coil pack - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer
coil pack

found this COIL PACK and was wondering if it is really an upgrade, or if its same as stock with colored connectors. want input , thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: coil pack

I've heard good things about Accel, as well as MSD. The question is, does it really improve spark intensity and produce more energy?

My guess would be yes, but not $108 worth (American Muscle's price)...maybe $59.99 worth though...that's my .02. Maybe someone who has one will chime in.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Had one on my old fox 5.0 & on the stock engine it made the throttle response a little better. That was with the accel coil, wires & plugs. Should do about the same on the sixer, but don't know for sure. I just bought a stock replacement for mine for $75.00
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

i have a screamin demon coil pack, inconjuction with new plugs and wires youll feel the differnce in the seat
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

what would be the best coil pack to get, and would the install be something that is an easy do it yourself, or would it be something to take to a shop?
v6stang04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Not trying to be mean, but if you cant change a coil pack on a v6 mustang you shouldn't be around anything other than a econobox. That being said its about as hard as peeling a banana, 4 bolts and a clip. As for performance, unless you have a decent bit of mods and you're buying it to open up the gap, or your stock coil is on its last leg, and you upgrade the stock coil and wires you'll get "like new" performance but no real gains. Also performance distributors (the people who make the SD coil) A+ on customer service. I've been through 4 of these things (they have a tendency to go bad for some reason) and not once have they hesitated to send me a replacement.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

screamin demon coil pack, nuff said!

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

what size does the 04 v6 for the spark plugs and wires? and the reason i didnt know about the coil pack is because i havent had to work on it before. and if i were to change the plugs and wires, what size should i get to get the best upgrade from it.
v6stang04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

stock plug wires are 8 mm (millimeters) and i believe the stock gap on the motorcraft plugs are .54, whereas my autolites are gapped to .65 since i have the screamin demon coil pack, as well as some other mods. if you upgrade your wires most of them will be 8.5 mm.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have the Accel Super EDIS Coil Pack and it was a definite upgrade from the stock one. I use mine with MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires and Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs. I can really feel the increased throttle response and power, It especially helps at high altitude. I live in Colorado, and I drive my stang from Denver to Vail often, you can really feel the difference when passing uphill on the mountain passes. If you're going to do the coil pack you should go with the plugs and wires too. I chose the Bosch Platinum +4 because your gap will change a little with the increased juice from the coil pack and you don't have to gap the +4's.
Current Mods: SCT 4 Bank Chip, K&N CAI, 25% UDP, ZEX 75 Wet Shot, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Autolite XP Iridium Plugs, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, 3.73 Rear Gear, Ford Racing T-Lok, 18x9 Saleen Chrome Rims Front, 18x10 Saleen Chrome Rims Rear w/Nitto 555R Drag Radials (Track).
SonicBlueV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

i know this will sound crazy but is it possible to use 2 coils in the v6. that way the spark on the exaust stroke is eliminated, thus in return prviding additional spark power on the power stroke. i know thats crazy but i was drivin for a while and i think crazy $h% when i go on long trips.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I support the screamin demon coil pacs. U get better gas mileage and more torque at lower revs. Also u get to increase ur spark gap to .65 which is a LOT more than stock!!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post
i know this will sound crazy but is it possible to use 2 coils in the v6. that way the spark on the exaust stroke is eliminated, thus in return prviding additional spark power on the power stroke. i know thats crazy but i was drivin for a while and i think crazy $h% when i go on long trips.
please explain lol, and go with screamin demon bro
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgehammer View Post

Spark on the exhaust stroke?!?!?! Maybe I missed something when I was learning about engines one day?

Anyway to anybody else you may be feeling some increased acceleration from the coil but you're not gaining anything. At best your getting lost performance back from changing the plugs. And bosh platinum plugs are crap.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang