underdrive pulley - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
underdrive pulley

is the 15hp maybe even 10(thats a guess- i dont really know how much hp it gives-lmk) from an aluminum underdrive pulley really worth the $250? heres what i was looking at.

Mustang ASP Underdrive Pulleys & Belt Package =
ASP Underdrive Pulley/Harmonic Balancer & Belt Package for 01-04 V6
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: underdrive pulley

andwill someone tell me what a turbonator is...that goes in your CAI. i mean i know what it is but does it actually do anything? seems like it would do....nothing....
plus i never see a place where u can get one. idkkk
Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah

If you go back and read it again, it says "Gain up to 10 HP & 10 FT/LB of torque" make sure you note how it says (UP TO) which basically means if you have some other engine parts and modifications with the pulley and a tune you might be able to pull 10hp from it. so basically no, you really wont get 10, especially in a V6.

out of curiosity, does anyone know if this will work for an 00 V6?
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

A turbonater is said to make the air coming in like spin or something like that but it actually doesn't. It clogs up the intake and makes you lose horsepower. And you can get underdrive pulleys for alot less than that go to Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts l 800-230-3030 and look for summit brand
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i have other parts ad a tune but. still not worth it
Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
i have other parts ad a tune but. still not worth it
if you have the money to spend, and dont have something else you are saving for, sure. Go for it. You'll get some power, but dont expect a lot. If you do get it, dont forget to retune.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ive got the money but eh. i want a cool *** hood.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

steeda has one for $225.

hey upton7, i looked through that site, but couldnt find one for v6 mustangs. maybe i just missed it.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-saleen View Post
steeda has one for $225.

hey upton7, i looked through that site, but couldnt find one for v6 mustangs. maybe i just missed it.
couldnt find one either
Old 12-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I found one when i was shopping for my car but i got a v8 my bad but you can surely find some for cheaper than 250.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

If you don't have a huge audio system and don't plan on supercharging in the future, you might as well get a udp. You'll gain a few hp's and tq, and the tune will make it more effective along with the other bolt ons.

Turbonators are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine...so, don't even consider it

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

hey sonicpony, why would you not want an udp if you have a huge sound system or a supercharge?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hey sonicpony, why would you not want an udp if you have a huge sound system or a supercharge?
id like to know as well. 2 10" subs in the back
Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
id like to know as well. 2 10" subs in the back
The smaller pulley will slow the charge of the accessories running off that pulley. Some people with larger systems (1400 rms amps and 2 12" subs) had some issues at idle. The idle speed when the v6 is warmed up is 700-800 RPM. The ASP 25% UDP allows the alternator to provide a full charge when the engine is turning over at 850 RPM. Some people have had issues with this, and others didn't.

The pulley is underdriven, they reduce the speed of accessories relative to the crankshaft speed, which in turn reduces the parasitic drag on the engine causing more hp and tq. You don't want your supercharger (or any belt driven power adder) to be underdriven. Since the supercharger is belt driven, you want the larger stock pulley.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
The smaller pulley will slow the charge of the accessories running off that pulley. Some people with larger systems (1400 rms amps and 2 12" subs) had some issues at idle. The idle speed when the v6 is warmed up is 700-800 RPM. The ASP 25% UDP allows the alternator to provide a full charge when the engine is turning over at 850 RPM. Some people have had issues with this, and others didn't.

The pulley is underdriven, they reduce the speed of accessories relative to the crankshaft speed, which in turn reduces the parasitic drag on the engine causing more hp and tq. You don't want your supercharger (or any belt driven power adder) to be underdriven. Since the supercharger is belt driven, you want the larger stock pulley.
+1
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:

Damn Your getting good !!! get the UDP any HP gain is a plus !!! Check with VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing for UDP and the 01-04 V6 don't require a tune for the pulley

Here's a link to the pulley http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...id=85&parent=0

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:

+1, When driving in traffic at night with the ac on my car charges very low when idling on the brakes. A slight tap of the throttle & the charge goes to normal. All good any other time.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Make sure you get a pulley that is for your year model car. They changed from an internally balanced setup to an externally balanced setup.

Also, there are ways to keep from losing your alternator charge with u/d pulley and that is to get an overdrive pulley for the alternator so it's running the right voltage. Same trick used by some of us overspinning the stock alternators that are having to put an underdrive pulley on the alternator to keep from blowing it up...

I never saw the gain to be worth the money on my own car, but it's all up to what you want to do. If you decide to go over 15% I would definitely recommend getting a corresponding pulley for your alternator. I wouldn't go over 15% in the first place but that is up to you...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang