gears/t-lok...or TB? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Angry gears/t-lok...or TB?

im trying to find out what to do next after i install my SCT chip w/ tunes...
i was thinking throttle body (65mm) and a guy from AM said i would def. feel a difference even without major upgrade components(only have CAI and dual exhaust) so i was goin to do that. but would new gears and t-lok be more beneficial than the TB? if so im guessing i would need 4.10 gears and what type of t-lok would yall recommend? also im not sure how much the gears and tlok cost...around $400 would be the best bet for me getting them.

the guy from AM talked about how i should get anywhere from 15-20HP from the BBK TB knowing i only had pipes and a CAI, but some people on here tell me that i wouldnt get that much HP, might even lose some?

which would be better, TB or Gears/t-lok? upsides and downsides of each?

i dont see how buying the TB wouldnt help, when i have the parts i have. but im not expert so i need your help thanks
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: gears/t-lok...or TB?

410s will not give u any extra HP which I'm sure u probably already know but they will give you some seat of the pants HP. They will get you into the power band faster.........I say gears.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

also i meant to add.... what type of T-lok should i be looking at getting with 4.10gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Gear and t-lok, or an 8.8 rear end swap if you can find one.

Throttle body is pointless.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ok. well if i get gearsand t-lok...which i plan to.. do i have to get the 8.8 rear end swap, if i dont, but i need it... how long could i go without it?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

If you buy gears and a locker for your rear end now (a 7.5" unit) they will not transfer into a stronger 8.8" unit.

Also, look to spend about $500 in parts and $400 in install labor to have gears and a locker properly installed. Whomever you have do it, have them give you a warranty in writing to cover against improper installation and wear on the gear set. If they are not set correctly for back lash and fit they will drive you up the wall and it will lower the life of the set as well.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
Gear and t-lok, or an 8.8 rear end swap if you can find one.

Throttle body is pointless.
+1

What type of Mustang do you have? If it's a manual than 3.73 gears is the norm, if it's an auto than 4.10 is the norm to go. Of course this isn't set in stone. If you want a more kick in the pants go with a steeper (higher) gear ratio, e.g. 3.73 -> 4.10 or 4.10 -> 4.60.

Now if your car is a V6 than your rear end is 7.5" and they tend to go out after some heavy modification. The Ford 8.8" is a huge upgrade over the 7.5" and will withstand most of what you will be able to throw at it. The 8.8" is found stock on all GTs. The T-Lok allows both wheels to rotate so no more "one wheel burnouts" which is also stock on the GT.

The rear end swap is a usually a better deal since you can get the 8.8" off a GT in a scrap yard for cheap with the T-Lok, either have aftermarket gears on it or buy new ones and install them while the axle is off the car. The whole rear end is a direct swap and usually easy for the home mechanic to do (as long as you don't mind working on your back and being a little cramped).

While it's not a rule, some shops may offer a cheaper price this way (separate 8.8") since they do not have to pull a car into the shop, disconnect the axle... basically do as much work as they would have been able to do.

You will want to go to a reputable shop or dare I even say a Ford dealer! Ask around or go to a shop that involves itself in performance (that has good reviews). The shop may cost a little more but you will want to make sure they offer a warranty on their install. Gears can be a very pain staking install to get just right. Even if the gears are off just a bit it can cause unwanted whines, sounds and vibrations. This is why you'll want a shop that backs up their work so if there is a problem (or two) they will take care of it for you with no problems from the shop.

As for price expect to pay a bit more than one you have for the install. It's hard to give an exact estimate since prices can vary so much. Best bet is to call the other shops to get an estimate.

FYI FRPP and Motive gears are considered the best brands.

For more information on gears and shameless self promotion
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t158093/
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

soo confused..on AM im looking at gears and tlok for v6 mustangs..7.5".. but i CAN put an 8.8" rear end on my car.. and then buy the 8.8" parts to fit?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yes, you can buy 8.8" specific gears for the 8.8" rearend.

You can install taller gears and a limited slip tlok into your 7.5" rearend. If you plan on supercharging the engine, or building the engine, it would be worth it to get an 8.8" rearend.

The 8.8inch rearend will have everything in it already. 8.8" gears and the 8.8" tlok. However, if you buy a used 8.8" rearend, and depending on the condition of the gears/tlok, you may want to buy a bearing rebuild kit and a tlok rebuild kit. This will make the used parts like new, not to mention stronger.

7.5" parts will not fit into an 8.8" rear, vice versa.

If you plan on doing anything with the drivetrain, I would do that first, then get a tune. You're going to need the tune to recalibrate your speedometer and ecu after the gear change. There's no sense on tuning the car and then retuning it after drivetrain work.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

this shows i know nothing close to what i thought i knew about cars. SO. if i were to buy the 8.8 rear end... that already has the gears and tlok im looking for, and they will fit into my car?but they might not be in perfect condition? or do i still need to buy gears and tlok?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The 8.8" rear will basically bolt right up if I remember correctly. It has 3.27 gears in it, and the stock Ford tlok. I would upgrade the gears, since that's really the whole point anyways...only now, you're buying taller gears that fit an 8.8" rearend. So basically, plan on buying new gears for the 8.8" rearend.

The tlok is a tricky subject...you can buy a rebuild kit, as I said before...it will replace and upgrade the internals of the tlok. It will basically be as strong as the tloks used in the cobras. If the tlok is in bad condition (basically coming out of a high mileage car) I would consider replacing the unit all together.

This is all based off where you get the 8.8" rearend from. If it's from a used or wrecked v8 car, you may have to replace parts. If it's a takeoff 8.8" rearend (basically taken off a new car with very few miles on it) nothing will be worn out, you'd just have to put in taller gears if you wanted to.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

so just to recap.. get th 8.8 rear, possibly going to have to rebuild tlok, and add 4.10 gears to fit the 8.8
Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, that's pretty much it. I'm sure it If I missed something one of the guys will say...they're all pretty good here.

With the 8.8" rearend you will be set (drivetrain) wise if you ever decide to build up your engine or add forced induction (supercharger, turbo).

Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

but the 8.8 rear end itself with the 4.10 gear and tlok is an upgrade in itself without turbo or a supercharger correct? power and torque wise i guess
Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well, you won't necessarily gain any hp or tq...but the difference you will feel will make you think you gained some. Your car will accelerate quicker and have gained more traction. Your car won't feel sluggish or laggy when accelerating, it will be quick and peppy. For the best results, getting a good tune after installing the 8.8" rearend will really make your car move.

Upgrading your rearend like this is probably the most effective mod next to forced induction or building your engine.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

could you possibly explain to me what a tune is? im getting tunes with... SCT Mustang Performance Chips at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! ... but idk what the deal is with them. i will def have the chip before i have the 8.8 rear, so im just completely lost.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Alright don't get the sct chip get the sct tuner because to get new tunes the chip needs sent it the tuner gets the tun through email. Basically if you get gears and a t-lock and have a tune done which will make your tranny shift alot quicker it will make it feel like a completely different car.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

oh so i could get the tuner instead? i thought if i got 1 then i had to get the other but you CAN just buy the tuner alone?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I'm not sure what you mean but decide if you want the bigger rear end or not then no matter what you do get a tuner like the sct xcal3 MAKE SURE ITS A CUSTOM TUNER.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yah, chips really are a thing of the past...they aren't convenient because you can't just plug them in and change your current setup like the handheld tuners. I'd look into a custom tune, one where you can specify what settings you want.

A tune will basically alter the stock settings within the ECU. These settings were set from the factory. A tune will basically change the settings for the better.

I'd contact Justin at VMP Tuning. He does amazing tunes for the v6's. I haven't heard anything about the custom tuning from American Muscle, but I would imagine one from them wouldn't be terrible.

Just DO NOT buy the pre-loaded tunes. This a handheld tuner (SCT or Diablo) already pre-programmed with a 3 set tunes for you to put into your car. They are not that great and aren't customized for your car.

Given your situation, the handheld tuner with 3 custom tunes of your choice would be the best thing. This way you can order a new tune after you have the 8.8" rear installed. I don't think a dyno tune would be worth the hassle given your mods. A custom handheld tune would be more sensible with bolt ons. Once you start doing heads, cams, superchargers, all that stuff, then a dyno tune would be effective.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

ok awesome... on another v6 forum, i also asked about the 4.10 gears and t-lok and if i should get the 8.8rear swap with that... they said "Are you planning on putting more than 400hp on your car? If not then dont bother and stick with the lighter weight 7.5"... can i get 4.10gears and tlok, put on my stock rear and be fine if i dont plan on going into superchargers etc... but i would be looking into simpler(cheaper) things like heads, tbs, intake manifolds etc
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I was thinking about that earlier. If you don't plan on doing anything much more than bolt ons and a tune, upgraded gears and a tlok in your stock 7.5" would be fine. It's just that once you start doing larger upgrades like that, you get the itch for bigger hp/tq improvements, such as superchargers or engine work. Then you'd want the larger rearend. But if you're confident you're just going do bolt ons, then the 7.5" will do.

In this case, you'll need to get gears specifically for the 7.5" rearend. You currently have an open differential, one that only lets the passenger side rear wheel spin. You'll want to upgrade to a 7.5" limited slip tlok as well. This will allow both wheels to spin = better launches, traction/grip, and two wheel burnouts

FRRP (Ford racing) is probably the best brand for gears and tlok. This way, if you have them installed at a Ford dealership, the dealership will (should) warranty the work done.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

a tune from a good tuner will do wonders vs a worthless throttle body
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

this might be a dumb question, but is there a site for FRRP parts? or are the gears and tlok from AMjust fine? or same thing...
Old 12-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

well ford racing outsourced their gears to motive so if you can get some from back when ford made them you are fine but motives are known to have gear whine just fyi when searching.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

and sonic or anyone, could you send me a link to the tuner you think would best suit me? i dont want to mess this up hah

maybe--

tuner: http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x3...ash-tuner.html

gears : http://www.americanmuscle.com/v6gears.html

tlok: http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-28spline-75-lsd.html
Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a link to VMP's tuning page. If you have any questions about it, call and talk to Justin, he does the great tunes for v6's.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: SCT Tuning Ford

I think these gears at Stangmods are FRPP:

4.10 V6 Mustang Ford Gears for 7.5" Rear Axle

http://www.stangmods.com/4-10-Ford-R...rs-p/00349.htm

Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

oo ill oneup that, same site... http://www.stangmods.com/V6-Mustang-...ge-p/00330.htm

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: Custom Tuned SCT X3 Flash Tuner for Ford Vehicle from VMP
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Spector - I thought Motive Performance was actually a good brand, I thought it was of two which haven't been known to whine?

As for FRPP you can go to Ford Racing: Home and www.FordRacingParts.com. Their products should be listed on those sites (FordRacing.com should become FordRacingParts.com when you click on the previous' store link).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Motives are fine, if they are set up correctly they don't whine.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

i think my last post with the tuner and gear package is what im looking to get, unless any objections
Old 12-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

That's a good package...it has everything you need for the install. That and a few custom tunes from VMP tuning and your car will move pretty damn good

Old 12-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyeah
Old 12-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

hey black on black, im not trying to mess you up here, even though sonic and orisis always give awsome advice! like they are always on point!

butttttttt i swear you can buy the 8.8 rear end for your car, pre assembled with the tlok and the 4:10 gears. all you gota do is bolt it up. and you good! ill look for it for you.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

^^^there are tons of takeoff 05+ 8.8" rearends out there for $600-800 with the taller gears which are basically new...I haven't seen too many new 99-04 8.8" rearends around.
If you do find one, definitely post it up...be good to know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang