SSS Terminator + Nino Dual Exhaust Kit OR Mac Dual Cat Back? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
SSS Terminator + Nino Dual Exhaust Kit OR Mac Dual Cat Back?

After hearing several set ups in person and online I've made up my mind on one of these 2 set ups for my 2009 v6. I've heard the Mac dual cat backs and I love it but I have not been able to find any info on the SSS Terminator with a dual exhaust kit; I love them on the GT's but has anyone tried this set up yet?

I'm not looking for performance increase here just some nice sound. The power upgrade will come from gears&tloc/pulley when I get to it =)

Also any tips on a solid CAI? I've been looking at the C&L or maybe the Airaid.
AggieMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: SSS Terminator + Nino Dual Exhaust Kit OR Mac Dual Cat Back?

+1 on the macs, nothing on the terminators never heard em:dunno:
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Well, I'm not too sure about the exhaust, being that I don't own a 05-09 v6. But I will say one thing to keep in mind is that some, if not most CAI's for the 05+ mustangs require a tune after install. I think the BBK CAI doesn't require one, but the C&L and many others do.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Well, I'm not too sure about the exhaust, being that I don't own a 05-09 v6. But I will say one thing to keep in mind is that some, if not most CAI's for the 05+ mustangs require a tune after install. I think the BBK CAI doesn't require one, but the C&L and many others do.
+1 on the BBK, no tune needed.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by big show 98 View Post
+1 on the macs, nothing on the terminators never heard em:dunno:
Thanks your comment made my decision final! I just placed the order for the Macs I'm stoked! It was a better deal and I have yet to read anything bad about them the SSS are rather new to the market in comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yes TY I realized that after some reading. I see some of the cheaper CAI's don't require the tuning but is there a significant yield in the ones that do like the C&L? By that I mean big enough to justify spending 2x or 3x more for one that requires a tuner with it?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard that the decent CAI's that require a tune have been known to boost hp by 15+ after the tune. Someone had originally bought an AFE CAI that didn't require the tune and later replaced it with a Steeda that did need a tune, and they said the difference was like night and day.
C&L has received positive feedback due to its larger inlet pipe.

The 05+ CAI's are way more effective than on the 3.8/3.9's, yet the mass air sensor is more sensitive along with the computer, so that's why it is recommended that you get one that requires a tune. You may want to start a thread in the 2005-2009 mustang section to get more feedback from actual 05+ owners.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

i lover flowmaster in my opinion and if your looking for just sound no power then grab that mac Off road H pipe and combined with flowmaster and tip youll here your car caming when idling lol, its great man between 1-3 1/2 rpm your car will sound like a aggresive v8 then around 4 that v6 comes out theres no way around that but some headers will tone it down a bit, i get v8 guys complamenting my exhaust set up all the time and it was simple! anyway just my opinion keep us posted!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Option 3:
Pypes mid muffler system. Are you in college station? I don't know about hearing your car "camming" when idling with stock cams (or how that statement even makes sense) but anyway out of the two you picked I would go with Mac.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I love the flowmaster on my silverado but I don't feel the same way on what I've heard for the Mustangs, maybe I just haven't heard a good set up =(

But in any case I placed the order for the Mac cat backs but I have to wait 2-3 weeks for production

I also purchased a BBK CAI that should be coming in by Tuesday to distract me from the "WAITING" on the exhaust!

After I get those 2 in I'm going to tint the windows and black out all the lights and install rear window louvers and then I will post some pics!

Later this year I plan on under drive pulleys, gears and tlock =)

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like some a plan...you'll really love the gears/tlok, so I'd encourage those as soon as possible! Just remember to get a good tune...that's key step that shouldn't be left out.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

for the intake, if your looking for something for looks, then the bbk is the way to go. but you have to constantly clean it because of grime and dirt that gets all over it. if i were you i would go with the k&n if they make it for your year. im gonna be switchin soon to the k&n cause i hate cleaning it every other week.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

can we get an update?
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Got the BBK CAI yesterday and after I installed it I took it for a quick drive and I can hear the stock exhaust a bit louder so I can't wait for the MAC exhaust to come in!

However when I started my car this morning it began to shake a bit but I didn't think much of it then half way to work the CEL came on. I figured it might be that the clamp around the filter wasn't tight enough so I threw a 2nd one on there but I don't think it helped so I'm about to remount it and hope it doesn't throw a code again.

I hear a slight whistle when it comes back down to idle from a rev and since I've never had a CAI I can't tell if that's normal or an air leak what do y'all say? Also do y'all suggest getting a tuner I've been reading comments that say if it's running lean and I don't get it tuned it will cause some dmg in the long run and I plan to continue modding it so I know I will eventually get it should I worry about doing it now? I'd hate to dish out 350-400 bux for one right now I hadn't planned on it so soon. (maybe in may after my wallet recoups from valentines day with the gf!)?

What if I use 93 octane will that help not run lean until I can get a tuner?

I'd hate to take it off and wait until I can purchase a tuner to use it but if I risk doing any kind of unneeded dmg by doing so I will.

also my obd2 cable hasn't shipped yet =( does anyone here use OBD2 software to get diagnostic reads?

Monday I get the windows tinted and my blackout panel and tint for the lights comes in Wednesday I will post pics that night!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I remounted the intake; it was sitting about 25 degrees off center when I took it out after replacing and moving of the braces I don't think it will move much I hope that was the problem but if the CEL comes back on tomorrow I'll have to wait until Monday to get a code read.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

idk my mac CAI whistle when shifting! i have a diablo and loved it, ppl say sct is better, its like that battle between flowmasters and magnaflows its all a matter of opinion but i did have a guy tell me that he could only tune my car if i had sct so maybe not idk but i LOVE my diablo! the can tune isnt even that bad! a "can" tune is the tunes it already come with all u have to do is download it, plug it into the computer outlet under the steering wheel behind the radio and just hit 2 buttons and it downloads the "diablo" tune lol, the 93 octane is the best one, u can really feel ur car pullin! i like it!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieMustang View Post
Got the BBK CAI yesterday and after I installed it I took it for a quick drive and I can hear the stock exhaust a bit louder so I can't wait for the MAC exhaust to come in!

However when I started my car this morning it began to shake a bit but I didn't think much of it then half way to work the CEL came on. I figured it might be that the clamp around the filter wasn't tight enough so I threw a 2nd one on there but I don't think it helped so I'm about to remount it and hope it doesn't throw a code again.

I hear a slight whistle when it comes back down to idle from a rev and since I've never had a CAI I can't tell if that's normal or an air leak what do y'all say? Also do y'all suggest getting a tuner I've been reading comments that say if it's running lean and I don't get it tuned it will cause some dmg in the long run and I plan to continue modding it so I know I will eventually get it should I worry about doing it now? I'd hate to dish out 350-400 bux for one right now I hadn't planned on it so soon. (maybe in may after my wallet recoups from valentines day with the gf!)?
There is a chance you are running lean because of the BBK CAI. Some vendors claim that you don't need a re-tune with the CAI, but you're not going to receive the most gains with it, and more importantly, it will outflow enough to make you run lean, potentially causing significant damage to the engine.

When you're running lean, your leading to detonation, which is where the gas explodes before the piston reaches the top of its stroke. This puts huge stress on various internals such as the rods, bearings and pistons, which I'm sure you can imagine, would lead to serious damage to your bottom end.

I'd definitely consider a tuner to solve this problem. If you don't want to re-install the stock intake, I'd go with 91 octane to ease the engine of running too lean...though this is not a permanent solution. Look into a tuner very quickly...better to spend $400 for a tuner than $4000 for an engine.

As far as the whistle, check your intake for any unplugged holes or any unwanted gaps in connections. If there aren't any, that's just the symphony of the CAI Mine has a slight whistle when accelerating, and a whooshing sound when at idle, you can hear it working.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

bored on saturday nite sonic lol?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
bored on saturday nite sonic lol?
Not at all...I love this place

I'm quite content right now...I got my car out of storage earlier today and it's sitting in my garage.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

nice man lol, just given u hard time, whats bad is at the restaurant i have a desktop that across the assembly line (where orders are out together) thats stays on mustang evolution or 3si.org (3000gt) all day long lol, so if i dont answer wuestions or ask one day i have been getting my BUTT KICKED cause that means literally didnt even have time to turn around and type lol, im with ya though i have learned so much here and actually have alot of knowledge to help ppl that dont know hardly anything at all too and i remember how frustrating that feeling was so its cool to help too lol, anything new going on?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
nice man lol, just given u hard time, whats bad is at the restaurant i have a desktop that across the assembly line (where orders are out together) thats stays on mustang evolution or 3si.org (3000gt) all day long lol, so if i dont answer wuestions or ask one day i have been getting my BUTT KICKED cause that means literally didnt even have time to turn around and type lol, im with ya though i have learned so much here and actually have alot of knowledge to help ppl that dont know hardly anything at all too and i remember how frustrating that feeling was so its cool to help too lol, anything new going on?
I'll PM ya...I don't want to have to throw a "highjacked thread" smilie on myself, lol.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I looked into tuners last night and 370ish is the bottom price everywhere (reliable) I can find for either an sct or diablo. Then another 50ish for a custom tune from bamachips or somewhere. I'm leaning towards sct over others just because that's what I see most common and the dyno place near my house supports sct for the future.

AM gives a free custom tune with purchase which i've heard arn't as aggressive as one from say brenspeed or bamachips but I'll throw 50 bux for one of those as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #22

Region: Idaho
Thumbs up Re: SSS Terminator + Nino Dual Exhaust Kit OR Mac Dual Cat Back?

Quote:
I looked into tuners last night and 370ish is the bottom price everywhere (reliable) I can find for either an sct or diablo. Then another 50ish for a custom tune from bamachips or somewhere. I'm leaning towards sct over others just because that's what I see most common and the dyno place near my house supports sct for the future.

AM gives a free custom tune with purchase which i've heard arn't as aggressive as one from say brenspeed or bamachips but I'll throw 50 bux for one of those as well.
All though I have an 2007 GT I really like my 91 race tune from Brenspeed, their performance tunes are awesome, great products and customer service , someone you might consider for your tunes , this is coming from a very satisfied customer
Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yah definitely consider custom places like Brenspeed, BamaChips, and VMP Tuning. They take the time to make custom tunes you want. I haven't heard too much about Brenspeed, but I've heard very good things about BamaChips, no disappointments there, and great things about VMP Tuning...Justin does an amazing job with v6's.

American Muscle is a great place, but I'm not too sure I'd go through them for a tuner. They usually sell "canned" tuners, or tuners will pre-loaded tunes on them. General tunes that don't do too much for your car, since it's not custom to your car. So, as you said, it's worth it to spend the extra money and get what you want.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Go with Bamas race tune.You will love it.Do not.....I repeat,do not get a tune from AM.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Excellent thanks for all the tips everyone! I'm going to probably go with VMP and in the summer when I get my gears and t-lock I'm gonna get it dynod.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I remounted the intake last night and I went to get some food and the intake seemed to have a nice whistle to it when i revved it more so then before so I'm thinking there WAS an air leak at the filter clamp either way I didn't drive it enough for a good run to test if the CEL would turn back on though I will later tonight.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

*Edit* I forgot to mention, this morning when I turned my car on the rpm fluctuated from like 700 to 1200ish and then it fell to 500 it felt like it was about to die so I gave it a little gas and all was well. It almost felt like I had a carb under the hood lol .*Edit*

Drove it for a few hours today w/o a CEL coming back on. I was at about 1/4 tank when I began to feel a kind of kick something I'd never felt it do before. It only did it around 1800-2000 rpm and I couldn't tell where it was coming from exactly but it kind of felt like a kick after I would press the gas pedal down when in that rpm range. There was a brief moment in between me pressing down the gas pedal a bit and the "kick" happening. I don't think it's engine knock or pinging it sounds more like a thump and feels like a yank or a kick. It felt like the transmission; the lighter I tapped the pedal it got lighter and it was a softer kick but I could still hear it/feel it. Any ideas? It was only doing it within those rpm ranges.

I ran it with 89 with no CEL light and I filled her up on 93 and it felt a little peppier no CEL either and I drove home a good 1.5 hours so I'm keeping my fingers cross until my VMP tunes come in with my sct!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

automatic?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

yes.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

So my obd II cable and software came in today but I only had a short time to fiddle with it however I did conclude that I'm running lean and the computer is compensating by upwards of 20% fuel increase to the amount of air taking in not to mention the vehicle shakes at idle and re-learning fuel trim didn't help any but it did make for an interesting data log. The kick is also the lag between certain gear changes caused by the bogged down response from the lean mix SOOO I'm going to drive my truck until my tuner gets here Monday to be on the safe side!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
So my obd II cable and software came in today but I only had a short time to fiddle with it however I did conclude that I'm running lean and the computer is compensating by upwards of 20% fuel increase to the amount of air taking in not to mention the vehicle shakes at idle and re-learning fuel trim didn't help any but it did make for an interesting data log. The kick is also the lag between certain gear changes caused by the bogged down response from the lean mix SOOO I'm going to drive my truck until my tuner gets here Monday to be on the safe side!
Dang new- fangled technology.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Took some pictures of what I've done so far. Only the beginning of much to come!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

^^^Looks good. I like the tinted tails and turn signals...really makes the car look sleek.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for. I didn't think the pain on tint would look as good as it does. I spent 2 hours doing it but I was very meticulous and detailed so I had no pain drip; I didn't want to go overkill and black it out completely.

My gal wants to buy me side window louvers but I just don't think they suite my cars look anymore what do you think? I am however going to go with some new tires and wheels as soon as I get the gears and t-lock in this summer although I say that now and I'll end up splurging my tax return prematurely haha.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for. I didn't think the pain on tint would look as good as it does. I spent 2 hours doing it but I was very meticulous and detailed so I had no pain drip; I didn't want to go overkill and black it out completely.

My gal wants to buy me side window louvers but I just don't think they suite my cars look anymore what do you think? I am however going to go with some new tires and wheels as soon as I get the gears and t-lock in this summer although I say that now and I'll end up splurging my tax return prematurely haha.
Depends on the louvers. If they're the smaller slatted ones that just fill in the quarter window, you could probably put them on and it'd look good...they're subtle enough. Now if you're talking about the larger c-pillar louvers similar to the 60's shelby style with the scoop on them, I'd balance them out with a hood scoop or larger hood. They look odd without something else on the car. I also think you need some beefier wheels if you have those louvers to level the car out so it doesn't look top heavy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust