ooooooook, so engine won't start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
ooooooook, so engine won't start

it was going like normal... I go to start it, the first cylinder pops like it's going to go, and then the entire thing dies... it won't turn over.. after doing some diagnostics, I found out, there is no fuel getting to the engine. Also, I can hear the fuel pump click on, when I turn the key to the on position, as well as turn off when I turn the key to off... so, thinking fuel pump... clogged fuel line, or the fuel filter is too full of crap. Again, there is no fuel getting to the engine... anyone have any other ideas?

also, it has 3/4 tank of gas.. and if it is the fuel pump, will a GT or Cobra fuel pump work?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq
Re: ooooooook, so engine won't start

try hitting the fuel reset button located in your trunk. it should be right over the left fender or in that left corner area. may not be the solution but worth the try. i had the same symptoms a while back....
A few months ago i went over a speed bump too fast and my car automatically shut the fuel off and made my car die, so i had to press the red button in the trunk and it started up again with no problems.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Just push the reset button on the driver side of the trunk beside the taillight. That's all it is.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

where is it located in the trunk.... besides driver's side by the tail-light

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 11-10-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

hold on let me get my camera.

oh yea it is right behind the tailight and not the fenderwell. ooops... been a while since i had to use it. You'll probably have to get the trunk lining out of the way so you can see it.
i have mine already removed but i hope these pics can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reset.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	11234   Click image for larger version

Name:	reset2.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	11235  

Click image for larger version

Name:	reset3.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	11236  

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
Old 11-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

There is a hole in the trunk lining to access the switch
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Just adjust your carborators <duh>

Old 11-11-2005, 02:54 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

crankwalk.............

wait this isnt a dsm forum.

dam dude you always having problems with that thing.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

your stang is mad at you for scaring away all females in your immediate vicinity

:yup:
Old 11-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

actually... I have met another girl up here... we're just friends, but she's hardcore cool. And yeah, I do have some problems with it.... but I've put crap loads of miles on it in not very long. (the girl is strawberry blond.. blue eyes, verrry cute, and verrry smart)

Old 11-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

did it crank??
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

SHE LIVES.... I went to push the reset button, it was already depressed, so I was getting worried/sad, but decided to try to start it up anyway... and it started sort of hard, like almost died, but then kicked right up. The exhaust smelled sort of funny, almost sweet. So I got some fuel injector cleaner and ran it through.... figured it couldn't hurt.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

someone off me... the car drove to the gas station over noon.... and after biology, I went to go home, the car started just fine... 20 seconds later, it idled pretty rough, sounded like it was tripping over itself... and then died, and wouldn't start again. I checked fuel pressure again, and it sprayed all over my hand... and then that too fizzled to nothing, and wouldn't come back. So my dad and I are thinking of taking it to the dealership

Old 11-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

lemon
Old 11-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #15
Regular

Region: Tennessee

When is the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

believe it or not, I was going to this weekend... and I guess I still am going to this weekend, lol.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
The exhaust smelled sort of funny, almost sweet.
headgasket

pull your spark plugs, youll probably have two that look brand new, while the rest look worn
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
headgasket

pull your spark plugs, youll probably have two that look brand new, while the rest look worn
what would that mean exactly? wouldnt you have a lot more symptoms if he blew a head gasket, like power loss and burning coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

if the headgasket were the problem, wouldn't I have fuel getting to the engine? I have zero fuel getting to the engine... plus, if it were that, I'd have the problem consistantly... which would mean I couldn't have driven to the gas station between the times where it wouldn't start.... my buddy is replacing the fuel filter later on today, and hopefully that solves the problem... maybe I should take pictures, and then we can do a how to on how to replace the fuel filter.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #20
Road Trip!

youve never had a headgasket fail have you?

it can be as minor as some hard starting and rough running, or as severe as gushing coolant out your exhaust

my fathers car was hard to start, and would stumble every so often, smelled sweet out the exhaust, but no symptoms otherwise, then one day, we were coming home from advance auto, and the car started bucking and acting up, looked out the mirror, a nice cloud of smoke

trust me, at least pull the plugs rather than coming up with excuses, thats a quick way to find the problem, id even run a compression test

also, how are you sure you arnt getting fuel to the engine? a fuel filter has a spring loaded bypass, that if the filter gets clogged, there is a spring loaded piston inside that will open up, and bypass the filter element
Old 11-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonarcher
what would that mean exactly? wouldnt you have a lot more symptoms if he blew a head gasket, like power loss and burning coolant?
basically, by looking at the plugs, you can tell a lot, usually if theres any amount of coolant getting into the combustion chambers, it will clean the plugs spotless, coolant doesnt combust, so when the fuel does, it makes the coolant become a superheated mist that steam cleans the plugs, and theyll look spotless
Old 11-13-2005, 12:08 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

^ yea what he said. do the compression test and a leak down test to be safe. it's easy to do and will take only minutes if you have the tools, if not then a shop shouldn't charge much for doing it. I dont' know what they charge now days cuz i've only done it at school and it's really easy.

make sure your battery is good when you have the compression test done because if it's weak it can give you an inaccurate reading.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #23
Road Trip!

it wont give an inaccurate reading, itll just struggle to really give a ready and turn the engine over
Old 11-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, there's a fuel valve at the end of the fuel lines on top of the cylinders, and with the key in "on", there is zero fuel coming out of it... and yes, I'm sure it's the right valve... it smells like gas, and after the one time it did work.... after it died, I pushed it, and fuel came out, but there was no pressure behind that fuel... so it fizzled to nothing. That's how I know there's no fuel getting to the engine.

As far as smoke coming out from say coolant, the exhaust only had a funny odor, no funny look to it. Also, we did a bunch of stuff yesterday, and the fuel filter REALLY needed changing... it was very hard to blow through, and if you inverted it the opposite direction fuel was supposed to flow, it flowed out brown granules, which would be a bad thing I'm assuming . Then, we tried to see if the fuel pump were turning on again, and now, nothing. We compared the sounds mine makes when it gets turned to "on", to the sound his Roush makes... basically just listening for fuel pump, and there's no sound coming from my tank what-so-ever. So he has an extra GT fuel pump that we've taken out of the gas tank, and would've made the swap yesterday, but it started to rain. So I'll let you guys know what happened with it tomorrow, which is when his next chance to swap is.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

it was the fuel pump. I now have a new fuel filter as well as fuel pump, and yeah, you can tell a difference in pick up... I'm sure the engine getting gas easier makes a decent difference.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang