WHAT YA THINK - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Arrow WHAT YA THINK

merry christmas gentlmen! last nite i noticed a slight knocking in the engine, mainly in 1st and 2nd gear, first THING IN MY HEAD is great ROD BEARINGS, well it dawned on me if it was that than it would be doing it when it was idling, well today it got worse kinda, just a low noise knocking my fiance cant even hear it, once again first and second gear, now i do have a blown dougnut gasket that need to be changed bad, im hoping its just that flapping, idk im not gonna have time to take a look till tomorrow afternoon just wanted to maybe hear some other idea before then to keep in the back of my mind, im also leaking oil like a MOFO, u ran around almost a week bone dry, i only drive 10 miles a day so i didnt really notice! anyway what ya think, bearings? gasket?....or something else
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG
Re: WHAT YA THINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
merry christmas gentlmen! last nite i noticed a slight knocking in the engine, mainly in 1st and 2nd gear, first THING IN MY HEAD is great ROD BEARINGS, well it dawned on me if it was that than it would be doing it when it was idling, well today it got worse kinda, just a low noise knocking my fiance cant even hear it, once again first and second gear, now i do have a blown dougnut gasket that need to be changed bad, im hoping its just that flapping, idk im not gonna have time to take a look till tomorrow afternoon just wanted to maybe hear some other idea before then to keep in the back of my mind, im also leaking oil like a MOFO, u ran around almost a week bone dry, i only drive 10 miles a day so i didnt really notice! anyway what ya think, bearings? gasket?....or something else
From what I gathered here: You ran around almost a week with no oil, and you have oil leaking. I'm going to say your rod bearing are paying you back for not oiling them. And soon they will make your crank suffer also, and then it gets fun. So best course of action here is to stop driving the car, and start tearing stuff down until you figure out the problem.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
From what I gathered here: You ran around almost a week with no oil, and you have oil leaking. I'm going to say your rod bearing are paying you back for not oiling them. And soon they will make your crank suffer also, and then it gets fun. So best course of action here is to stop driving the car, and start tearing stuff down until you figure out the problem.
+1, definitely gotta be rod bearings. good luck!

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

NOPE......LIFTERS LOL! this should be fun but not as hard as the rod bearings would have been! and the oil leak is coming from a blown head gaskets! we watched it bubbe out with water and oil, this coud have been catastrophic! thanks gentmen for your help but my guess was the same as yours.....everybody always be jumping on the bearings lol
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Road Trip!

well if you ran around a week bone dry, and you have an blown hg, make sure you look at your cylinder walls.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

checked it thanks! the head gaskets wasnt blown it was cause i let a idiot friend of mine do it when i was sleepin and he doesnt believen in torgue seqence! more or less he just grabs a socket set and tightens them, we had a talk!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
checked it thanks! the head gaskets wasnt blown it was cause i let a idiot friend of mine do it when i was sleepin and he doesnt believen in torgue seqence! more or less he just grabs a socket set and tightens them, we had a talk!
So you took the head off, replaced the gasket, and got new bolts?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

let this be a lesson, dont drive your car if you have any worries of something being wrong
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00

damn i had the same problem with my 89 then i cracked the cylinder
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
So you took the head off, replaced the gasket, and got new bolts?
NOPE LOL, the engines coming out next week and im tearing it down! new gaskets, bolts, rings, bearing, etc! im not gonna run a supercharger on my stang unless im 110% sure everythings ok, i might go ahead and grab a 4.2 block while its out i been wanting to do that, i just dont feel confident that everythings fine and theres only one way to find out! for now shes parked but hey we finisshed up the 3000gt so now i can play with her for lil while .............im sorry

Old 12-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
NOPE LOL, the engines coming out next week and im tearing it down! new gaskets, bolts, rings, bearing, etc! im not gonna run a supercharger on my stang unless im 110% sure everythings ok, i might go ahead and grab a 4.2 block while its out i been wanting to do that, i just dont feel confident that everythings fine and theres only one way to find out! for now shes parked but hey we finisshed up the 3000gt so now i can play with her for lil while .............im sorry
Make sure you cover everything. Clean the pistons and rods, hone the cylinder walls, get the ford mls gaskets. Whatever else you plan on doing, now is a good time to do ported heads and intakes as well as cams. And take pics, we all like to see pics
Old 12-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Psst...the 4.2 block is a 3.8 block with a different crank...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

could have told me that in a message on the fly lol, now i feel retarded lol, im kidding this is how i learn man new stuff, explain then the 4.2 swap...i read the sticky already i mean in detail, thought the heads ups from my 3.9 sat on top the block down of a 4.2, i figured 4.2 had bigger pistons and everything

Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

NOW THE ROD BEARINGS ARE SHOT LOL....the lifters were loose so we tighten them! when we drained the oil it look like a milk shake, i fired it up after that i could hear it then....the famous knock knock noise, but its all good im gonna do this right, any suggestions on somethings while shes out? upgrades or cool ideas of anykind?......im open to everything, i want start on her till the 10th, i like to have my ideas and anything else on paper before any project so ill keep checking this to see if anybody has got anything! look forward to hearing from you guys! God bless

Old 01-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
NOW THE ROD BEARINGS ARE SHOT LOL....the lifters were loose so we tighten them! when we drained the oil it look like a milk shake, i fired it up after that i could hear it then....the famous knock knock noise, but its all good im gonna do this right, any suggestions on somethings while shes out? upgrades or cool ideas of anykind?......im open to everything, i want start on her till the 10th, i like to have my ideas and anything else on paper before any project so ill keep checking this to see if anybody has got anything! look forward to hearing from you guys! God bless
You tightened your lifters....
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

yea. how they got lose idk but i could move them! the far 3 on the driver side

Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
yea. how they got lose idk but i could move them! the far 3 on the driver side
You do realize, you can't tighten lifters correct?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

pull your valve cover off and youll see there bolts you take off above each lifter to take it off, if your were to unscrew this bolt the plate looking thing would come off and then there your actual lifter, if that plates lose you can actually shake your lifter! go see what im talking bout first and youll be like ohhhhhh, i know the actual lifter it self cannot be tightened but theres something that holds them in and im calling it a plate im not sure the actual name but that can get lose and then your lifter will losen! im serious go look i saw me do it!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
pull your valve cover off and youll see there bolts you take off above each lifter to take it off, if your were to unscrew this bolt the plate looking thing would come off and then there your actual lifter, if that plates lose you can actually shake your lifter! go see what im talking bout first and youll be like ohhhhhh, i know the actual lifter it self cannot be tightened but theres something that holds them in and im calling it a plate im not sure the actual name but that can get lose and then your lifter will losen! im serious go look i saw me do it!
You do realize I've built several motors, including the forged 4.3L thats in my mustang. I'm not the one asking question on the forums, I'm the one answering them. Anyway education time, relax and take notes: You pull off a valve cover, you're now looking at your ROCKER ARMS, which are in your case bolted in because I assume they are stock.

If you wanted to get to your LIFTERS, you would remove valve covers, rocker arms, push rods, air intake, upper intake manifold, lower intake manifold, radiator hoses, the heater hose in the back on the lower intake manifold, the coolant sensor, pull the lower off, and then you would have access to the lifters.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

simmer down sugar nuts no ones testing your gangsta in here, im proud of you for building all those engines and thank you for the knowledge, im not a mr know it all and dont care for those who are, i listen to all the advice and knowledge that i get thats how i have learned so fast so quick, i was told the part im working on is lifters and was told to tighten them down, im being menotred by several mechanics so im still learnig but love every min of knowledge i get, i been working on cars for years but interior and custom body is my thing, you sound like your know what your talking about this awesome...good for you, but heres a lil knowledge from me to you so relax and "take notes"....untill your name is on that top right corner that reads "top thank users" your not top **** in this forum! your no spector, venom, sonic pony(damn u came up quick) or any of those guys! those guys dont have to tell ppl they answer questions becasue there that good and we know who they are and there all willing to help anyway and are not mr know it alls! they treat ppl with respect and understanding that others are here for help and are even humble enough to ask for help or questions from regular members, anyway the lower intake was off i was telling you the part i tightened you can take your valve cover off to see! i reread my post unless you read it the wrong way idk how i offended you to get snappy or unless your just a mr hot shot, i have ask advice from you before and you seem kinda cocky, just know you role and for God sake i have my post and thanks than you do bro lol, that doesnt me **** to me im just saying everyone is here to help and get helped thats what forums are bout!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
simmer down sugar nuts no ones testing your gangsta in here, im proud of you for building all those engines and thank you for the knowledge, im not a mr know it all and dont care for those who are, i listen to all the advice and knowledge that i get thats how i have learned so fast so quick, i was told the part im working on is lifters and was told to tighten them down, im being menotred by several mechanics so im still learnig but love every min of knowledge i get, i been working on cars for years but interior and custom body is my thing, you sound like your know what your talking about this awesome...good for you, but heres a lil knowledge from me to you so relax and "take notes"....untill your name is on that top right corner that reads "top thank users" your not top **** in this forum! your no spector, venom, sonic pony(damn u came up quick) or any of those guys! those guys dont have to tell ppl they answer questions becasue there that good and we know who they are and there all willing to help anyway and are not mr know it alls! they treat ppl with respect and understanding that others are here for help and are even humble enough to ask for help or questions from regular members, anyway the lower intake was off i was telling you the part i tightened you can take your valve cover off to see! i reread my post unless you read it the wrong way idk how i offended you to get snappy or unless your just a mr hot shot, i have ask advice from you before and you seem kinda cocky, just know you role and for God sake i have my post and thanks than you do bro lol, that doesnt me **** to me im just saying everyone is here to help and get helped thats what forums are bout!
Thanks don't mean much to me, I stay in one section on this forum. And this is one of like 10 forums I post on daily.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Update!!
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

sure thang man, shes parked and shes being torn down, im not in a hurry! i want this baby done right! i would say atleast 2 or 3 motnhs before complete, idk where its gonna go could be a 4.2 block or swap out the whole motor, if someone make me a offer on that supercharger that i cant refuse than its a motor swap cause thats the only thing keeping me from trashn the 3.9 is because i got a vortech for it and thats worth 3 times more than the engine itself lol, idk will see me but thatnks for the bumo someone does care lol

Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sure thang man, shes parked and shes being torn down, im not in a hurry! i want this baby done right! i would say atleast 2 or 3 motnhs before complete, idk where its gonna go could be a 4.2 block or swap out the whole motor, if someone make me a offer on that supercharger that i cant refuse than its a motor swap cause thats the only thing keeping me from trashn the 3.9 is because i got a vortech for it and thats worth 3 times more than the engine itself lol, idk will see me but thatnks for the bumo someone does care lol
Just showing some luv!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
You should really post some pics. Its one thing reading post every day, its another to actually see it.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by big show 98 View Post
Just showing some luv!!!
thank u i need some right now man im losing my PATIENce! cars are why i take blood pressure medicine and im only 27 lol

Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thank u i need some right now man im losing my PATIENce! cars are why i take blood pressure medicine and im only 27 lol
Add 3 kids & a wife plus the cars, I've been on the Bp med for about 10 years & I'm 34!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

LOL I HEAR YA MAN! aight guys UPDATE! i was gonna post a new thread but im just gonna add on this one cause its the same thing! we have confirmed it is lifters NOT BEARINGS, #1 it only does it when the car warms up and #2 i took a pc of metal tube and put it on top of the valve cover and rev it and i could here it plan as day it was a really good trick it worked like a steathoscope! anyway heres what i wanna do, theres a set of heads at the junkyard on a 3.9 stang that are in good condition, not sure if the springs and all that need to be changed too so im gonna grab all of it, im gonna clean the heads up real good and port maybe the openings and degrease them real good the just swap out all of that, i thinnk that should nip the problem in the butt and i would get my power back and then could put my supercharger back on! Comments, questions, concerns i want it all but no dick heads please im tryn to get motivated and confident about this before i do the job!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
LOL I HEAR YA MAN! aight guys UPDATE! i was gonna post a new thread but im just gonna add on this one cause its the same thing! we have confirmed it is lifters NOT BEARINGS, #1 it only does it when the car warms up and #2 i took a pc of metal tube and put it on top of the valve cover and rev it and i could here it plan as day it was a really good trick it worked like a steathoscope! anyway heres what i wanna do, theres a set of heads at the junkyard on a 3.9 stang that are in good condition, not sure if the springs and all that need to be changed too so im gonna grab all of it, im gonna clean the heads up real good and port maybe the openings and degrease them real good the just swap out all of that, i thinnk that should nip the problem in the butt and i would get my power back and then could put my supercharger back on! Comments, questions, concerns i want it all but no dick heads please im tryn to get motivated and confident about this before i do the job!
If its the lifters, how do you figure getting new cylinder heads is going to solve your problem? Or do you mean your going to swap the heads while you're doing the lifters?
Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

sorry i coulod have worded that better but yes everythings getting replaced up there! i wanna do i right like any car that plans on forced induction should

Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Take the 3000gt fund & get some bigger valves put in those heads & a good port job. Let that Vortech flow!!!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

SHES BACK, SHES RUNNING AND SHES A BEAST......:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout: ppeeaacceeeeee

Old 01-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
SHES BACK, SHES RUNNING AND SHES A BEAST......:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout: ppeeaacceeeeee
Good job,
now I'm just curious do you have any pictures of your car or video of it running?! I'm sure everybody here would love to actually see and hear this car rather than keep reading about it.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

i have pics on my page but i dont have a memory card in my phone or i would cause im really proud of this one shes idling perfect, the engines not shaking, almost quiet under the hood when it cranks, now its time to put the new bearings in the supercharger and hook that back up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang