what to do next? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
what to do next?

so far my 3.9l v6 as dual exhaust, MAC CAI, 4.10 gears/tlok(need installed),custom tunes(getting when gears installed nextweek). what to do next fellas? superchargers are out of the question..will be too much at this point to swap to 8.8 rearend plus the price of the charger itself haha. ive been told to get a new intake manifold?NO idea.
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: what to do next?

if its something thats actually worth the money. lmk!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

port and polish upper and lower intake and cylinder heads, new pullys, short shifter, long tube headers and an h pipe, umm maybe be a few more maybe that will keep you busy till the end of the year LOL, serously o/r H pipe if your bored with your sound and want deeper ballzier tone and P&P will give a lil more accel to your ACCelration!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

your saying i can take my stock intakes and cylinder heads and get them polished? what would that do power wise?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

well polishing on the outside just makes it look pretty lol, but porting is where you grind the metal away to make the air way bigger so MORE airflow equals more power, after you grind it the insides rough so then you polish it so the air can flow somthly, i did my upper and lower intake port&polish myself but did not try to do the heads, i would have the heads done professionally! its gives a lil more power but its really setting your car up so when force air induction comes you will feel its full potential, forced air as is turbo or supercharger! you gotta air compressor?
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

What were the before and after #'s and what kind of gain did u see after the P&P? I'm sure he will probably want to know that in order to make up his mind and I'm interested to hear also.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

not sure about the air compressor cause..im a newbie haha. and i prob wont be going into turbo or superchargers. p&p would be something i could actually do now so would difference would that make on my car?

i actually just read that p&p the cylinder heads and upper and lower intakes that your horse power increases by 5%-10%. whatever that means. not sure if its true. ill believe yall over that
Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

well it wasnt anything do back flips over but def a difference in 1st and 2nd gear, any lil performance increase is worth my time and i had already planned on doing air induction (turbo or supercharger) at that really helps air flow better which means more power! DDTCM i would recommend it if you have the time, its not gonna blow your mind or feel like nitrous or anything but for 12 bucks for some stones and 2 or 3 days of your time for a few more numbers is worth it bro, and it will help with the foundation for your future mods! you could always do that windstar upper inatke swap for what i hear is a good solid 10-15hp! they sale a kit with everything you need bro, that with a nicely ported lower intake would be good!

Old 12-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ill look into it, im not even sure where id take my car to get ported and polished around here. ill prob do it some day but since i cant do it myself...3 days without my car would kill me
Old 12-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
not sure about the air compressor cause..im a newbie haha. and i prob wont be going into turbo or superchargers. p&p would be something i could actually do now so would difference would that make on my car?

i actually just read that p&p the cylinder heads and upper and lower intakes that your horse power increases by 5%-10%. whatever that means. not sure if its true. ill believe yall over that
An air compressor is not part of the car he asked that because if you have one you can do it yourself with the right tools. And if i were you i'd port and polish the heads that will gain more than just the intake. Of course if you have the money have them do both it won't cost much more.

I would take your heads to a machine shop tell them to clean em' p&p em' then if you have the cash tell them you wanted bigger intake and exhaust valves that would make a pretty noticable increase.

If you can't go without your car but some heads from a salvage yard and let the machine shop take thier time.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

get the longtubes and screamin demon coil pack before the tune. and if u can afford it, get a ported upper an lower intake, heads, and cam. do as much as u can before the tune though. cuz it gets expensive.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i heard getting my upper and lower intake, heads, and cylinder heads ported and polished wuld be around $1200. maybe more??? no clue.. add in cam and thats worse. but i can always update the tune
Old 12-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah

just because i am curious as well, can i get some $$$ estimates for a p&p at a shop?
what about to do it myself, assuming i could live without my car for a while? parts, cost, how-to?
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

hopefully osiris sonicpony or spector will know. just saying random **** trying to get member status.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Honestly I've never priced out a P&P so I don't know estimates. Call up your local, reputable machine shops and ask for prices. If you can remove the heads yourself and bring them into the shop I assume the price drops drastically.

