Help?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Help??

im gonna get 1000 for christmas, what should i do with it?
keep working on my v6 00. or
save to buy a 99-04 gt
(this is what i have on my v6 right now, CAI, true duals exhaust and bbk shorty headers) thats all i have.
thanks guys
will_0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Help??

drop 300- 500 on a tuner.......piss away the rest in a titty bar, and have a happy happy christmas! lawl!!!
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

^

Not that bad of an idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

LISTEM TO ME ON THIS ONE! BARGAIN SHOPPING WILL GET YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO SMOKE A GT! buy a diablo tuner or sct (i prefer diablo) shop for a good price! you should gte it under $300, then go on ebay...YES EBAY,,,and find a set of USED 373 gears with a tlok, make sure there form a actual distributer and not a ONE TIME SELLER, theres a huge difference in quality, the distributor will get you quality parts cause this is his business and what feeds his family and wants you to come back or spread the word, there are good business men on ebay! anyway FORD 373 gears with tlok, tlok is posi tract, you want both, i paid $180 for a set of used 373 w/ tlok off a ford ranger, $300 to get them installed! im telling you your v6 is a completely WAKEs UP, your acceleration will greatly improve! i keep saying 373 assuming you a have a manual, if you have a automatic 410 gears is what you want, gears allow you to meet you power quicker, they accuatlly dont add power, it feels like HE MAN is pushing your car between every gear! gears are the best mod you can buy besides supercharger or turbo! ask anyone, TUNER + GEARS T/LOK = MERRY CHRISTMAS if your like me and love that feeling after your driving your car with a new mod this will BLOW your mind! you will now be LITERALLY WALKING GTS, my v6 with just gears and tuner beat 5.0, supercharged impala, GT (all models)
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
LISTEM TO ME ON THIS ONE! BARGAIN SHOPPING WILL GET YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO SMOKE A GT! buy a diablo tuner or sct (i prefer diablo) shop for a good price! you should gte it under $300, then go on ebay...YES EBAY,,,and find a set of USED 373 gears with a tlok, make sure there form a actual distributer and not a ONE TIME SELLER, theres a huge difference in quality, the distributor will get you quality parts cause this is his business and what feeds his family and wants you to come back or spread the word, there are good business men on ebay! anyway FORD 373 gears with tlok, tlok is posi tract, you want both, i paid $180 for a set of used 373 w/ tlok off a ford ranger, $300 to get them installed! im telling you your v6 is a completely WAKEs UP, your acceleration will greatly improve! i keep saying 373 assuming you a have a manual, if you have a automatic 410 gears is what you want, gears allow you to meet you power quicker, they accuatlly dont add power, it feels like HE MAN is pushing your car between every gear! gears are the best mod you can buy besides supercharger or turbo! ask anyone, TUNER + GEARS T/LOK = MERRY CHRISTMAS if your like me and love that feeling after your driving your car with a new mod this will BLOW your mind! you will now be LITERALLY WALKING GTS, my v6 with just gears and tuner beat 5.0, supercharged impala, GT (all models)
Please remind him that you are also runnin a vortech and port & polished and looks like NOS from ur pics......dont want to get his hopes up to high with gears and a tune.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont buy a 99-04 gt, only 260hp stock and takes some money to get them up and the stock block lets go around 450rwhp~

Gears/tlok tuner are good mods for your car
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Regular
Supporter

^^^ very true.Plan ahead,figure out what the goal for the car is.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

nitrous, 3.73 gears and t-lok. and your smoking that gt your wanting to buy. u have my word on that.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_K View Post
nitrous, 3.73 gears and t-lok. and your smoking that gt your wanting to buy. u have my word on that.
Throw that NOS,gears on a GT......
Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Don't need to, just add a tune to the GT and then the gears/tune on that V6 will no longer be "walking" the gt.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Don't need to, just add a tune to the GT and then the gears/tune on that V6 will no longer be "walking" the gt.
Very true.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

gears/tlok. 1000 isntmuch a start for buying a gt. cheaper ones ($16000) usually have over 50000miles..i was lookin for one.. . gears tlok, tuner
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
you mite need a lil more than that tune against a geared nitroused v6. lol

tunes on v6's are weak anyways. lot more power can obviously be pulled on a tune in a gt.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
you mite need a lil more than that tune against a geared nitroused v6. lol

tunes on v6's are weak anyways. lot more power can obviously be pulled on a tune in a gt.
I was mainly refering to the other post that said gears and tune will walk gts. However, I would gladly put up a tuned gt vs a juiced v6 any day of the week. Best out of 10 races.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
Regular
Supporter

^^ agreed
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was mainly refering to the other post that said gears and tune will walk gts. However, I would gladly put up a tuned gt vs a juiced v6 any day of the week. Best out of 10 races.
ohh my bad. lol i just saw where that "walking gt's post" was. yeah he prolly could have if the gt was 94-98 4.6 sohc/ 5.0 gt and near stock, but def. not new edge and 05-present.

what's your definition of tuned? lol seems we might have different definitions.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #17

alright so im gonna keep working on my car then i will try save to buy a gt 05-08 how does that sounds?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
ohh my bad. lol i just saw where that "walking gt's post" was. yeah he prolly could have if the gt was 94-98 4.6 sohc/ 5.0 gt and near stock, but def. not new edge and 05-present.

what's your definition of tuned? lol seems we might have different definitions.

Tuned is the installation of a custom tune.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

custom tune means the ECU is modified so the parameters it runs are different (less conservative for example) to boost more power from the engine.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post

Eeeeasy buddy

What if this GT he comes across also has 3.73s and an off the shelf tune?

And I'm iffy on your SC'd impala deal.. My regal (same drivetrain/weight) runs low 13s@105 :pnoid:

I vote for the 'save up' fund, put $500 into a savings account with a decent yield, or a one year CD with a decent yield (or savings bonds if you want to wait 10+ years for your investment to double)

Put the 500 towards something else..

OR save the entire 1k towards a GT

You can find great deals out there, I got mine with a few minor issues (already fixed for less than $50) for $4k.. 58k miles
Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
dont buy a 99-04 gt, only 260hp stock and takes some money to get them up and the stock block lets go around 450rwhp~

Gears/tlok tuner are good mods for your car
Doesn't mean the GT can't be more fun..

Typically different tires, suspension, steering - Torque is always nice

Yeah the 1999-2004 GT isn't the fastest, but it does have potential, and it beats the hell out of the 96-98

And plenty of upgrade options for when you hit that 450 WHP ceiling (which is a LOT for the street, anyway.. and even in a fox body would cost a decent amount of $)

As for nitrous.. Momentary power? No thanks!

The fox mention brings up another point, clean fox bodies can still be found - and 5.0s are a blast
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea, its always possible to find someone faster, there is no answer thats "one size fits all". The best advice is to research and really sit back and think about what you want rather than throwing parts (money) onto your vehicle and then realizing its not going to get you where you want to end up.

Modding a car even though you aspire to have something different is fine, but know the limit. Dont spend thousands just to lose it when you sell as mods do not add value, if anything they take away from it.

So its simple, research to make sure you know what you are getting into and what you want then know your goals and how to reach them in the best way so you dont waste time/money... thats about it.

V6's can be very fast, ive owned two but... no matter what it was still a v6 to me and I wanted an 03/04 cobra. Sure they are not super fast just respectable but its all I care for~ I dont drag race and I dont have anything to prove to anyone so its just about what I wanted.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tuned is the installation of a custom tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
custom tune means the ECU is modified so the parameters it runs are different (less conservative for example) to boost more power from the engine.
ok, just making sure we are on the same page. lol
gt's period, no matter the year are mediocre to me.Here in florida gt's and mach1's are plentiful almost as bad as civics and 240's, and a majority of them are driven by (no offense) older women. if u like gt's great. lol i don't. which i s why i'm holding out like Mr. SpectorV did. i plan on having an 04 cobra by next summer and still keeping the stang i have now. will the cobra stay stock, idk yet. judging by past cars. i doubt it.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Just the tunner alone on my v6 04 made a dramatic difference. Able to control almost all aspects of the car really helps. My next step is gears and t lok.... Of course when I can save the money to do so lol. Times are tough.
CAI with turbonator, Blk Cobra Rims(17x9frt, 10.5r), Plate BLKNES, Internal+external blue neons w/music interface, Blk MUSTANG letters r.bumper, Alpine Flip Out deck,(4 Rockford Fosgate 120RMS speakers, 4 way RF 600RMS Amp, 12" Audiopipe Sub 600RMS w/custom box, Mono Kicker 600RMS amp, kept mach tweeters), Blk Grille Mustang, Halo Headlights w/10K bulbs, SCT 9600, flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon to come; Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 gears with TLOK.
Blkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok, just making sure we are on the same page. lol
gt's period, no matter the year are mediocre to me.Here in florida gt's and mach1's are plentiful almost as bad as civics and 240's, and a majority of them are driven by (no offense) older women. if u like gt's great. lol i don't. which i s why i'm holding out like Mr. SpectorV did. i plan on having an 04 cobra by next summer and still keeping the stang i have now. will the cobra stay stock, idk yet. judging by past cars. i doubt it.

+1.. That's why I didn't buy a gt. I see all these old men and women. Besides my tuned 6 can be very competitive with those stock gt's
CAI with turbonator, Blk Cobra Rims(17x9frt, 10.5r), Plate BLKNES, Internal+external blue neons w/music interface, Blk MUSTANG letters r.bumper, Alpine Flip Out deck,(4 Rockford Fosgate 120RMS speakers, 4 way RF 600RMS Amp, 12" Audiopipe Sub 600RMS w/custom box, Mono Kicker 600RMS amp, kept mach tweeters), Blk Grille Mustang, Halo Headlights w/10K bulbs, SCT 9600, flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon to come; Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 gears with TLOK.
Blkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkness View Post
+1.. That's why I didn't buy a gt. I see all these old men and women. Besides my tuned 6 can be very competitive with those stock gt's
That argument about old guys/gals driving the cars = a good thing in my book. I drive a buick, too

Sleeper factor is great

Older is wiser, ever hear that saying?

I don't drive it to be the 'most hip' or the fastest, I drive it to have fun, surprise people now and again, and just enjoy driving in general..

While a cobra would be nice, I'll make do just fine with my whimpy lil GT
Old 12-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #27
Regular
Supporter

Any car can be killer.......never 2nd guess a GT. You could pull up next to one and get smoked,never judge a book by its cover.........youngin.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
never judge a book by its cover.........youngin.
Dot
Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

I was in the same position as you... split between a V8 trans or droppin money in my 6. Decided on the mustang, just installed my cai today, cant wait for the mods Im goin to put on it. Hope this helps you make ur decision.
jwalthersoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #30

i think im just gonna buy a tuner, cuz the installation for the gears is F(_)C!% expensive.
500-600 just for the installation
Old 12-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you were local, we could knock out the install in less than a day

Try getting quotes around, should be ~4 hours labor at a competitive shop, that shouldn't be 500-600 unless their labor rates are through the roof
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any car can be killer.......never 2nd guess a GT. You could pull up next to one and get smoked,never judge a book by its cover.........youngin.
don't judge any cars by its cover, i know some guys who dump @ most 2 g's in their lil civics and smoke gt's! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
That argument about old guys/gals driving the cars = a good thing in my book. I drive a buick, too

Sleeper factor is great

Older is wiser, ever hear that saying?

I don't drive it to be the 'most hip' or the fastest, I drive it to have fun, surprise people now and again, and just enjoy driving in general..

While a cobra would be nice, I'll make do just fine with my whimpy lil GT
yes i have and very well understand that statement. i didn't get this far by myself.thanks to dad's abundant knowledge of cars he's guided me on the best bang for the buck mods on my stang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkness View Post
and with a little giggle juice you can beat some modded gt's! lol

Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #33
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
and with a little giggle juice you can beat some modded gt's! lol
Maybe the first couple of times, but that bottle is going to run out eventually and the GT won't. ... unless of course it is a spontaneous race in which case you won't have time to hook up the bottle and open it up and switch tunes...unless of course you cruise around with the bottle hooked up and open with your nitrous tune in the car 100% of the time.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe the first couple of times, but that bottle is going to run out eventually and the GT won't.
lol. truth

Old 12-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_0828 View Post
im gonna get 1000 for christmas, what should i do with it?
keep working on my v6 00. or
save to buy a 99-04 gt
(this is what i have on my v6 right now, CAI, true duals exhaust and bbk shorty headers) thats all i have.
thanks guys
what did you decide?
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang