Tuning with a diablo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Tuning with a diablo

gentlemn how are we today....im messing with the 04 3.9 mustang and i have my predator diablo........does anyone know how to tune with this thang? i already have this so im not gonna upgrade/down grade right now i just want some advice on how to tune with this one, i see where i can tune i think but im having trouble undertsanding what they all mean, i would love to have the knowledge to fine tune vechiles so this could be a good practice! anyway any kind of tips, advice, heads up, or help would be great! im sure a few will have there opnions so through those in there, more or less i dont know how to do somethign and would like to learn!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Tuning with a diablo

well think of a tuner as a laptop that you own. You write a word document and save it. That word document is the same as if it were to have been created on some other laptop of a different brand right?

So a tuner is like a laptop. It does something~ they all do the same thing.. .update your car's tune file. The end result is pretty much the same for all tuners. The only issues is some tuners allow better data logging or allow you to modify specific parameters others wont... so in the end they are all pretty much the same and do the same thing.

Now with that out of the way, when a tuner is used it is "locked" to that car ,that means only that car can use it. You can have them unlocked either by removing the custom tune or paying someone to unlock it. If yours is unlocked continue on.

You have the tuner but... now you have to have a tune file loaded onto the tuner. I mean, you have to update the car with something~ thats the tune file. Some tuners come with default base tunes called "can tunes" that are just updates that are not optimal but do make a difference.

Does your tuner have tunes on it that you can use? Some tuners dont come with tune, you have to buy a tune and put it on it... you cant use it until you do.

Take me for example, I purchased an SCT Tuner and it had no tunes on it from the manufacturer, I went to the tune menu and it was blank since there were not tunes to select from. Once I got it I contacted RWTD (a business that writes tunes for my car) and had him write me a tune. He emailed me the file and I saved it on my desk top.

My tuner has a USB cord, I pluged it up to my computer and downloaded the SCT software that allows me to put a custom tune on my tuner. I entered in the custom tune and clicked upload and "BAM" the tune is now on my SCT Tuner.

Now that thats done I just plug the tuner up to the car and click the tune menu option and tell it to use the tune I have.

Then im done

so basically, is your tuner unlocked?

Does it have custom tunes on it for YOUR type of car?

If you require a custom tune (the best kind to get the most power out of your car) I recommend finding a tuner you trust that can write tunes for your tuner type (Diablo going by what you said) and take the car to them. They can dyno it and what not and give you a custom tune file for your vehicle. Some people are quite good at writing tunes and can send you one in the email that is very close to optimal. A dyno always ensures the car is safe and can be used to fine tune the car.

Data logging is also useful~ basically you record everything the car is doing under different circumstances... like 1000rpm to 4500 rpm with half throttle, just idling, or full throttle and the tuner can view those records and see how the car is doing.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

YEA! WHAT HE SAID!

If it's just the fact of trying to figure out HOW to use the damned thing, go to diablo's website, and download the user's manual for your model of tuner. I downloaded a PDF manual for my ****ty old superchips tuner, so I'm certain that Diablo would provide a downloadable manual also.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

With a supercharger, and bigger injectors you're going to want to find a good dyno tuner who can tune the car for you. They actually have tuning school/classes, you can also buy books, etc learning how to tune.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

thanks spector! it does have a tune can tune i got it set on a 93 octance tune right now, i know how to download stuff from the computer cause i had to update it the day i bought it lol, apparently diablo had something up with the 04 model v6 and you had to download a program to use it, but i more or less thought you could plug it in and change all those things while in the car, so you need to take note then go to the laptop and write it?
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can only modify certain things with the tuner while its pluged into the vehicle. You need a custom tune created to modify other things~ you can buy the software to do it or get a tuner to write a tune for your car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang