98 auto shift kit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question 98 auto shift kit?

hey just joined mustang evo and i have a 98 mustang auto w/mac cold air and mac exhaust, i know the shifting for this automatic aint the greatest but i heard that there are shift kits, i want to know what they do and how much to install, where to get them? also is it worth it or should i just get a 3.73 or 4.10 for my 7.5 auto, or wait and get a 8.8 then the 3.73-4.10?? also what about a torque converter? will it help much? i want to get a blower later on and push at least 300hp to keep up with GT's or at best beat em by the end of 2006. if anyone can help me plz reply.
thanks
98 MUSTANG V6 AUTO-MAC FENDER COLD AIR INTAKE-STEEDA 4 BOLT FULLY ADJ CASTER/CAMBER KIT-EIBACH PRO KIT SPRINGS-MAC DUAL EXHAUST KIT-S2K BODY KIT-17"COBRA RIMS-245 BF TA KDW (NT)FRONT-275 BF TA KDW (TT)REAR-BLACK WIDOW WING-BULLIT GAS CAP-DUAL PILAR POD-REVERSE GLOW GAUGES-COBRA R HOOD
mrvMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Re: 98 auto shift kit?

Goto www.tccoa.com and go into their tech section. Look in the Transmission category and find anything to do with the JMod, read up on that and decide if you'd like to do that or just pay for a full kit.

Look on Ebay and google a search for AODE/4R70W shift kit and you'll find some things.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:49 AM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Whatever you do do not buy the electronic shift.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I had a 98 auto too. My drivetrain was phenominal. I had V8s that knew me not want to race me from a stop. I'll try to answer the questions as best I can for ya.

Shift kit -- A shift kit will open up the valves in the transmission. This will allow more transmission fluid to pass when shifting. This will firm up shifts and make them quicker. So instead of slipping the clutch plates, it will just grab and change gears. It's good for maybe .1 off of a 1/4mi time. Not really a great 1/4mi mod, but it does help the shifting and staying in the power band. Believe it or not, it actually helps the life of the tranny. Slipping clutch plates = heat. Heat kills transmissions. Price is usually about $100-150 for the kit and about another 100 for install. I think I paid $175 installed for mine at my old transmission guy's shop. Basically just goto an individually owned transmission shop. (ie. not a corporate or franchise store) and talk to the guys about getting a shift kit. They can hook you up.

Gears -- Get 4.10s. If you know you're gonna get a blower, then I would suggest just finding an 8.8 with 4.10s already installed and install the rear end yourself. You'll save a couple dollars, but you will have the security of an 8.8 to handle all the power you want. You'll also want a SpeedCal to recalibrate your speedometer. Or you can get a 23 tooth speedogear from Steeda.com and it will get you relativly close. Having a 98, you can get any 8.8 from 1984-2004 and it will bolt right up to your car. Rear ends from 99+ are going to be 1.5" wider over all, but it will fit. They will also be a little more expensive. Personally, I would search other mustang forums (mustangworld, corral, etc) for a fox body 8.8 with 4.10s. You should be able to find one for around $400-500 and then just put your axles, brakes, control arms on it and you're set. Gears will get you off the line quicker, but hurt you up top. The higher the number (lower the gear), the quicker acceleration you will have. Going from 2.73s to 4.10s with a t-lock will take about 0.4-0.5 off your ET.

Torque converter -- Amazing mod, but expensive. A torque converter does a lot of things. www.howstuffworks.com is a great informative site and will teach you what a TC will do. Generally, an aftermarket TC (torque converter) will be lighter than stock. Less mass = quicker revs thru the tranny. They will also have a higher torque multiplier. So instead of a 1.xx to 1 torque rating from stock, you could end up with a 2-3.xx to 1 rating. So you will gain some tq lost from parasitic loss. They will also raise your stall speed. Having a 98, I would opt for a 2600-2800 stall converter. This will let you brake stall to around 2000 rpms with the converter locking up at around 2600-2800 rpms. A good TC can take 0.5-0.6+ sec off your ET alone. You will also get great 60' times because of the brake stalling and torque amplifacation. The downside to a TC is that it creates more heat in the transmission. As I have already said, head kills trannies. But to remedy this, you can buy a tranny cooler and hook it up. That will off-set the heat generated by the TC. a tranny cooler can be had for less than $50 from steeda.com. A TC will cost about $600-700 and about $200-300 to install. You have to remove the whole tranny to install this, and almost flush the transmission fluid. It's not a quick job.

On my old 98, I had a PI Stallion TC with a Transgo Shift kit, Haden tranny cooler, aluminum drive shaft, 8.8 with 4.10s and auburn posi unit. I also ran slicks occasionally and sprayed nitrous off the line. I was cutting 1.6-1.7 60's at the track. I was beating cobras and trans ams off the line. (They would beat me after 60', but I beat them off the line) The AODE (4R70W) does respond well to aftermarket mods. I would not however suggest the aluminum driveshaft. IMO, it was a waste of money. I think with some good engine mods, and drivetrain mods you'll be fine.

Best of luck, Hope I answered everything you wanted to know. If you have any more questions, just post up here and I'll answer it. Oh, and welcome to ME :thumbs2:
Old 11-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

hey yeah thx for all the input, i was thinkin .373 gears cause of it being my daily driver getting me on the freeway every time i go out cause of where i live, and i got a shop that will give me some decent prices, about 200 for 8.8 install, let me know if that sounds about right
98 MUSTANG V6 AUTO-MAC FENDER COLD AIR INTAKE-STEEDA 4 BOLT FULLY ADJ CASTER/CAMBER KIT-EIBACH PRO KIT SPRINGS-MAC DUAL EXHAUST KIT-S2K BODY KIT-17"COBRA RIMS-245 BF TA KDW (NT)FRONT-275 BF TA KDW (TT)REAR-BLACK WIDOW WING-BULLIT GAS CAP-DUAL PILAR POD-REVERSE GLOW GAUGES-COBRA R HOOD
Old 11-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvMustang
hey yeah thx for all the input, i was thinkin .373 gears cause of it being my daily driver getting me on the freeway every time i go out cause of where i live, and i got a shop that will give me some decent prices, about 200 for 8.8 install, let me know if that sounds about right
I went on the highway all the time with my 4.10s.

4.10s will lower your mpg some compared to 3.73s on the highway, but will increase your mpg vs 3.73s in the city. It's not a huge difference in gas either way.

You can do the 8.8 swap yourself. Hell, if you wanna drive up to Dallas, I'll do it for you for $150
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

hmm i gotta get it first, ur up in dallas? yeah i havent driven there yet by myself but it seems like something i woould do, how long does that swap take?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:15 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
hmm i gotta get it first, ur up in dallas? yeah i havent driven there yet by myself but it seems like something i woould do, how long does that swap take?
with hand tools, about a day. It's just moving the stuff that is complicated. The rear is only held on by 14 bolts. But 4 are always a b*tch (driveshaft bolts) as can be the brake caliper ones sometimes.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

4.10's on an auto are the way to go. I made several long distance trips with them this year. even got 24 mpg highway with them.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

u run a 2000 V6 i run a 98, i think the emissions might be a bit better for yours
Old 11-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
u run a 2000 V6 i run a 98, i think the emissions might be a bit better for yours
same car. The IRCs were introduced in 2001. Mustangs are on the same chassis from 1979 and use the same core engine from 1994-2004. I had 4.10s in my 98 auto and would drive from Waco to Dallas and be fine. Waco to Lubbock and still get good milage. I think my milage was always right around 20-22mpg with all of my mods together, and you have fewer mods than I had.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang