods and i just cant seem to find any for my car, i could really use sum help, anything would b helpful, primarlly looking for chips/programmers and wondering if i should get a turbocharger or a supercharger. looking to spend about 1200 bucks thanks for any help
MusTangsRunWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: help finding mods for a 04 3.9

american muscle summit jegs. If it fits a 99-04 3.8 it will fit yours. I'd invest in this : 4.10 Gears for 7.5 Rear end at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Ford Racing 7.5" 28 Spline Traction - LOK Limited Slip Differential at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner - 3rd Generation SCT XCalibrator - FREE SHIPPING!
Do all this and the next time you stomp on the gas pedal you'll **** your pants.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #3

is dat for a standard or auto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

The 3.8 and 3.9 is the same motor, the 3.9 was a result of the end of the assembly line for Mustangs and when they were putting together the motors they had to take internals from other cars which resulted in a longer stroke (the .1 L difference). Not that you really need to know that but it's just a FYI. What you do need to know is that any parts for the 3.8 L will bolt up to the 3.9 L

As for whether or not to go Super- or Turbocharged is up to your personal preference. Screw types for the V6 seem to need a lot of modification. Turbochargers seem to need even more and many of the manufacturers have disappeared. A centrifugal supercharger like Procharger or Vortech would be your best bet, however like turbochargers they also have a "lag" before you see any boost.

Personally I'd like to see a screw type or roots blower on there since it offers low end power and torque. The 3.8/3.9 and 4.6 L motors have a power curve that's higher in the RPM range (as opposed to the 5.0L motors where the power band is much lower, nearly instant). Having a turbo or centrifugal supercharger on there isn't terrible either though, the lag is short (and is sometimes almost as instant as screw type) and the power band should increase through the power band.

You won't go Forced Induction (a.k.a. FI; i.e. supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous) for less than $1200. Like upton said for that money go with upgrading your rear end, possible strengthening the motors internals for when you go FI as well as a tuner, a Dyno run and custom tunes.

A great way to start is to read ME's Guide to Modding (paraphrased). Click on the Articles tab on top and the article is listed right in there "Guide to modding from the start" (again paraphrased).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah, these guys pretty much took care of you. I agree with both...beef up the rearend, followed up by a good tune. If you're an auto, the tune will really wake up the car. If you have some of the $1200 left over, I'd either save up and work on some engine internals, or work on brakes or suspension. As Osirisguy said, those things will be great support items for any forced induction in the future.

In the end, for $1200 or less, you'll get noticeable performance and peace of mind when with your drivetrain when building more power later.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #6

do those gears and diff mater if its a standard or automatic? cause i have an auto
Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

V6 Mustangs have a 7.5" rear end while the GT (and other models) have a 8.8" rear end. That would probably be the only big difference. The advice for gear ratio on your car usually goes 3.73 for manuals and 4.10 for automatics. The choice is up to you though and you can stay low and just get the 3.73 or go even higher and get a 4.60 gear ratio, but generally for the automatic anything less than the 4.10 isn't enough for most people (and FWIW anything higher than 3.73 on standards is too much for most people).

For more information about rear end gears, check out our http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t158093/ (shameless self promotion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang