v6 exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #1

v6 exhaust

i was hoping to find an exhaust cat back that would make my 98 mustang sound more like a v8. i know that itll never actually sound like one. but i can try can't i? and i would like to make it louder. how about the flowmaster 40s?
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #2

Region: Texas
Re: v6 exhaust

they sound good on my v6 i have divorced pipes with flows and i can tell its loud, or you can try MAC longtube headers W/ H PIPE, and FLOWs I think thats louder than my here its a video of that set up its not mine i found on youtube I think that sound almost like a gt
\

will_0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

^^^ sounds really good.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

what do u guys think about custom pipes true duals all the way with slp loudmouth resonators and catback? would it be better to have a x or h pipe even with it being a v6?
CAI with turbonator, Blk Cobra Rims(17x9frt, 10.5r), Plate BLKNES, Internal+external blue neons w/music interface, Blk MUSTANG letters r.bumper, Alpine Flip Out deck,(4 Rockford Fosgate 120RMS speakers, 4 way RF 600RMS Amp, 12" Audiopipe Sub 600RMS w/custom box, Mono Kicker 600RMS amp, kept mach tweeters), Blk Grille Mustang, Halo Headlights w/10K bulbs, SCT 9600, flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon to come; Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 gears with TLOK.
Blkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Sounds like a plan....this is just my opinion but I wouldnt throw all that money into a sixer.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well we would get that sound we want and scare all other sixers around
CAI with turbonator, Blk Cobra Rims(17x9frt, 10.5r), Plate BLKNES, Internal+external blue neons w/music interface, Blk MUSTANG letters r.bumper, Alpine Flip Out deck,(4 Rockford Fosgate 120RMS speakers, 4 way RF 600RMS Amp, 12" Audiopipe Sub 600RMS w/custom box, Mono Kicker 600RMS amp, kept mach tweeters), Blk Grille Mustang, Halo Headlights w/10K bulbs, SCT 9600, flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon to come; Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 gears with TLOK.
Blkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkness View Post
what do u guys think about custom pipes true duals all the way with slp loudmouth resonators and catback? would it be better to have a x or h pipe even with it being a v6?
i've actually heard slp on a sixer personally, it honestly doesn't sound that great in my opinion, but if u want loud and obnoxious sound, slp is your company! and as far as the x and h pipe. its an evenfiring motor, so it will mostly set up a different tone rather than increase performance. but x-pipe are commonly used on sixers.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

flowmaster super 40s are nice, i have them. not as deep as the v8, just as high in pitch, nice little purr.
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
flowmaster super 40s are nice, i have them. not as deep as the v8, just as high in pitch, nice little purr.
+1, currently on mine!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I have stock 02 gt mufflers. It sounds pretty good cruizing but very quiet on the highway. It gets kinda loud at WOT & isn't raspy.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
i was hoping to find an exhaust cat back that would make my 98 mustang sound more like a v8. i know that itll never actually sound like one. but i can try can't i? and i would like to make it louder. how about the flowmaster 40s?

flowmasters, o/r H pipe, 2.5 tips! thats what i have and v8 guys always tell me how good my car sounds, it is possible ti make a v6 sound like a v8 at low rpms but around 4000 that 6 cylinder comes out lol, do NOT USE MAGNAFLOWS unless you wanna sound like a honda, goood luck bro
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it will never happen, the even fire of the v6 just cant compare to the odd fire of the v8. You can make it sound acceptable just not as good as a v8~ just the way it is with the v6 the mustang uses

I find the best exhaust to be a mellow tone GT take off. Its not super loud but its noticable. Up top this hides the horrible raspy buzz sound the v6 makes.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #13

My son is wanting to start upgrades to his '09 V6 mustang with a cat-back system. I'd post this in a '05- thread but wanted to get this group's input.

I've read that the interior droning noise is an issue with Pypes and some other brands.
He has pretty much the same desire: figure out which cat-back system provides a significant upgrade in sound (without disturbing the neighbors while driving normally) and is best at not causing the dreaded interior droning noise.
Money is an object, so we may not be buying the Borlas.

Please provide your choices>

We live near Beaumont, TX.
Thanks for any help!
quinnmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnmustang View Post
My son is wanting to start upgrades to his '09 V6 mustang with a cat-back system. I'd post this in a '05- thread but wanted to get this group's input.

I've read that the interior droning noise is an issue with Pypes and some other brands.
He has pretty much the same desire: figure out which cat-back system provides a significant upgrade in sound (without disturbing the neighbors while driving normally) and is best at not causing the dreaded interior droning noise.

Thanks for any help!
I'd look into the FRPP (Ford Racing) axle back mufflers. They are made by Borla but stamped with FRPP logos, so they're cheaper. I've heard good things about them on both v6's and v8's. Nice rumble down low, minimal drone when cruising at higher rpms.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00

i was geueltten pypes dual or magnaflow dont kno witch 1
Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00STANG00 View Post
i was geueltten pypes dual or magnaflow dont kno witch 1
Personally I'd go with Pypes over Magnaflow...I've heard too many v6's with magnaflows that sound ricey. They sound good on v8's, but not v6's to me.

There are tons of exhaust options out there...Pypes, Flowmaster, Borla, Bassani, Spintech, etc. It's really a personal preference.

If it were me, I'd stay away from Magnaflows on the six.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
personally i'd go with pypes over magnaflow...i've heard too many v6's with magnaflows that sound ricey. They sound good on v8's, but not v6's to me.

There are tons of exhaust options out there...pypes, flowmaster, borla, bassani, spintech, etc. It's really a personal preference.

If it were me, i'd stay away from magnaflows on the six.
amen.....muscles dont fart
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

haha no fart can here i hate that crap anyway
Old 12-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #19

i actually got a good deal on my duals. i got true duels with thrush welded mufflers for 225. i think they sound pretty B.A. or at least until you start revving real high. then they sound sorta like a lawnmower.haha
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnmustang View Post

Thanks for any help!
I have Flowmasters 40 series on my 00 stang. I had about the same limitations as you do. i was on a budget, wanted something that sounded nice but wouldnt wake up the neighbors or compete with my sound system. I think the flowmasters sound great, and its not loud inside while cruising.

dont know how close it is to you, but i live in McKinney TX.
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Any sort of chambered muffler is going to be your friend. You're wanting more deep than loud...just remember that.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
haha no fart can here i hate that crap anyway
AMEN LOL.....i have an import also but i refuse to put a fart can on, its a 3000gt and im gonna do a whole flowmaster set up, i bet its doesnt fart....whats funny is when those kids are proud of that and rev up like its sounds cool.....it sounds awful. when i messed up and put magnaflows on my exhaust cause i was lied to i had to ride around all week with it on and my car literally farted...i was soooo embarressed, theres a tasteful to make a car sound good even if it is a 4 banger or a 6!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
AMEN LOL.....i have an import also but i refuse to put a fart can on, its a 3000gt and im gonna do a whole flowmaster set up, i bet its doesnt fart....whats funny is when those kids are proud of that and rev up like its sounds cool.....it sounds awful. when i messed up and put magnaflows on my exhaust cause i was lied to i had to ride around all week with it on and my car literally farted...i was soooo embarressed, theres a tasteful to make a car sound good even if it is a 4 banger or a 6!
its mostly high school kids that put that crap on its loud but they go nowhere
Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Just raced a coworker tonight after work. He has a Pontiac idk looks like a grandma's car but anyways hes got a single big-*** glasspack on it and it sounds terrible.
BTW I killed him, raced from a dig and I burned out all through first cuz it was wet. We were even then with I caught I shot past him and was GONE! He was the one talkin crap too...
jwalthersoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
its mostly high school kids that put that crap on its loud but they go nowhere
Even worse when they have automatics!!
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Personally I'd go with Pypes over Magnaflow...I've heard too many v6's with magnaflows that sound ricey. They sound good on v8's, but not v6's to me.

There are tons of exhaust options out there...Pypes, Flowmaster, Borla, Bassani, Spintech, etc. It's really a personal preference.

If it were me, I'd stay away from Magnaflows on the six.
Pypes and Magnaflow are both about the same in how raspy they sound on the v6. Straight through design ftL (sound quality anyway)

Quote:
Flows on a 3000gt? Why would you do such a thing, there is a difference in a 101mm canister exhaust, and buying a system that has the huge tips.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
greddy needs to be your best friend for your 3000 gt. deep toned yet loud enough to let em know not to f**k with ya.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_K View Post
greddy needs to be your best friend for your 3000 gt. deep toned yet loud enough to let em know not to f**k with ya.
youtube the flowmasters on a 3000gt! man it sounds really good bro but ill be open to there ideas thanks for the advice man but look that up bro and see what i mean!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
Flows on a 3000gt? Why would you do such a thing, there is a difference in a 101mm canister exhaust, and buying a system that has the huge tips.
you always hatin on something go look up on youtube 3000gt flowmasters, it sounds good, not rice and not muslcish! i thought the samething at first so before i jumped to conculision and started saying how it soiunded dumb or whatever i went and checked it out, its really impressive!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

U got the vr4 3000 gt?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:06 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

nope but were in the process of a TT conversion, not hard a 3000 sl, its the 6g72 same engine as the vr4 just not turbod so you can pick all your parts up from a vr4 for around 1000 and they direct bolt on, gotta upgrade to bigger injectors is the furthest you go in the engine! why you a fan?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Ya was thinking of gettin one before I got my Stang. I didnt know that the sl was the same engine. : That would have been nice to know that the parts bolt on...
Old 01-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado

I went with the Flowmaster Super 44. It sounds great, especially after 3000 RPM's. It doesn't quite sound like a GT but it sounds darn good for a V6. I'm sticking with the single exhaust and going with the BBK Shorty Headers, that should really make my V6 growl.
Current Mods: SCT 4 Bank Chip, K&N CAI, 25% UDP, ZEX 75 Wet Shot, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Autolite XP Iridium Plugs, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, 3.73 Rear Gear, Ford Racing T-Lok, 18x9 Saleen Chrome Rims Front, 18x10 Saleen Chrome Rims Rear w/Nitto 555R Drag Radials (Track).
SonicBlueV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Talking Re: v6 exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlueV6 View Post
I went with the Flowmaster Super 44. It sounds great, especially after 3000 RPM's. It doesn't quite sound like a GT but it sounds darn good for a V6. I'm sticking with the single exhaust and going with the BBK Shorty Headers, that should really make my V6 growl.
go dual!

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
go dual!
+1 All mustangs should have dual exhaust...hell Ford is just now putting duals on v6 mustangs from the factory. But if you do want to stay with a single pipe, cut off the damn limp dick (if you haven't already). Nothing looks worse than that stupid rusted up tip under the bumper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust