Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Questions on Installing Longtubes

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  I_luv_HP&trq 
#1 ·
I just purchased lts, an h-pipe, and dual exhaust...my local shop says they do not install customer bought parts because thye dont make any money of it so now its time for me to install these bad boys myself... now i dont have my tune yet so I can not turn off the rear o2 sensors and the MIL... do the front o2 sensors attach to the Lt's without problems??(they are MAC) also is there anything else I need to know when I am installing this?? Where do I go to get some exhaust hangers?? Please help me cause I want to get my exhaust on as soon as possible if I can without the tune...thanks

I have a 2000 v6 Automatic

#3 ·
if your keeping the cats, dont forget about the harness for lengthening your 02 sensors to reach the bung on the headers. yes it can be cut/spliced to work but plug/play is always nice if you decide to take them off to put stock back on. just take everything off carefully and work your way from the motor to the back. getting the longtubes to fit at first might be the hard part, cant remember how much room is in your engine bay but jacking the motor up to slide them in might need to be done.

#4 ·
i had a pain putting my shorty headers in on my 99 v6... there is very little room to work with, but I dont think you should have to jack up the engine. however i didnt do long tube headers, so i dont know for sure. but yeah, you have to get a harness to lengthen the sensors. about the hangers... i got mine from who i got the exhaust from, but i think ford sells the gt hangers, but im not sure. if you got your exhaust from a company, ask them about it because they probably have some. if not, check out a MAC website or a similar company who makes bolt on exhaust kits.

#5 ·
just give em 300 bucks cash to do it, thats money... they are making... sounds good to me... probably more than they will make in two hours doing anythign else.

#6 ·
OK so I thought there were wo sets of o2 sensors...one front and one back farther....I thought you could use the fronts without needing a longer sensor and the rear is the one you needed the longer wire for the sensor....as for MILs my h-pipe is an off-road so both cats will be gone...now can an x-cal 2 shut the MILs off so that way I dont need the MIL eliminator??...also since I am installing the parts before I get the tune can I drive my car with check engine light on for a little bit till i get my tune???

#7 ·
The rear ones will be turned off in your tune, no need for MIL eliminators. You would actually leave them out of the car, but you need something to plug the rear O2 holes.

The front O2s are REQUIRED for your car to run right, you'll probably have to find some slack in the harness to get them to reach the LTs, since the LT headers place the O2s in the collectors, which is much farther than the stock location. Make sure the wires from the front O2s don't get melted.

#8 ·
ok well thanks to everyone for that great information and if there is anything else i should know please tell me....one other question...what is a good paint to use on the headers since I dont have ceramic coated headers?? should I sand prime and then paint or just sand and then paint or what??

#9 ·
don't paint them and definitely don't sand them. sanding will leave thin spots in the metal, and the paint will burn off the instant your car warms up. no point in painting headers anyway, no one will see them after they're on

and as far as that shop not installing customer bought parts, that's ******* stupid. they don't make money off buying you parts, they make money raping you on labor costs... i'd say boycott that shop and find a different one, cuz those guys are douchebags

#12 ·
If you're going to paint them at least use something that says it's a high temp paint for exhaust. My eastwood catalog has exactly what you need but it's a year old, so not sure if they still carry it. Try looking them up at www.eastwoodcompany.com
It may take a little searching but they should have what you're looking for.
They have high temp exhaust coating in a spray can or a liquid form sold by the pint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.