Hmm.. What to buy. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm.. What to buy.

I've got a stock Automatic v6 3.9L 2004 Convertible. Its.. Engine stock. I've got a few aftermarket products that I'm looking at. I just dont know what to get first for my $400-500 budget.

Here they are.. I'd rather just you pick them out then give me new ideas Thanks... Unless you have a better one for cheaper.

1. Cold Air Intake - $75.00
Mustang V6 Cold Air Intake Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

2. Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler - $65.00
Flowmaster Original 40 Series Offset Muffler at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

3. 4.10 Gears - $165.00
Mustang 4.10 Gears at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

4. BBK 65mm Throttle Body - $250.00
BBK 65mm Throttle Body (01-04 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

5. Eibach Springs - $250.00
Eibach Pro Kit Springs at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

6. SCT Tuner - $380.00
SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner - 3rd Generation SCT XCalibrator - FREE SHIPPING!

7. NOS Sniper Wet System - (I can get it for) $310.00
Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) 07005NOS - NOS Sniper EFI Wet Nitrous Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

So.. which ones should I get? I've got a $400-500 budget.

v0nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Hmm.. What to buy.

Dude....it's YOUR car! None of us mind giving you advice on what works well, or our opinion of any mod....but ultimately, IT'S YOUR DECISION!!! Depending on what you want to do with the car, my ADVICE would be to start with the basics...... CAI, exhaust, tuner, and maybe gears.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just not an expert. My dad is and probably people like you on forums. I asked my dad and I'd like a second opinion and you guys havent let me down yet..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

lol...I'm faaaaaaaarrrrrrrr from an expert! About the closest you'll get to experts here, are spectorV and osirisguy. But, that's what we do here, is try to all learn from each other. Personally, I think you should start with the basics, instead of going straight for N2O.........I think it'd be way overkill for a 1st mod, and without the basics, you'll see a big gain, but you won't see as much of a gain. Start with the basics, learn how the car reacts to those.....and see what more you want out of it. Most of all....LEARN THE CAR....learn the car's limits( as well as your own limits)then decide what you want out of the car.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Hell I'm far from an expert and there are plenty of other guys here who know a **** ton more than me, besides Spector there's PureVenom, Herbstang, bbunt off the top of my head, not to mention most of the Legacy Members and other Moderators. I just happen to learn a lot from being on here so much and seeing a lot of the same questions, doing my own research and just all in all spending a lot of time on the internet

But to answer your question you should give this a read:V6 Mustang Modification Guide

As for your list,
A CAI and exhaust will help the engine breathe better, and some suspension upgrades (springs/struts/shocks) will do wonders for both the handling and looks of the vehicle. A throttle body won't do you much unless you are going forced induction and I'm just generally not a fan of NOS. Gears, NOS and a proper tune (each individually) will just about take up, or exceed your budget. Both gears and NOS to get installed will run up pretty quickly. A new tune for the car will really help a lot, especially with an automatic transmission, but the best way to get a car tuned is professionally with a Dyno and programmer. More than likely they use SCT to load the software so you'll need the tuner anyway, but an individual can only do so much by pressing buttons. BTW gears don't add horsepower, they are just a multiplier for the amount of torque that's put towards the wheels.

But that's only my opinion. It may be worth it to you to spend the $500 on a gear install (for instance) (which would really give you a kick in the pants) and save up for the American Muscle CAI next, but most people get the CAI first and the exhaust either with the CAI or right after it. This would be a nice way to mod and save some cash for either a "just in case" fund, or towards the next mod fund
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I vote gears first, it would be the most noticeable bang for the buck.

Go for a CAI unless you plan to save up for a year and go boost..

Don't do just a muffler, try and find a catback setup - the muffler alone won't gain you any power, from my experience

For the price, throttle body won't help much, that's one item I say look around for a used deal, they tend to pop up pretty often..

Handheld tuner is not a bad idea, esp if you find someone who can build you a custom tune for it - It will allow you to calibrate your speedometer for the gears.. And with the automatic you will notice a big difference in shift points/pressures and speeds

In my opinion, nitrous is good if you're into drag racing only.. Beyond that its a limited use item, and you really really really have to be careful with the tune - I wouldn't use nitrous on a daily driven car, but that's just me..
Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ight, thanks for the help. I'm probably gonna start with a Catback and intake then gears and throttle body. Then.. of course.. NOS. And somewhere in between that.. I'll go get a dyno.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah

just for another quick opinion: I started with the CAI (the one you are looking at from AM is a great product) then a the exhaust. If you have the money for an X-pipe i would recommend that as well. A professional tune would be great, but that is pretty $$$ and the route i am taking is the SCT tuning chip from AM (gotta love AM) if you do that, make sure you get some tunes at 93 octane.
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-saleen View Post
just for another quick opinion: I started with the CAI (the one you are looking at from AM is a great product) then a the exhaust. If you have the money for an X-pipe i would recommend that as well. A professional tune would be great, but that is pretty $$$ and the route i am taking is the SCT tuning chip from AM (gotta love AM) if you do that, make sure you get some tunes at 93 octane.
While American Muscle is a great place to buy mustang parts (probably one of the best around!) I would consider a custom tune by Justin at VMP Tuning. He does an amazing job with v6's. They also use SCT. The custom tunes like that from VMP are the next best thing to an actual dyno tune.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

500 bucks might get gears and install them~ but I would save another 200 and get a Tlok unit... but your speedo will be off and require a speedcal or a tune to fix so factor that cost in as well.

I would personally start with exhaust since you get sound, looks and some performance out of it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang