Opinions wanted - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Talking Opinions wanted

Ok I ust got my 2004 mustang a few months ago. I went with a v6....I have ad ppl telling me to drop a v8 in her and I have also had ppl tellin me I can get just as much power out of a v6 with the right mods....So question being what do u guys think.
And just so u know b4 u answer....I am not planning on racing her on a regular basis, but I would like for her to be ready to jump on a drag...as well as I want her to be a fun toy that I can enjoy.
ur thoughts would be very appriciated.
chynablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Opinions wanted

if you do plan on drag racing, the very first thing you need to invest in is a ford racing lsd. the first time i went to drag, half of my teeth broke off on it. but you can put some money into it and it'll be right there with v8's. i kept even with a 2007 v8 and i told him it was just a 6 and he didnt believe me, so i showed him my engine, and he was impressed. is it an auto, or man? any mods done to it from the previous owner?
v6stang04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

Dropping in a v8 would probably be more expensive than its worth. You could sell your car and use the money that would have gone toward the swap and get a GT.
IMO: I was in the same boat as you wanting to swap to v8 but realized that v6 can have good hp & tq numbers as well with some money in them. Im sure that something else will tell you to do the swap but I wouldn't.
jwalthersoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Gears, turner, true dual exhaust to start.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

theres a list of things you should do in the order you should do somewhere on these forums.

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

ive read the same thing, about the list anyway, but i think i saw it on another site if i recall right.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #7

thx guys. it is a manual. The mods I know of from previous owner are cold air intake, duel exhaust, and it has been lowered. It seems the previous owner dumped more money into the looks instead of the performance. I haven't really got into it to see what else cuz weather has been really bad pretty much since I gt it. I plan on really gttn into it when it wrms up. Right now I got to get a belt or fix a pulley. I think its the ac pulley but not sure. It just started making a horrible sound. I know its one of the 2, but its barely gnna gt out of the 20's here until i kno sunday so...thats gnna hv to wait. my poor girl. lol
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

well most of the time if its making a noise its gonna be one of your pulleys, if you do change out a pulley, check your belt as well for any cracks. what kind of pipes do you have, straight, h, or x? if you go with gears, everyone says for the man trans go with 3.73, and while you're at it, go ahead and get an aftermarket performance lsd with tlok, trust me, itll save you time and money.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Here's that guide those guys were talking about:

V6 Mustang Modification Guide

I agree with what's been posted above. Gears/tlok are going to be the best bang for the buck mods next to a tune. You'll want the tune after gears anyways to adjust your speedo, managed by the ECU.

These three mods will make your v6 the most "drag ready".

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado

I would stick with the modding the V6 instead of swapping it, Unless you're gonna do something special like a Boss 302 or some crazy super-engine but that's gonna be pricey. Definitely do the rear end with the Ford Racing T-Lok differential and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. If you do all the bolt-ons you'll be right there with the V8's.
Current Mods: SCT 4 Bank Chip, K&N CAI, 25% UDP, ZEX 75 Wet Shot, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Autolite XP Iridium Plugs, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, 3.73 Rear Gear, Ford Racing T-Lok, 18x9 Saleen Chrome Rims Front, 18x10 Saleen Chrome Rims Rear w/Nitto 555R Drag Radials (Track).
SonicBlueV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #11

it is straight to answer ur question v6stang04.....yea I knew I needed a belt or something cuz 4 past couple of weeks the belt squeals just 4 sec when I start it. my car has had to wait cuz I gt laid off and just now 2day started a new job.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #12

well I was thinking bout something like a boss. I mean if I was gonna swap them. I mean if Im gonna do it I might as well. but really time will tell cuz i gt to finish paying it off b4 I can drop that kind of money on her. the nice thing is I kno that I will not gt rid of this car so I gt plenty of time. The only other mustang i plan on gtting is an old boss or mach 1. eveybody keeps tellin me I'm too rough on cars....but i say no cars r made weak now. I ust need a real car that can hold up to me. and I think an old bit of muscle could. lol
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlueV6 View Post
I would stick with the modding the V6 instead of swapping it, Unless you're gonna do something special like a Boss 302 or some crazy super-engine but that's gonna be pricey. Definitely do the rear end with the Ford Racing T-Lok differential and 3.73 or 4.10 gears. If you do all the bolt-ons you'll be right there with the V8's.
agreed. you should mod your sixer. but just know when your looking for new gears (4.10, if auto, is a must=]) they no longer make Ford Racing Gears to fit the 7.5"(V6) rearend. however they do make 3.73 that fit from frrp(but you DONT want those if its auto). id suggest buying Motive 4.10 gears, unless somehow u can find Ford racing gears

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by chynablue View Post
well I was thinking bout something like a boss. I mean if I was gonna swap them. I mean if Im gonna do it I might as well. but really time will tell cuz i gt to finish paying it off b4 I can drop that kind of money on her. the nice thing is I kno that I will not gt rid of this car so I gt plenty of time. The only other mustang i plan on gtting is an old boss or mach 1. eveybody keeps tellin me I'm too rough on cars....but i say no cars r made weak now. I ust need a real car that can hold up to me. and I think an old bit of muscle could. lol
Once you remove the v6 for the boss your car will never be the same. You'll prob end up selling it.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #15

that is very very true. i think better option is wait on v8. keep the v6 and just add mods. And when i gt another mustang go ahead and gt a v8then just modify it. thx i think that pretty much made up my mind.

just a side note my anternator went out last night had to hv her towed due to ice coming in and it being on side of rd where there alot of wrecks anyway. And it is the ac pulley makin noise. Is that a pulley that can just be tighten?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

there have been 700rwhp v6's that run 10 second quarter mile times. You can do it, its expensive, but if thats your goal its possible.

It all depends on what YOU want out of the car (realistically... re read that ... realistically). As you mod a car more and more it becomes less streetable, less reliable, and more costly to upkeep... its a side effect that you can not avoid.

I personally would not put a v8 in a car that has some value as it will destroy its value. If a v8 is what you want save up and sell the car and buy one.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang