oxygen sensor/ harness - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #1

oxygen sensor/ harness

so my 99 mustang has been lowered and sometime along the way the harness that connects the ox sensors had been broken. well when it broke the connector started dragging on the ground so now I have a ox sensor plugged in the cat and then I have the harness wires sticking out with no pigtail connector on it anymore because the asphalt wore it down to bare wires. Any suggestions on what I should try to do to fix this? my gas mileage has gone out the window so I need a fix asap. can I hardwire them together? and what would be the color code for that? I NEED HELP!!! thanks
sullystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: oxygen sensor/ harness

Either buy a new one from napa/autozone/o'reillys/advance or get one from a salvage yard.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #3

buy what? and how do I hook it up? the problem is the connector from the harness is broken off so I cant hook the connector on the ox sensor up so what do you think I should do about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

You're gonna have to buy a new connector and wire it into the harness. I'd also suggest finding a way to keep the wires out of harm's way at all costs.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #5

any guess where I could buy a connector and a wiring diagram to know what wires to use? most shops around here are quoting like 400 to do this so Im trying to save some money and do it myself so any help would be awesome, thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

as stated above.....any of the local parts house will work! you can also buy a chiltons or haynes book, that will give you the wireing diagram.
outlawfrog is probably right
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawfrog View Post
I might pull an "osirisguy", and make that my new sig quote!
outlawfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullystang View Post
any guess where I could buy a connector and a wiring diagram to know what wires to use? most shops around here are quoting like 400 to do this so Im trying to save some money and do it myself so any help would be awesome, thanks!
Buy one from a junk yard. Leave enough wiring to connect it to the orginal harness. Then get some tie wraps & get the wires off of the ground.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #8

most aftermarket O2 sensors (universal ones) come with a new watertight plug and instructions on wire color connections,,I know the universal Bosch sensors come with instructions
mybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

Getting a universal one is probably your only option. Finding just a pig tail for a wire harness is really hard. The shop where I work has never been able to get one. The dealerships all want to sell you an entire engine harness and then you're looking at upwards of $400. Either junkyard one and hope they either don't care or don't know you ruined the harness, or get a universal one and wire it to your existing wires.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big show 98 View Post
Buy one from a junk yard. Leave enough wiring to connect it to the orginal harness. Then get some tie wraps & get the wires off of the ground.
I'd say this is your best bet. You can go up to any similar year Mustang, get under the car and snip off the harness and some extra wiring. Should cost you only a few dollars and you will be able to match wire colors and splice them together. Additional parts needed would be some crimpers and butt connectors and some electrical tape. You can get fancy with sheathing and sodering if you want.

I would also think you can pull it from any similar year Ford as O2 sensors are usually somewhat universal in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang