3.8L swap to 3.8L NEED HELP ASAP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #1

3.8L swap to 3.8L NEED HELP ASAP

i need step by step swap instructions so i DO NOT forget to connect/bleed/tape anything. i want it just to double check. 94 3.8L V6 to a 98 3.8L V6. please and thank you

p.s. im doing this swap in about 11 hours so please hurry
john_carpenter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: 3.8L swap to 3.8L help

um someone im sure will be helpng u in a min but can i ask why the same engine? why not a 99-4 v6? 99-04 v6 cam with split port heads thats why they have about 30 hp xtra! anyway just wondering not knocking u hell i could be wrong about something lol! im gonna google some stuff and ask around real quick and see what i can find for ya bro! we most def can get u through this
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #3

Re: 3.8L swap to 3.8L help

god i love ppl on mustang forums theyre some of the most helpful polite people ive ever met. i had a nissan 240sx and those forums were all vulger and somewhat immature. and im putting in the same engine cuz right now im just using it as a daily driver. im 17 and i bought the car for 600 bucks and it had what i thought was a lifter knock. well living in minnesota, the weather conditions just ended up making it worse. go figure. well one day driving to school it finally snapped and i realized i now have a snapped piston rod haha. story of my life right? so right now im just dropping in the v6 again just to get it running again, but in my search for help today i did discover the info about the split port heads, and when i do do a better swap, im going straight for that. right now i just need it back on the road, working one job, trying for two with a girlfriend who goes to college an hour away. thank you alot though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: 3.8L swap to 3.8L NEED HELP ASAP

with the situation you just told us i think your doing the right thing so it will all go alot smoother and quicker. good luck man and you can switch those heads down the road sometime when times are better
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #5

again, the positivity helps alot, seeing as i have to do this swap by myself outside in the snow. lol
Old 01-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado

First things first, get yourself a good repair manual. I would get a Chilton manual, but the Haynes are good also. I did a similar swap in a 97 Civic and It was a pain in the ***, but just take your time. Get it in a garage and get someone who knows cars to help you (doing it outside by yourself is a bad idea). Make sure you have all the tools, rags, fluids, cleaners and everything you need before you start anything. Good Luck!
Current Mods: SCT 4 Bank Chip, K&N CAI, 25% UDP, ZEX 75 Wet Shot, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Autolite XP Iridium Plugs, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, 3.73 Rear Gear, Ford Racing T-Lok, 18x9 Saleen Chrome Rims Front, 18x10 Saleen Chrome Rims Rear w/Nitto 555R Drag Radials (Track).
SonicBlueV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #7

tools check. rags check. fluids half check. cleaners?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Engine degreaser, brake cleaner, penetrating oil, electrical cleaner and parts cleaner. Oh, and don't forget hand cleaner, You'll need it.
Current Mods: SCT 4 Bank Chip, K&N CAI, 25% UDP, ZEX 75 Wet Shot, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Autolite XP Iridium Plugs, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, 3.73 Rear Gear, Ford Racing T-Lok, 18x9 Saleen Chrome Rims Front, 18x10 Saleen Chrome Rims Rear w/Nitto 555R Drag Radials (Track).
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #9

ahh gotchya. yeah got those too. lots of go jo.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #10

so any word on a step by step? minus the chilton lol, kinda broke as of now.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_carpenter3 View Post
so any word on a step by step? minus the chilton lol, kinda broke as of now.
You will need to get the book, without it you won't be able to do it.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

One thing you might want to have before hand is a few different size pieces of vacuum hoses and some electrical tape.

Being the vehicle has some miles, and has probably had a rough life, several of the vacuum lines will be rotted (i.e. will come off in pieces) and several of the connectors will break when you attempt to unhook them. The different size pieces of vacuum line is to replace any that are cracked/broken and the electrical tape is to ensure the connectors don't come back off when you are hooking it back up.

Onto the engine, are you installing a complete engine with heads/intakes on it already? What about accessories? Anything you need to swap over just take your time with and remove/reinstall carefully.

As far as knowing what to connect where, what I find works best for me is to use a roll of tape and a sharpie (any marker will work). Whenever you start disconnecting wires wrap a piece of tape around the connector and one around where it connects. Write the same number on these pieces of tape (1,1 ; 2,2 ; 3,3 ; etc...). When it comes to hoses/vacuum lines I use numbers to correspond to these (A,A ; B,B ; C,C ; etc...). Also, grab a handful of ziplock (plastic) baggies to put nuts and bolts into and label these as to where they go (A/C condensor, alternator, upper intake, etc... ).

By using just those three easy tips you will know what connects where and what bolts go where. There is nothing worse than putting an engine back together with a bucket full of nuts and bolts, trust me, I've been there.

One more tip I'll give you is to take a handful of pictures how the current engine is in the engine bay right now. Take them from all angles and attempt to take a few during the process. This way if you forget somehow how something connects to something you have a picture to jog your memory.

If you need anything along the way just let us know and have fun !!
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #13

its a complete block i think all i have to do is throw on a few components alternator ect and a fuel rail
Old 01-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Automatic or manual trans?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #15

auto
Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

the swap will be pretty straight forward

Get the old engine out intact.. Once the old engine is out, you can compare it to the new engine and check out what needs to be swapped over

If you get the opportunity, find the torque specs for reinstalling anything you take off.. going by 'feel' takes a lot of practice and even than can still be inaccurate

My best bit of advice is get a buddy who's as sharp as you are to help you out with the swap, he might notice things that you'd done incorrectly, or where certain things/bolts/connectors go on the reinstall

Just an extra set of hands is useful, too but if he or she's sharp.. it could make life easier!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

1.relieve the fuel system pressure. 2.disconnect the negative cable from the battery. 3.remove your hood.4.remove the air cleaner assembly. 5.drain the cooling system. 6.label the vacuum lines,emissions system hoses, electrical connectors,ground wires and fuel lines and remove them 7.detach all coolant hoses from the engine. 8.remove the radiator. 9.remove the drive belts. 10.disconnect the throttle cable from the engine. 11.unbolt the power steering pump leave the lines/hoses attached and make sure the pump is kept upright. 12. unbolt the a/c compressor and set it aside DO NOT DISCONNECT THE HOSES. 13. remove the air inlet tube. 15.drain the oil and remove the filter. 16. remove the starter. 17. remove the alternator. 18. unbolt the exhaust from the manifold. 19.remove the torque converter access cover and remove the torque converter to flex plate bolts. 20.support the trans with a jack put a block of wood between them to prevent damage. 21. attach your cherry picker to the motor and take up the slack in the chain or sling but dont lift the engine. 22. remove the trans to engine bolts. 23. remove the engine mounts and recheck to make sure nothing is still connected. raise the motor and make sure the torque converter stays in the tranny

ok that was from the book now to get your fuel lines off you need a special tool to remove the lines, on my car i did not have to remove every electrical connector on the motor just unscrew the engine harness to ecu (its by the firewall on the passenger side) also on my car there really wasnt enough room between the firewall and the engine to unbolt them you might have to unbolt the trans cross member and pull the trans forward a bit to get enough room my car is 5 speed so i just unbolted the trans from the bell housing alot easier for you 5 speed guys doing this this is not a hard engine to swap i had my engine out in about 2 hours i might be forgetting some things but if there is and i remember i will let you know
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

anybody noticed how when a newbie is hitting the "thanks" button everytime we post everyone swarms in LOL! you learned quick how to get some answers around here i LOVE it lol, i hope u stick around alot of newbies get the answer they need and never come back! anyway how we lookign so far champ? confidence is a key! i see now ur not doinf this for performance so i understand alot better now on why ur not upgrading....600 was a still a good deal even though it had a knock! seems like u got what u needed sorry i been at work all day so im pretty much just checkin how things going? and in the snow bro> if its one thing i know about gear heads we hate the cold lol! nothing says OUCH like a solid cold knuckle busting open on a intake manifold lol
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #19

ha thanks for checkin. and the thing is, the car and engine are at my buddys house and we were gonna dolly the car to mine along with the engine in the truck, but we cant use the dolly here for another couple days so i have a bit more time than i thought initially. and hey i wouldnt use the thanks button if i didnt see fit lol
Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

stop by to see whats going on?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #21

dumb question but im gonna yank the old ac compressor off the old engine and bolt it onto the new and i know its a waste of weight but yeah, how exactly do i take that off without having compressor fluid go everywhere givin everyone cancer and whatnot.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

take it to a shop and have it done.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_carpenter3 View Post
dumb question but im gonna yank the old ac compressor off the old engine and bolt it onto the new and i know its a waste of weight but yeah, how exactly do i take that off without having compressor fluid go everywhere givin everyone cancer and whatnot.
idk but i made that mistake when installing my vortech....i made it rain on dem hos

Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #24

haha yeah dude im broke the shop im taking it to is my driveway in the snow. oh yeah. "this is how we do it" and as far as the ac compressor goes, **** it.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

ive always just unbolted the lines from the compressor slow i never use a/c n e way thats what windows are for lol
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Well there are two ways to do it if I remember correctly (note: I've never done it so check the proper manual on actual procedure, or rather I may be off on the procedure). There's the illegal way and just vent the gas into the atmosphere OR you can probably go to Advance Auto or O'Rielly's and get the proper equipment (usually some type of hose and canister) and vent the refrigent into that. During the summer you always see they refrigent on sale and the equipment for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #27

ahh alright sounds like a plan thanks for the a/c tip. and dude windows were made for a reason and ive always thought that lol. besides who actually needs that extra 20 lbs ha
Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

well windows have always been for the habitual farter who can not stand there own smell lol...nah i rather have windows down anyday over AC! thats just how i roll son

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang