Performance Lower Springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Performance Lower Springs

I was thinking about lowering my car and was wondering. I know they sell performance springs to stiffen up your suspension for better performance, are lower springs like this?
jwalthersoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Performance Lower Springs

Most lowering springs for our mustangs have some performance enhancement in mind. Eibach, H&R, Ford Racing, all lower the car and improve performance. Drag springs are specifically for launching and performance rather than lowering, but most springs like Eibach Pro Kit, H&R racing/supersport springs, and ford C springs give you both.

Your stock springs are linear. They are more predictable and fixed in spring rate. They won't adjust to the driving situation as much as a progressive spring.

Most aftermarket springs are progressive, where they vary in stiffness and softness based on the driving situation. When you are just cruising they are softer to absorb bumps and uneven roads, but when you start driving aggressively and competitively, they'll stiffen up accordingly. Most aftermarket springs are progressive, some such as the Ford Racing C Springs are linear (standard). So pay attention to which springs are progressive and linear.

Coil overs are nice because you can adjust how much you want to lower the car. They are pretty expensive, good ones run $800-1200 compared to $250 for normal progressive springs. I personally don't think they are really necessary unless you're obsessed with being able to change your height.

Look for a set of springs that will lower your car at least 1.5". Anything less and you're not going to notice. Eibach pro kit drops roughly 1.5", H&R Super Sports drop the car 1.75-2".

Here's a good tech article from American Muscle:

Mustang Suspension Tech Guide - Part 3 - Springs and Lowering Your Mustang at AmericanMuscle.com

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Aight, cool. Thanks. Ya i dont think I need to change the height lower and keep it that way lol. I do a little street racing every once and a while ( I know I will probably take some heat from saver ppl, but when some one challenges me to a game of cat and mouse or race to location I cant turn it down.... oh it sucks to me young ) but anyways ya I race once and a while and just wanted to upgrade my suspension a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I know I might be rambling a bit but it just pisses me off when ppl under estimate american cars handling. I have beat plenty of import in races, other than a straight line. Sry but had to get that out there. But really doesnt it upset anyone else?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

make sure you check the spring rate, if you want performance go with a spring thats 600ftlbs front 300 rear or more~

springs are basically springs~ go with a reputable brand, either linear or progressive. Linear keeps the same rate as the coils are evenly spaced. Progressive springs get tighter toward one end of the spring and as the spring compresses the tighter the spring gets.

I love my H&R race springs they are 720lbs for my setup, ford C springs are a good spring for the money.

You will need CC plates if you go over an inch, or heck you may anyway. IMO if its not at least 1.5 inches its not a good enough of a drop.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm...idk how low 1.5 is but this is my dd so keep that in mind.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

springs want hurt a DD only improve its handling
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalthersoccer View Post
Hmm...idk how low 1.5 is but this is my dd so keep that in mind.
1.5" ins't bad at all for a DD. Jimmy_Beaner dropped his GT 1.5" (Eibach Pro kit) and it was his DD all year, winters and all. There are a ton of guys who drop there mustangs 1.5+" and have no problems driving...just watch steep inclines and speed bumps.

If you want a noticeable drop from that stock 4x4 look, I'd go at least 1.5". As stated above, CC plates are going to be needed to adjust toe and camber. (keep your tires from wearing unevenly). If you have the extra cash, you may want to look into some shocks and struts since you're tearing that area apart anyways, plus they are better for handling the change in spring rate.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Aight, cool. Thanks. Ya i dont think I need to change the height lower and keep it that way lol. I do a little street racing every once and a while ( I know I will probably take some heat from saver ppl, but when some one challenges me to a game of cat and mouse or race to location I cant turn it down.... oh it sucks to me young ) but anyways ya I race once and a while and just wanted to upgrade my suspension a bit.
#1- A 1.5" is the "standard drop" for mustangs, and noticably gives it a more agressive look. I'm just waiting for the spare time and cash to do mine. BBK also makes a set of "lowering springs", caster/camber plates, etc. I'm sure they're as good as the rest of their products, though Eibach is a more common brand.
#2- Don't worry about taking heat from anyone!!! Mustangs are not made to sit in the garage....they are made to haul ***!!!! This may be an oxymoron, but as long as you are "safe" about racing...to hell with what anyone else thinks. I'm certain that I don't have to explain myself on that one?? lol
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking about upgrading shocks and struts too. But on a limited budget lol. This is something I can put in my self, springs, struts and shocks?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Also how much money am I looking at for upgrading springs, struts and shocks?
Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was thinking about upgrading shocks and struts too. But on a limited budget lol. This is something I can put in my self, springs, struts and shocks?
They really aren't that difficult to put in...(this is what I've heard, I haven't actually installed them, but I don't think it'd be that difficult) it can be done if you are confident, mechanically inclined and willing to try. If you get confused or think you are on the wrong track you can always put everything back together and take it to a shop.

If you just install the springs and not shocks/struts it won't be bad at all. Just remember to buy CC plates and install them too.

Here's a great install article done by SpectorV:

Installing Mustang Lowering Springs

Quote:
Also how much money am I looking at for upgrading springs, struts and shocks?
Thanks for the help guys
Lowering springs cost anywhere from $150 to $250. Eibach and H&R usually run around the $250 mark, where Ford C springs are around $150. Maximum Motorsports have good 4 bolt CC plates for $200.

Tokico is a pretty popular brand among mustang enthusiasts. The HP Series struts run around $100 each, and shocks $55 each. So figure roughly $310 for 2 struts and 2 shocks.

I based all the prices off American Muscle...probably some of the best prices around, good service/support and free shipping

Ford Mustang Suspension at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

We offer several suspension packages for Mustangs

1. Base lowering kit. Eibach Pro-kit and MM CC plates: $410 for forum members and includes shipping

2. Stage1 kit. Eibach Pro-kit, MM CC plates, and Tokico D-spec shocks/struts: $965 for forum members and include shipping. The D-specs are a fully adjustable shock/strut setup.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds great might be looking in to that.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yah those prices from John at NQS are great, definitely consider it...I'm going to have to remember that when I order springs/cc plates this spring.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Pretty easy to install, just use caution when installing the front ones.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I've had the Eibach progressive kit, BBK specfic kit, & Ford racing B-springs. The Eibach gave the best stance & handling, The B springs where the best riding but the front was a bit to high for me. The BBK's slam the car & rode like a tank.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
#1- a 1.5" is the "standard drop" for mustangs, and noticably gives it a more agressive look. I'm just waiting for the spare time and cash to do mine. Bbk also makes a set of "lowering springs", caster/camber plates, etc. I'm sure they're as good as the rest of their products, though eibach is a more common brand.
#2- don't worry about taking heat from anyone!!! Mustangs are not made to sit in the garage....they are made to haul ***!!!! This may be an oxymoron, but as long as you are "safe" about racing...to hell with what anyone else thinks. I'm certain that i don't have to explain myself on that one?? Lol
not to me and you know this bro :d
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can do springs/cc plates now (expect 50 bucks for front end alignment) and later on do shocks/struts if you wanted.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

tien s sport springs, maximum motorsports caster camber plates, bilstien shocks and struts, and alignment and get some thicker sway bars(ford racing) to reduce that body roll. you'll have about a grand or 2 depending on what ya buy. but thats to do it the right way.

to do it the wrong way- just buy the springs and enjoy buying front tires all the time from the premature wear on the inside due to the lack of caster camber plates/alighnment. lol

the unlimited budget way- call eibach and order their coilover kit with cc plates!

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang