Engine swap 3.8L to 4.6L NEED HELP!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 AM   #1

Region: California
Exclamation Engine swap 3.8L to 4.6L NEED HELP!!!!

Hey guys I broke down my 2000 v6 engine and instead of buying the same 3.8 I though I would just upgrade to a GT engine. I need your help to find out what I need to change in order to make this swap succesfully. So far I know I have to buy the engine obviously, the transmission, the computer and the motor mounts. Tell me your opinion based on your knowledge and if you have performed this swap before I would appreciate all the help I can get from you. Thanks guys hope to hear from you !!!!
PonDog15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005, 01:16 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Re: Engine swap 3.8L to 4.6L NEED HELP!!!!

not in cali you wont.

what happens come smog time when they go to smog a v6 and find 2 extra cylinders? your vin comes up as a 3.8v6 but the tech notices its a 4.6v8, he shuts the hood and tells you he cant touch the car. same with every other shop, unless you have a hookup.

and god forbid you wreck it, and insurance finds out they were insuring a 3.8 but is now a 4.6. theyll drop you, so you have to now pay for damages, and on top of that, they slap you with fraud. youre done.

for the price its gonna take to do the swap, you can build a 3.8 and supercharge it and laugh at gt's. unless you can find a whole front clip from a gt with everything for under 1000 bucks, id say its a very illogical swap.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I agree with the above if the Cali rules are as he states. You will not pass inspections period.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 AM   #4

OK, I understand. Suppose I could get around the smog check and the insurance problem. Do you think it will be possible to do this?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

the only way to get around insurance is to "declare" your modifications. which will raise your insurance

the only way to get around emissions is to bribe someone, or drive a car made before 1974 (pre-emissions vehicles)

if you want a gt in cali, just sell your rolling chassis, and buy a gt, it'll be much cheaper, you won't have to worry about emissions or insurance hassles. if you want to be different and have a gt eating v6, hang around here for a while, there's lots of good information

so in short, no, it's not possible to do a v8 swap in cali
Old 11-09-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Items you'll need, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Motor - $2000
Tranny - $1000
Rear end - $600
ECU - $250
motor mounts - $200
motor accessories - $500
k-member - $250
instrument cluster (revs and speedo will be off otherwise) - $200 with sending units
Exhaust -- headers back - $600

Right there you're looking at around $5600 to do everything. And I know I'm forgetting quite a bit of stuff. It has been done, but if you're gonna do it, I would make sure you have a great parts connection or else, you're gonna be paying a lot.

If you HAVE to have a V8, it would probably be cheaper to go 5.0 since the aftermarket is so large for that engine, you can find stock parts cheap
Old 11-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

for the above price of $5,600 you can buy a fully built motor from supersix or throw together a 4.2 stroker from Redline Performance and be making same or more power then a GT... don't have to deal with insurance or smog issues, less hastle of finding parts, choose from new or refurb parts, and it'll be a bad *** sleeper.
I'm not trying to lead you in a direction you don't want to go, but there are several legal and much easier options available to make more power.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/P...005catrev3.pdf
http://rpm-mustangs.com/cart/home.php?cat=281

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #8

Cool Re: Engine swap 3.8L to 4.6L NEED HELP!!!!

Ok! thanks guys for knocking some sense into me I truly appreciate your help. I think I will be patient and may be aquire a GT or simply zup up my v6. Any more ideas on how I can increase Horsepower on this 3.8? I will appreciate your help with this too. You guys are good. Thanks again
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Items you'll need, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Motor - $2000
Tranny - $1000
Rear end - $600
ECU - $250
motor mounts - $200
motor accessories - $500
k-member - $250
instrument cluster (revs and speedo will be off otherwise) - $200 with sending units
Exhaust -- headers back - $600

Right there you're looking at around $5600 to do everything. And I know I'm forgetting quite a bit of stuff. It has been done, but if you're gonna do it, I would make sure you have a great parts connection or else, you're gonna be paying a lot.

If you HAVE to have a V8, it would probably be cheaper to go 5.0 since the aftermarket is so large for that engine, you can find stock parts cheap
and thats 5600 bucks and youre still just a stock gt, which isnt much to gloat about. and then on top of that all those other things to worry about. i could think of better ways to waste 6k. not worth it IMO. with that much money, id find a junkyard v6 motor and slap it in and get it running, and then get a fox 5.0 if you really need the v8, and modding the **** out of the fox and using the stang as a dd. cause what its gonna cost for a boring 4.6 into your 3.8, you could easily have a 12 second 5.0.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

for $5600 you could probably build something faster than 12 seconds!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:58 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

eh, maybe if all you were going to do is buy a car and mod it, but im saying with 5600 he can fix the v6, and still have lots left over for other avenues to follow. with 5600 i could get deep into 11's, it wouldnt be that good of a daily driver and prolly wouldnt be street legal(well, at least cali street legal). and dont make me elaborate, cause then ill get all worked up thinking about a cheap *** 11 second monster and i wont be able to sleep tonight.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

^haha, that happens to me when i think about modding my mustang... get worked up and can't sleep

lol
Old 11-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
not in cali you wont.

what happens come smog time when they go to smog a v6 and find 2 extra cylinders? your vin comes up as a 3.8v6 but the tech notices its a 4.6v8, he shuts the hood and tells you he cant touch the car. same with every other shop, unless you have a hookup.

and god forbid you wreck it, and insurance finds out they were insuring a 3.8 but is now a 4.6. theyll drop you, so you have to now pay for damages, and on top of that, they slap you with fraud. youre done.

for the price its gonna take to do the swap, you can build a 3.8 and supercharge it and laugh at gt's. unless you can find a whole front clip from a gt with everything for under 1000 bucks, id say its a very illogical swap.
all he has to do is swap with an engine that is as new or newer than his car, then get the car refereed by the dmv. if he has all smog stuff in oreder the dmv will give he car new smog specs, you take that to your insurance company and your fine
i have reseached this.
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #14

Where I live. Emissions is not a problem. we do not have them. However Insurance is the problem. Just list the mods to the insurance comp. and you're good to go. What I need to know is How much trouble am I looking at to put a 94 OBDI Police 4.6 in my 04 OBDII Mustang. I have the motor, the tranny, wiring and comp. to do the swap. I am concerned about the electrical compatibility. What will happen if I run an OBD I Comp on an OBD II system?

I rebuilt my 3.8 stock. Drove it 10k miles and it seized up. I do not want to deal with the V6 anymore. I have a V8 to run and would rather put it in the car. What will happen?
Crazy Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Insurance company is not gonna come pop your hood and say oh there is a 4.6 in here so we are not paying for damages. They won't even know as long as you don't make a fuss when they give you a payoff for a v6. Now if you can live with that then the insurance part isn't a issue. As far as smog goes.......find a hook up.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #16

Smog is not the issue here. I can cut to cats out completely and straight pipe the car if I wanted too and no one would think twice. I need to know if an OBD I comp will work on an OBD II system. I have all the parts to put the motor in with, but not ready to chance it unless I have some sort of clue what will happen.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

build the six from the block up...then twin turbo it....said and done 8k tops...you can push almost 600HP easy...dont forget to upgrade the rear end lol...that would be a youtube hit if not LOL...ur gonna have to lose the 7.5 and upgrade to 8.8....the down side is...your 6 willl NEVER sound like an 8....but if u get an H pipe w/long tube headers and flowmasters with 2.5 tips u can get close...and honeslty if u have a set of ssqv bovs on there no ones gonna be listening to ur exhaust
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

and i would liek to add is it just me or do we see one of these every other week LOL...AND IT NEVER HAPPENS LOL....we always talk them out of it....i was one of these PEOPLE LOL....i really wanted an 8 and still do but im just gonna get a foxbody 5.0....i suggest u do the same...doesnt have to be a fox....just sayin if u have a daily u can do however much work whenever u want on ur 8 project
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #19

I am ripping out the 6 because I cannot trust the 3.8. They're ****ty engines. Plus it's cheaper for me to swap it out with the 4.6. You say $8k tops to build a 6? No thank you. The 6 is a waste of cast iron and aluminum. I'm looking at $300 tops to put in an 8. I need to know if the OBD I comp will work in the OBD II car. Someone just answer this question for me. I think this is the third time I've asked about the OBD systems and no one will say yes or no hnestly. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

switching to obdII will be a mess........you seem as if ur hell bent on the 4.6....not sure what u mean by "police"....im guessing it came out of a crown vic?....ur gonna need to upgrade to 8.8 rear end too....its gonna be easier just to buy a GT by the time ur done.....but the experience you gain will be priceless so stick with it man...good luck brotha let is know what we can do....we love pics too lol

Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #21

Yes, the motor came out of a Crown vic. I picked the motor and trans for $150 for both. $75 a peice. I am very dissatisfied with the 3.8. I rebuilt the motor for $1,200 in Jan, 2010. Less than 6 months later it seized. Not sure what happened exactly, but know I will not spend that much money on a boat anchor of a motor. I modify mustangs all the time. I have an 88 coupe with an 86 T-bird interior, wiring, dual power seats, and digital dash. EVERYTHING out of a T-Bird. I can do this 4.6 swap with no problem. I just needed to know if the OBD I computer will work in my 04 OBD II. Other wise I will change the wiring and everything necessary to run the motor. Changing the rear end can be done in my sleep. I 've just never fooled with and OBD II system or a 4.6L before. Should be a fun swap.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

the fact u ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOur doiING MAKES ME FEEL better about this LOL....ur gonna have to change everything over for the obdII....88 coupe huh....nice choice....and 1200 to rebuild a v6 is reidicoulous.....i was gonna rebuild mine and saw how much it would cost and instead bout a 3.9 with 17k miles on it and a 12 month warranty for $600.....17k is almost a new engine...it runs and sounds great with no probelms...honeslty in my opinion after u crack an engine open for the first time its never the same...they say yea its suppose to run better but 9 out of 10 times something doesnt get measured right and POP...PICS MAN PICS...we need those...how many miles does this 4.6 have on it and whats ur plan far as mods

Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #23

OK. I have at least change the wirng, ign. and fuel system to the 98 model GT. Not a big deal. I can live with that. Just gotta find a donor car for the parts. If you look at my pics you can see the 88 coupe as it was a couple of years ago when I first got the car. I have more pics but have yet to get them up. Look at my 04 pics as well. You will see what happened to the 3.8 the first time it came a part. Since it died again this past friday Jun 25, I have not pulled the motor yet. After it seized I squirted trans fluid into the cylinders to help free up the motor and let it sit. Now it will spin but you can hear the rings scraping the cylinder walls. It's sickening.

Now another question. do you know if the 98 gt's had a digital odometer or elctro-mechanical odometer? I know it wasn't cable driven. I am trying to avoid swapping the gauges out at the moment. I'm not sure how many miles the Vic had on it. I have forgotten. I know it was over 128k.

What is a good brand for long tube headers without paying more than $400? Do they make off road H or X pipes for the 04 'Stangs? Other mods would be fuel pump, injectors, mass air meter, throttle body, cams, and some head work. I do not know much of anything about modular motors. I've never even tore one apart.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Hey guys, I'ma gonna pull out teh staff card and close this thread...it's pretty old.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang