Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Motor clicking when 1st started...

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mjcorn23 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 99 3.8L Mustang with very few performance upgrades (Tornado and K&N Air Filter and it may have been reprogramed by the previous owner). For about 6 months now, when I first start my car, the motor makes a clicking noise. It usually stops after about 5 minutes of driving. You can't hear it when I idle in park but if I rev it, you can faintly hear it. When I shift it into drive, it is pretty loud at idle and gets louder the more I rev it. What could be causing this? I have been told it could be a rocker arm or an exhaust leak, but the mechanic at the local Ford dealership has no idea what it could be. The car has about 80k miles on it and the clicking may or may not be affecting performance, I'm really not sure if it is... If anyone has ANY information or ideas, please tell me cause it's really getting on my nerves. Thanks for the help...

#2 ·
RuddFan said:
Hi, I have a 99 3.8L Mustang with very few performance upgrades (Tornado and K&N Air Filter and it may have been reprogramed by the previous owner). For about 6 months now, when I first start my car, the motor makes a clicking noise. It usually stops after about 5 minutes of driving. You can't hear it when I idle in park but if I rev it, you can faintly hear it. When I shift it into drive, it is pretty loud at idle and gets louder the more I rev it. What could be causing this? I have been told it could be a rocker arm or an exhaust leak, but the mechanic at the local Ford dealership has no idea what it could be. The car has about 80k miles on it and the clicking may or may not be affecting performance, I'm really not sure if it is... If anyone has ANY information or ideas, please tell me cause it's really getting on my nerves. Thanks for the help...
It is your EGR

You should be throwing a code unless you have a chip.

#3 ·
Yea it's your egr. I had the same problem for a month or two so I just replaced mine. I have emissions in my state so I had to, you can completely delete it with a kit from I think RDmotorsport.com. Then youll have to shut it off with a chip.

Only delete it if you don't have emissions in your area.

#4 ·
My drivetrain makes a noice when first started due to the lifters have no oil (thats how they are designed) and it stops after a few. You dont sound like its the same problem... but you can pop the hood and try to determine exactly where its at.. that may help us find out where to start for the best chances of fixing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.