As per doing it yourself, if you are unsure of what you are doing or shaky with tools I wouldn't recommend it. You can actually hurt your horsepower. There is an article somewhere (I want to say over at Modded Mustangs) on porting and polishing and a how to. A Google search should suffice in finding this article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

looks like its the shop for me then, unless a buddy of mine knows how to do it. thanks for the info though.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Port and polish is around 250 dollars.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm currently building an engine right now and have found out that if you find out what all you want done just take off your heads its not hard and take them to the shop tell them what you want done and that will make it alot easier.

Here are your options :
Triple angle valve job - about $90.00
Larger valves - 75-100 dollars to cut the heads plus price for valves
Port and Polish - about 75 dollars an hour
Camshaft - 250-300 for the cam alone then more for pushrods springs and all that good stuff.
And of course one of the best options is the 4.2 stroker crankshaft.
Any other questions just ask away.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'll probably be asking about all this again in the future. I have to finish the last of my bolt on then save my money for college. it will be a while after that before i start modding the car again.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

under drive pulley, lowering springs, wheels, (not performance mods power wise but handling wise), rims/tires (hook up and handling wise), port/polish intakes
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
Port and polish is around 250 dollars.
for real? is that just for upper and lower intake? what about with cylinderheads maybe cam?
Old 12-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

oh nevermind only had seen ur 1st post =]
Old 12-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-saleen View Post
just because i am curious as well, can i get some $$$ estimates for a p&p at a shop?
what about to do it myself, assuming i could live without my car for a while? parts, cost, how-to?
bro it took me 3 days and about 12 bucks in stone (2 packs) then i used a few brush wheels then finished it up with a fine brush, it just takes patients, i loved every min of it, now that was the upper and lower intake, my heads have and WANT be touched by me! i would only allow a shop with a gaurentee do that, i have heard storys of a job done wrong making a horrible loss in power! if your have an air compressor practice on some old parts first then youlll learn how to get a good flow going, my first P&P job was on my 90' 300 upper intake manifold and throttle body, incase you never seen on a upper intake on a 300zx is like 2 1/2 long LOL, it took time, heres some pics of one side polished and the throttle body to give you an idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polish1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	21353   Click image for larger version

Name:	polish 2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	21354  

Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

i noticed that upton7 said he priced a cam for 250-300, where did you get that at? and i hear a lot people talk about this windstar upper intake. is that the minivan windstar?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6stang04 View Post
i noticed that upton7 said he priced a cam for 250-300, where did you get that at? and i hear a lot people talk about this windstar upper intake. is that the minivan windstar?
Yah, it's off the windstar...you can buy the kit from VAP auto or find one at a junkyard and piece a kit together.

VAP Auto - Windstar Kit

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

sonic with that kit would you want a new cam? is that just an upper intake?

is 10hp/26 lbft worth $395?

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
Old 01-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado

Did you upgrade your ignition yet? Some extra juice never hurts and it not expensive.
Current Mods: SCT 4 Bank Chip, K&N CAI, 25% UDP, ZEX 75 Wet Shot, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Autolite XP Iridium Plugs, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, 3.73 Rear Gear, Ford Racing T-Lok, 18x9 Saleen Chrome Rims Front, 18x10 Saleen Chrome Rims Rear w/Nitto 555R Drag Radials (Track).
SonicBlueV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlueV6 View Post
Did you upgrade your ignition yet? Some extra juice never hurts and it not expensive.
Speaking of the juice!!! NOS!!!!
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
sonic with that kit would you want a new cam? is that just an upper intake?

is 10hp/26 lbft worth $395?
I think it's just the upper intake that is swapped out. Keep in mind that your CAI is relocated to the front and then off to the left fender, similar to the 4.0 v6's.

I don't think the gain is worth the money...if the kit was a hundred dollars or so, it would be more reasonable. You can buy a tuner with custom tunes for that price and see more gains in several areas.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Quote:
ill look into it, im not even sure where id take my car to get ported and polished around here. ill prob do it some day but since i cant do it myself...3 days without my car would kill me
Dude! You live in Charlotte.....there should be PLENTY of machine shops, and even performance shops that do machine work around there. Hell, worse case, ride over to the UTI campus, and see what they'll do for ya. You MIGHT be able to get one of the instructors to use your stuff to show the students how to do the ****.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

that would be a blessing lol

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

yeah how legit would that be haha

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang