T-5question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer
T-5question

i have a 94 v6 with a standard T-5 tranny./ is it 28 spline or 31 ????
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: T-5question

Input shaft is 10 spline, output shaft is 28 spline.

Looking to drop in an aluminum driveshaft?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, from AWD aerostar they are 28 sline and i think a 1/2 inch shorter or less so it will be perfect especially cause i'm lowered.
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post
yeah, from AWD aerostar they are 28 sline and i think a 1/2 inch shorter or less so it will be perfect especially cause i'm lowered.
if it is shorter how does it make it perfect? I am asking cause i am lowered and was looking at getting one and would like to get it cheaper at a junkyard and i am not very knowledgeable about transmissions
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_STEEDA View Post
if it is shorter how does it make it perfect? I am asking cause i am lowered and was looking at getting one and would like to get it cheaper at a junkyard and i am not very knowledgeable about transmissions
In theory, when you lower the car, the driveline angle is different, slip yoke will slide more into the transmission than usual/etc.. Can cause vibrations and such

Usually a pretty dramatic drop is needed to feel anything! (And definitely more noticeable on FWD cars with the cv axles) A shorter driveshaft wouldn't help the angle though.. The yoke would ride at a more typical spot, tough

I've never heard of anyone using an aerostar driveshaft on a stang! I'm curious to see if it would work out
Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^^^ yeah i want to know if it will work cause if it does i am going to the junkyard and getting one.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
Old 12-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

I have seen threads about this theory, and it is true. Definitely a budget priced aluminum driveshaft. IF i recall though, it should be about the same size.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

be thankful alum drive shafts are cheap for pre 05 cars, 05+ they are 700+ pre 05... much much less.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

interesting.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

going to get it tomorrrow.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

keep us posted!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

its the exact same length. just need to change the yoke out with mine, get it balanced, and it will be in the car
Old 12-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

what all parts are needed off the aerostar or for the installation? and what are the benefits from converting to the alum drive shaft? just weight loss?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

got the car on jack stands . but my girlfriend is dragging me to the family christmas eve eve dinner.. uodaate later
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
what all parts are needed off the aerostar or for the installation? and what are the benefits from converting to the alum drive shaft? just weight loss?
any updates sledge? and can someone help with my question^
Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
any updates sledge? and can someone help with my question^
yeah, sorry, an aluminum driveshaft reduces weight. but since its rotational weight it benefits you more. i think, I THINK, the equation is that every 1 lb lost in rotational weight is like losing 4lbs dead weight. so less weight, you do the math.

so i live right down street from junkyard so i am there all the time.

anyway the parts. if you dont want to spend a chunk of change to shorten a drive shaft make sure you get a drive shaft from an AWD areostar. its shorter then the 2wd and fits perfect under ponys. the 96 and 97 aerostar driveshaft will be a direct bolt on. rear yoke is same as stang. if there are no 96 or 97 AWD areostars then 95 an older will work but you have to swap your rear yoke with the areostars because the bustang bolts are 2.5 apart the old aerostars are 3.

tools needed: Jack, jack stands, breaker bar (a ratchet and short peice of pipe will do), 12point 13mm socket

as a note to who does this, its a good idea to have the u-joints replaced. not necesary but wont hurt.

hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

also this swap fixes the problem of the driftshaft rubbing the e-brake cables on lowered cars its smaller in diameter by a half in giving it a quarter inch more clearance which eliminates rub!!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

nice info
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

alright thanks for the write up and info. i have all the tools just need the alum. driveshaft now so i guess i will do some junkyard hunting lol, but i would rather hunt for something cheaper than spend $200 on the same thing.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
nice info
thanks, i try
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

how much was the driveshaft from the junk yard? my car isnt lowered or anything, so putting the 2 together i wouldnt need the shorter shaft. where, and how much would the joints cost me, with all the parts stores ive looked at, ive never seen any joints that i could buy.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6stang04 View Post
how much was the driveshaft from the junk yard? my car isnt lowered or anything, so putting the 2 together i wouldnt need the shorter shaft. where, and how much would the joints cost me, with all the parts stores ive looked at, ive never seen any joints that i could buy.
price varies from junk yard but most are under 15 for driveshaft and some charge like 5 for the yokes conected to it. i got mine for 11.95 for shaft and 4.50 for yoke. but any major parts store will have the u-joints. they are a very common part. napa charged me 21.95 for mine for one.

overall very cheap upgrade
Old 01-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

another cool tid bit of info is the stock drifeshaft weighs about 25lbs give or take a little, the areostar driveshaft weighs a minimal 15lbs give or take. 10 pounds LIGHTER!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

now how much would a new driveshaft cost, for the aluminum shaft anyway? and would the aerostar shaft fit mine as well, it is not lowered at all. but whenever i put it into drive the car kind of lowers down in the rear, idk if this is common, or if it is something that is a little strange. let me know.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

well i just called a few junk yards and apparently the aerostars are kind of hard to find. I found 2 places that AWD aerostars, and they are wanting $100 at one place and $140 at the other for the driveshaft and yoke. (I need the yoke cause they were year 94, as sledgehammer said the year 96-97 is direct replacement.)
Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

stupid question, what is the purpose of the yoke? would changing out the drive shaft be something you could do yourself, or would you wana take it to a shop?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_STEEDA,
well i just called a few junk yards and apparently the aerostars are kind of hard to find. I found 2 places that AWD aerostars, and they are wanting $100 at one place and $140 at the other for the driveshaft and yoke. (I need the yoke cause they were year 94, as sledgehammer said the year 96-97 is direct replacement.)
well its still worth it if you figure new aluminum driveshafts are up in the 4,5,and 600s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6stang04 View Post
stupid question, what is the purpose of the yoke? would changing out the drive shaft be something you could do yourself, or would you wana take it to a shop?
only stupid question is the one not asked. there are two yokes. and the yokes purpose is to conect the shaft to another part of the drivetrain. one yoke is the yoke that connects to the transmission it is like a short thick tube with splines (little slots) in it. the other yoke is the one that connects to the differential or the 3rd member using the (4) 12 point bolts. this is the yoke that needs to be swapped on the aerostar DS.

and if you have the tools i listed above then you can definatly do it yoursself. just be sure to clean the yoke you put into transmission, and coat it with some sort of oil or grease. just a light coat is need.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
do these junkyards pull the part for you or do you have to go in and pull it yourself? could make the biggest difference in the price cause then there is labor if they pull it.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
do these junkyards pull the part for you or do you have to go in and pull it yourself? could make the biggest difference in the price cause then there is labor if they pull it.
not sure i need to ask. I plan on getting the alum. driveshaft as soon as i save up a little more. so i will be calling back shortly to reserve one.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

i scrolled through so i hoping im not asking a stupied question did u get it on? and what year aerostar did u pull that from....this should really be broke down into a professional format and intsruction manual and stickied! even spector said "nice job"......thats like Jesus giving you a high five lol, im a christian that was not a hate joke (for legal purposes)
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well its still worth it if you figure new aluminum driveshafts are up in the 4,5,and 600s.

New alum D/S $245-$260

only stupid question is the one not asked. there are two yokes. and the yokes purpose is to conect the shaft to another part of the drivetrain. one yoke is the yoke that connects to the transmission it is like a short thick tube with splines (little slots) in it. the other yoke is the one that connects to the differential or the 3rd member using the (4) 12 point bolts. this is the yoke that needs to be swapped on the aerostar DS.

and if you have the tools i listed above then you can definatly do it yoursself. just be sure to clean the yoke you put into transmission, and coat it with some sort of oil or grease. just a light coat is need.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

New alum d/s $245-$265
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

went to Pull Apart today which is a salvage yard that has a lot of locations and is very cheap. The aluminum driveshaft is under $20 and i found an 91 awd aerostar to pull the alum. driveshaft off, but i could not get the dang bolts loose on the thing. any advice?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

12point socket. rachet craftsman or snap-on, all others will break. a tube for extra leverage and a pry bar to stick through the yoke till it catches bottom of carriage or suspension. its not easy. pb blaster helps to but not necesary. god luck. BTW my aaerostar DS is still on and STILL no probs. 99% satisfied. other 1% cuz it wasnt brand new ford racing but eh
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

This seems like a pretty easy/cool mod to do. Might have to do it after I lower the stang.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang