Update "what ya think" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Update "what ya think"

well i was excited and overly confident the other day and it bit me in the ***! sonicpony thinks for not telln anyone but i have decied to let everybody know that i might a huge mistake and took some wrong advice and my stang is donw AGAIN, shes down hard too! as yall know i been havin alot of trouble with her ever since the supercharger was installed! i trusted another mechanic who i feel is more knowledgable than me and he meade a wrong call..it happens no hard feelings, anyway as i told yall i swapped the heads cause the rocker arms and sheving in the heads as i was told,he said he didnt have a certain tool so it would be better to buy some heads and swap out everything, like i said hes certified and i know what i know but not as much as him i would assume! anyway i been hallering rod bearing form the beging and was convienced other wise so i believe it cause hes certified! well we did all that work spent all that money and everything was awesome we fire it up and it cranked smooth engine didnt even move just fired and made no noise, well we drove it around the parkn lot and thats when i posted my progress, well after that it was time to cruise, i wasnt gonna get on her cause we just did work i was gonna ease into it! well didnt even get that far, i got far enough down the road to be screwed! it started knocking like hell and smoking and rattling and the turn i took to get back i got stuck in traffic and it was bad, she knocked LOUD but only when i hit the gas and she died down a few times but she cranked back up im very upsat physically and emotionally, im forreal man i have spent 3 years modding this car and proving alot of ppl wrong and now shes on her death bed idk what the problem is! any advice guys (no bull**** and no stabs at the mechanic) i need real advice! it only makes that noisy when she gets warmed up and only when i hit the gas? i havent checked rod bearing yet but ofcourse were gonna change them and ofcourse machined crankshaft if need be! aight brothas i gottA put my baby together and i want it done right! well there it is i was embarrased to say anything after posting the comment about he fired up and the tires burning then 30min later she almost dead! well hit me up on what u think it could be im lost and open to advice!
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Update "what ya think"

Sorry to hear that man. I guess the best thing to do is start on that 4.2 project.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Agreed. As much as I'd hate to say it...but that 3.9 has been through a lot, and it might have reached its limits...time to upgrade!
4.2 as big show suggested, or even go big and drop a 4.6 in there...I think that vortech would work with a bracket.

Either way, hang in there man, don't give up now, not this far in!

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00

you said it was knocking loud sounds like your cams not get oil on them or you have water coming in
Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
well i was excited and overly confident the other day and it bit me in the ***! sonicpony thinks for not telln anyone but i have decied to let everybody know that i might a huge mistake and took some wrong advice and my stang is donw AGAIN, shes down hard too! as yall know i been havin alot of trouble with her ever since the supercharger was installed! i trusted another mechanic who i feel is more knowledgable than me and he meade a wrong call..it happens no hard feelings, anyway as i told yall i swapped the heads cause the rocker arms and sheving in the heads as i was told,he said he didnt have a certain tool so it would be better to buy some heads and swap out everything, like i said hes certified and i know what i know but not as much as him i would assume! anyway i been hallering rod bearing form the beging and was convienced other wise so i believe it cause hes certified! well we did all that work spent all that money and everything was awesome we fire it up and it cranked smooth engine didnt even move just fired and made no noise, well we drove it around the parkn lot and thats when i posted my progress, well after that it was time to cruise, i wasnt gonna get on her cause we just did work i was gonna ease into it! well didnt even get that far, i got far enough down the road to be screwed! it started knocking like hell and smoking and rattling and the turn i took to get back i got stuck in traffic and it was bad, she knocked LOUD but only when i hit the gas and she died down a few times but she cranked back up im very upsat physically and emotionally, im forreal man i have spent 3 years modding this car and proving alot of ppl wrong and now shes on her death bed idk what the problem is! any advice guys (no bull**** and no stabs at the mechanic) i need real advice! it only makes that noisy when she gets warmed up and only when i hit the gas? i havent checked rod bearing yet but ofcourse were gonna change them and ofcourse machined crankshaft if need be! aight brothas i gottA put my baby together and i want it done right! well there it is i was embarrased to say anything after posting the comment about he fired up and the tires burning then 30min later she almost dead! well hit me up on what u think it could be im lost and open to advice!
Figured a post like this would come up sooner or later. I also find it odd how you do these mysterious repairs to your car in one day, and never post pictures but thats another story.

Either find a used short block and swap it over, or rebuild your stock engine. Those are your only options here. Just for your information "certified" doesn't really mean much in the mechanic world, it just looks good on paper. Its the same with having a "computer science" degree, I'm going to have a paper from a 4 year college and I know some people who haven't ever seen the inside of a college class room that could program circles around me.

Anyway maybe you'll listen now.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

what do u mean listen? u need to listen the post specifcly said no stabs at the mechanic! anyway thanks to you guys up there! i been pondering this whole thing since it all went bad! i know i can do this i just gotta have patience and motivation! and its bad timing too, the restaurant busuness does horrible in jan and i own a restaurnat and my paycheck comes off bottom line and right now it aint lookn good! damn new years resolution to lose weight lol, that junks costs me so much money i hate it cause ppl dont eat out when there on a diet! anyway so im actually havin to put money in the year to keep it going (thanks obama) cause taxes went up on me! anyway sorry about that just venting....maybe this is a good thing, i been wanting to build a solid foundation on here so i can do some crazy HP/TQ one day and maybe this is my chance! i just feel sick man i cant believe all the hard work and time gone just over one bad call! what u guys think 4.2 or 4.6?
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Personally, I'd go with the 4.6, but I'm a v8 guy...as soon as this 3.8 takes a **** (which shouldn't be for a while with 56k on it), a v8's going in. But I love that v8 sound and feel. No matter what you do to a v6, it's still going to sound like a zipper, but that's just my opinion.

You do have a few options. You could build the 4.2 and throw on the vortech.
But then you could take a stock 4.6 (from a donor car) and put it in, or stroke one, and then throw on the vortech and really make some power. Either way I'd go with forged internals, the power you'd be making in either situation is enough to warrant that.

It's your call, either way it's going to take more time and cost more money, straight up facts. I wouldn't call the time and money you spent a total waste, (as frustrating as it is), it's more of a learning process. If you do decide to go with another engine, I'd try and salvage what you can from the 3.9, either use what you can or sell parts to recoup costs.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yea man i agree, tell me more on what exactly i need to do to drop a 4.6 in there? ppl say it cost more than the whole gt car its self! i dont believe that i think i need trans, engine, harness, ecu......what else sonic? once again im not open to bull**** so save it everyone...sonicpony has the floor

Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Personally, I'd go with the 4.6, but I'm a v8 guy...as soon as this 3.8 takes a **** (which shouldn't be for a while with 56k on it), a v8's going in. But I love that v8 sound and feel. No matter what you do to a v6, it's still going to sound like a zipper, but that's just my opinion.

You do have a few options. You could build the 4.2 and throw on the vortech.
But then you could take a stock 4.6 (from a donor car) and put it in, or stroke one, and then throw on the vortech and really make some power. Either way I'd go with forged internals, the power you'd be making in either situation is enough to warrant that.

It's your call, either way it's going to take more time and cost more money, straight up facts. I wouldn't call the time and money you spent a total waste, (as frustrating as it is), it's more of a learning process. If you do decide to go with another engine, I'd try and salvage what you can from the 3.9, either use what you can or sell parts to recoup costs.
Doing a 4.6 2v swap is a waste in almost everybody's eyes. Unless you can meet two requirements which are: Doing all the work for the swap yourself, and getting a cheap donor car. Also the 3.8 is much more user friendly, and by that I mean most novice shade tree mechanics (high school kids included) can work on the 3.8: its OHV, there is plenty of room in the engine bay, etc. On the other hand you want long tube headers on a GT its a complete pain in the behind to do the work, you need 2 cams instead of 1, if you degree one of those cams off JUST A LITTLE you have a serious problem, even the vortech kit is more complicated and makes pulley/belt changes ridiculous.

Quote:
what do u mean listen? u need to listen the post specifcly said no stabs at the mechanic! anyway thanks to you guys up there! i been pondering this whole thing since it all went bad! i know i can do this i just gotta have patience and motivation! and its bad timing too, the restaurant busuness does horrible in jan and i own a restaurnat and my paycheck comes off bottom line and right now it aint lookn good! damn new years resolution to lose weight lol, that junks costs me so much money i hate it cause ppl dont eat out when there on a diet! anyway so im actually havin to put money in the year to keep it going (thanks obama) cause taxes went up on me! anyway sorry about that just venting....maybe this is a good thing, i been wanting to build a solid foundation on here so i can do some crazy HP/TQ one day and maybe this is my chance! i just feel sick man i cant believe all the hard work and time gone just over one bad call! what u guys think 4.2 or 4.6?
I would say 4.2, or sell the car to buy a GT. I'm just not a fan on the 2v GT, one of my friends flew down to Florida during his summer break and left me his for almost a month (full bolt ons/3.73s) and It just doesn't make me happy. Maybe its being used to riding in z28/trans-ams I'm not sure but anyway. The choice is ultimately up to you, and your pocket book.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yea man i agree, tell me more on what exactly i need to do to drop a 4.6 in there? ppl say it cost more than the whole gt car its self! i dont believe that i think i need trans, engine, harness, ecu......what else sonic? once again im not open to bull**** so save it everyone...sonicpony has the floor
Might as well stay true to the game. Go with the 4.2. The v8 conversion isn't that bad but by the time you purchase a engine,trans,computer,wiring harness,rad,fan,hydra boost,fuel lines,dash cluster etc you can by a cheap hard top GT. With the streak of luck your having stay with the V6. Can the vortech & spend a little change @ supersixmotorsports & add some juice. When you do a conversion, you need to have your head in the game, all your homework done, & parts available. If decide to go V8 pm me & I'll give you the rundown on it.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
Doing a 4.6 2v swap is a waste in almost everybody's eyes. Unless you can meet two requirements which are: Doing all the work for the swap yourself, and getting a cheap donor car. Also the 3.8 is much more user friendly, and by that I mean most novice shade tree mechanics (high school kids included) can work on the 3.8: its OHV, there is plenty of room in the engine bay, etc. On the other hand you want long tube headers on a GT its a complete pain in the behind to do the work, you need 2 cams instead of 1, if you degree one of those cams off JUST A LITTLE you have a serious problem, even the vortech kit is more complicated and makes pulley/belt changes ridiculous.
It's not a waste if you're just doing it for a project. There are plenty of guys who have done 2v v8 swaps before, it's not impossible. I will say that there are conditions in which you should and shouldn't do it:
1) If you have the time and money and want to make it a project, then yes, why not. (I would see this as Zeb's situation)
2) If you just bought a v6 mustang, and realized that you're not satisfied with the performance, then no, it is way more practical to sell the v6 and buy a v8 car

I would rather spend the extra time and money and drop a v8 into my car when the 3.8 goes out because the body is in such good shape. I have looked at quite a few mustangs recently and none of them were near the condition mine is exterior wise, and some were newer with fewer miles.

As far as difficulty of working on the engine...2 cams or 1, if you're not sure what you are doing, then you shouldn't be working on the car, plain and simple. A novice mechanic is going to have just as many problems on a 3.8 as a 4.6 if he doesn't understand the basic concepts of an engine and isn't educated/experienced or mechanically inclined. To do work such as cams and engine rebuilding, it is better to educate yourself on that particular engine in addition to the general experience you may have.

I see way more modded 2v v8's, and when I say modded, I mean engine mods: H/C/I, than v6's. So, they can't be too much of a pain, if that was the case, nobody would mod the hell out of them, nor would the aftermarket base be so popular.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
It's not a waste if you're just doing it for a project. There are plenty of guys who have done 2v v8 swaps before, it's not impossible. I will say that there are conditions in which you should and shouldn't do it:
1) If you have the time and money and want to make it a project, then yes, why not. (I would see this as Zeb's situation)
2) If you just bought a v6 mustang, and realized that you're not satisfied with the performance, then no, it is way more practical to sell the v6 and buy a v8 car

I would rather spend the extra time and money and drop a v8 into my car when the 3.8 goes out because the body is in such good shape. I have looked at quite a few mustangs recently and none of them were near the condition mine is exterior wise, and some were newer with fewer miles.

As far as difficulty of working on the engine...2 cams or 1, if you're not sure what you are doing, then you shouldn't be working on the car, plain and simple. A novice mechanic is going to have just as many problems on a 3.8 as a 4.6 if he doesn't understand the basic concepts of an engine and isn't educated/experienced or mechanically inclined. To do work such as cams and engine rebuilding, it is better to educate yourself on that particular engine in addition to the general experience you may have.

I see way more modded 2v v8's, and when I say modded, I mean engine mods: H/C/I, than v6's. So, they can't be too much of a pain, if that was the case, nobody would mod the hell out of them, nor would the aftermarket base be so popular.
Give a novice mechanic a set of long tubes for both cars, and see which one he gets done quicker. Anyway of course you see more modded 2v's because there is a huge market for them, and people have been trying to beat the LS/LT 1 since the 2v GT came out thus needing mods.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So, they can't be too much of a pain, if that was the case, nobody would mod the hell out of them, nor would the aftermarket base be so popular.
Quote:
Anyway of course you see more modded 2v's because there is a huge market for them, and people have been trying to beat the LS/LT 1 since the 2v GT came out thus needing mods.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

2v v8 isn't that hard to work on
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
It has a name behind it, parts are going to sell for it regardless if its the best platform or not.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It has a name behind it, parts are going to sell for it regardless if its the best platform or not.
Not necessarily true but that's alright...I've given up, I'll take beating the dead horse...it'll be much more productive...I know many others on other forums have said the same thing.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

havin problems sonic LOL

Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
havin problems sonic LOL
Not anymore

Old 01-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

oh snap your staff now lol, cool man Good job stay at it bro, im sorry if its been like that i just noticed it! man u came up:thumbs2: it looks good man! so bro im gonna get a 4.2 i think! just build it up.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
oh snap your staff now lol, cool man Good job stay at it bro, im sorry if its been like that i just noticed it! man u came up:thumbs2: it looks good man! so bro im gonna get a 4.2 i think! just build it up.
Thanks man, I was "made" yesterday lol, I'm really excited about it.
Going with the 4.2 eh, who you going through, supersixmotorsports?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

4.2 swaps aren't Totally fool proof either. Mine is a huge pain in the *** so far. And fairly pricey too.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

this i have heard which kinda scared me away! i thought it was simple then read up on it? whats your malfuntions?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Only way its close to fool proof is buying it complete from intake to oil pan.... but if i were you, I would take it to a good speed shop.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

or read up on what they read and require the knowledge and DIY and save $$$$$$

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang