what woould i need - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to powerhungry966
what woould i need

what would i need for a full on conversion to 4.10 gears? (auto 7.5) do i need 23 tooth crap, speed calibrator, some tuner (if so what)? im just dont know.. see mustangtuing has kits where it has different things.. all i know is i want 4.10 gears plain jane just working correctly.. i know i posted couple threads down i just decided to readdress my question more direct.

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
powerhungry966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: what woould i need

Do you have a 5 speed or automatic. And I would also recommend buying a t-lok when and installing it when you have the gears installed. You will notice a difference.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhungry966
what would i need for a full on conversion to 4.10 gears? (auto 7.5) do i need 23 tooth crap, speed calibrator, some tuner (if so what)? im just dont know.. see mustangtuing has kits where it has different things.. all i know is i want 4.10 gears plain jane just working correctly.. i know i posted couple threads down i just decided to readdress my question more direct.
i think a speedcal will work for you. (someone can verify that)

if you get the speecal, you won't need a tuner to correct the speedo/tach

or you can just get a tuner and have that fixed with some more stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

tuners wont fix pre99 stang speedo issues...

If you went with gears, just leave your stock speedo gear in there and get a speedcal. You might need a new bearing kit with the gears when they go in there... but usually if thats the case, the shop thats doing the install will put them in anyway (a good shop anyways)

All you need are the ring and pinion gears.
For correct speedo calibrations, just get the speedcal... its only like 89 bucks at brothersperformance.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

its very wasteful to install gears with out a tlok unit since the EXACT amount of work is needed so they wotn charge you anymore, or shouldnt.

You need the gears (get them from ford), tlok unit (from ford), and new bearings.

install will run 200-400 bucks depending on where you go, pay more for a better job ALWAYS going cheap may mean you have to do it all over again, cuz when a rear end fails its time to replace it all.... and if the gears are put in wrong then you will need a new set possibly... so even if its to much pay more for a quailty job and get a warranty aginst gear whine and stuff breaking in writing.

in the end you will have about 450-500 in items and anotehr 200-400 in labor (about what a new 8.8 rear end will run you for pre 99 mustangs if not more, but they dont have 4.10s stock, only 3.73 or 3.55)

for speedo... depending on yera and tranny you can get a speedcal unit (brent has one in his 96) the speedometer gear will NOT correct the speedo, you will still be off a good bit. The only way to fix it with a speedo gear is to pull the tranny and remove the gear on the drive train and also the speedo gear that goes in the side of the transmission.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:11 AM   #6
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

No need to buy brand new gears and tloks from ford... thats a waste of money. Get on ebay or email terry at midwest mustang (ped5stang@aol.com) and get some used gears. Terry will give you a used set of gears and tlok for like 220 shipped.

I like toys
Old 11-22-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

The speedcal works for every 3.8 up till 2004... manual or auto

05+ i dont know about

I like toys
Old 11-22-2005, 07:16 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I would never buy a set of used gears. Gears wear in a certain pattern, and if removed and re-installed, chances are you'll have lots of gear whine. Some may get lucky with used gears and not have this problem, but it's kind of a shot in the dark. Check out www.gefracing.com for a good price on new gears and t-lok.

You may decide you don't need the t-lok, but I would highly recommend it, especially with 4.10s. If you do decide on a t-lok, your best bet may be to look for a used 8.8 rear end with 4.10s already in it. Not only do you get the added strength of the 8.8, but you can also save a lot of money on the install if you have the tools to do it yourself.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:49 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

you could get lucky and check your local junkyard.. maybe someone has already tried this, and then crashed, you could save yourself a lot of $$, and chances are, their's was done right. If you're real lucky, they might have an 8.8" rear end. (I LOVE my GT rear end)

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Used gears are fine as long as theyre installed correctly... I had them for like 3 years in my v6 and there wasnt any whine.

I like toys
Old 11-22-2005, 09:19 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Even brand new gears will whine if not installed correctly. Used gears just amplify this risk. The fact is gears do wear in a certain pattern. I seriously doubt your installer will take the time to ensure that when they're put in your rear end that they will wear in the exact same way as they did in the old one. Why risk used gears when brand new ones are relatively cheap? Although, I will admit they're slightly more for a 7.5 than a 8.8 (I paid $155 for my 3.73s compared to $195 for a 7.5).

It's your choice whether or not you want to save a couple of bucks and take the chance of having to listen to badly whining gears every time you drive your car. The important part is to have them installed by someone who knows what they're doing and will take the time to shim the gears properly. Otherwise, they'll be howling no matter how much money you spent on new gears.

Scary stuff.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

if i were to just say F*k it and just get a 8.8 rear. would it be adviseable to buy a rearend from junk yards and or classified adds? because im looking into some serious power in the near future..
also, about gear whine.. is that normal?
Quote:
they'll be howling no matter how much money you spent on new gears.

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
Old 11-23-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

ok, gear whine isn't really normal... probably a bad thing, lol. If you're looking for some serious power, you don't want to stick with the 7.5.... 8.8 is where it's at. Depending on how much power, you may think of a 9". My 8.8 rear end came out of a ****ED Roush... and the rear was fine.... 100% fine. And I've put maybe 15,000 miles on it since getting it, and it's still doing great... and I don't have to worry about it breaking... even though I'm done modding for the most part... (saving for a Cobra).

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

I wouldn't say gear whine is "normal", but it is unfortunately pretty common. As long as you have them installed by someone who knows what they're doing and takes the time to do it correctly, it should not be a problem though.

Still, if you're planning on more power, an 8.8 is probably your best bet anyway. 8.8s are pretty reliable, so I wouldn't be afraid to buy one from a junkyard. As long as you change out the axle seals/bearings and pull off the differential cover to check for any abnormalities, you should be just fine. With a 96, you shouldn't have any problem finding one either because I believe you can use any Mustang 8.8 from 1979-1998 as long as you swap in your axles.

Just try looking around the various forum classifieds and you should be able to find one cheaper than putting gears and T-lok in the 7.5. To give you an idea, I sold an 8.8 with 4.10s to Brent for, I think, $225 and even helped put it in.

Scary stuff.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the replys guys.. very helpful

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

a chip would work really well after you get gears. somethin to think about for future mods.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #17
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas
a chip would work really well after you get gears. somethin to think about for future mods.
Ahhh speaking of a chip, youre going to want one after your install to remove the rev limiter otherwise youll be stuck with a max speed of 76mph unless you have a 98... those seem to not be affected as much.

I like toys
Old 12-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
The speedcal works for every 3.8 up till 2004... manual or auto

05+ i dont know about
no the speed cal wont work on 99+ autos
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
Ahhh speaking of a chip, youre going to want one after your install to remove the rev limiter otherwise youll be stuck with a max speed of 76mph unless you have a 98... those seem to not be affected as much.
if he gets a speed cal he wont top out at 76, it will adjust the speed of the car so that the car would top out just how it would beore at 118
STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #20
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232stang
if he gets a speed cal he wont top out at 76, it will adjust the speed of the car so that the car would top out just how it would beore at 118
thats not true... When I had my 4.10s in my 95 I had a speedcal and no chip and i was stuck at 76mph until the rev limiter was removed

I like toys
Old 12-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can argue all you want about used gears/tloks vs new gears/tloks... but in the end doing it right is the best way to go. Doing it right involves using new parts, not used.

It is a proven fact that gears wear into a given pattern when installed, when removed and placed into a new rear end you would have to do alot of work with checking the wear pattern and other such things to install them. The whine could still be there. It takes a trained tech to install gears correctly. Most just stick them in with the old shims... some only check the backlash and dont even change the crush sleeve... so who knows what you are getting into. I find it very hard to trust a good mechanic who will even install used gears/tlok on a car... (there are always circumstances... but from a performance side especially)

Why not spend a little bit more for the security of knowing what you are getting into. If you buy a used tlok and it breaks on you, guess what... you are out a complete rear end... which will cost you more in the end than simply buying a BRAND NEW 8.8 REAR END from ford...

How do I know this? I bought used gears... the tlok broke.... and I had to pay for new parts to do right what I should have done right to begin with..

Initial cost
Used gears/Tlok: 200 bucks
Installation: 170 bucks
Bearings/Seals: 60 bucks

wow... 430.00 not bad... but then....

After breaking and being with out a car for a week...

Truck fee to tow car: 60 bucks
Gear Price: 200 bucks
Tlok Price: 200 bucks
Install Fee: 170 bucks
Bearings/Seals: 60 Bucks

the cost to do it right after doing it wong to begin with... 1120.00..

I could have saved nearly 450 bucks by doing it right in the first place
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang