Get gears or stick-in a shift kit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Get gears or stick-in a shift kit?

I have been reading reviews, and I want your guy's opinion on my next upgrade. I'll have a 2002 V6, true duals (Flowmaster Super 40s) and a CAI kit. Everything else is stock. Do you think I would notice the most performace from a shift-kit or from 4.10 rear gears?

My personal desire would be for faster acceleration and faster shifts. Top-speed isn't as much of a concern because I live in suburbia and I don't like paying $175 speeding tickets. I know shift-kits will make the car shift faster, but I also read from a former Ford engineer that they cut corners and can be really bad for the car. I want the car to last and not be harmed by this mod.

I am leaning towards the gears because performance is increased throughout the entire power band abd not just the shifts, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

Also, for the shift kit, do you recommend buying a kit from a manufacturer like TransGO, or should I just find a shop to do the Jerry-mod (can you even do the Jerry-Mod on a v6?).

Or, is there a better mod that gives more performance out there? Again, I only have the exhaust upgrade and a CAI. I can't really use underdrive pulleys because I'm powering a high-current amp and can't really afford to lose power.

Thanks for any help.
AirBrontosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Get gears or stick-in a shift kit?

I also have a 02 V6 automatic. To fix my shifts I had a SCT chip burned and let's just say it firmed up the shifts like I never thought it would. It'll break loose into 2nd at 6 grand and chirp into 3rd. But..if you're already thinking about gears, get gears, then get a chip to correct your speedo and have them change your shift points as well.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I would not install a manual valve body shift kit (one that you have to drop the tranny pan to install) unless I was willing to take the risk that they can bring. If installed right they are great, if installed wrong you are looking at a new tranny....

I would get a tune from a VERY GOOD TUNER (which we have on the site) they can help the shifts a ton.

Gears are AMAZING, but they are NOT easy to install, sure they are easy if the installer knows what they are doing... but most simply stick them in... they are far more complicated to install than that.

If you do gears its the EXACT same amount of work to install a Tlok unit, so get one and dont pay but a tad extra if any for the tlok install with the gears, literally you could take your tlok and sit it down and pick up the stock unit and the installers would have done no more work...

You are looking at a .3 reduction in acceleration and times~ overall~ I love my gears, but you will lose a bit of gas milage, most of which can be made back up with a UDP, CAI, and exhaust.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, thanks.

Now... this "Tlok" (Traction-Lok, I assume)... how does it help performance, and how MUCH does it help performance? I know it distributes power to the rear wheels, but is it really necessary? Also, how is this different from a torque converter, and which one would be a better chioce?

I have read the Ford OEM T-loks are good choices to put in, however I can only seem to find them for the 8.8 inch axle. Do they make these for the 7.5 inch axle, or do I need to change mine?

Also, if a chip is satisfactory in changing my shift points, what is the cheapest one that can do this? I don't plan on doing any real major engine work, and it seems rather lucrative to spend $350-$500 on a tuner that I plug into my OBD port once and then put in the glove compartment. Is there any way to "rent" one for one tune, or do I pretty much need to bite the bullet and buy one?

Finally, does anyone know of any good installation shops in the Indianapolis area (particularly the northeast side?). All I've been able to find is the CarX/Midas/Meinke/AAMCO stores, but I would like to find a mom-and-pop sort of place to do the more difficult work.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

As far as the t-lok. Right now you have an open differential, power is put to the ground via one wheel (the passenger one). When you floor it or try to do a burnout, you spin that one tire. With a t-lok, the power is put between both rear tires for better traction while launching and also gives you the ability to do dual rear wheel burnouts lol.

And as far as a tuner goes, I'd recommend talking to the sponsors on this site who do tuning/chips. vmptuning.com is one I can think of off the top of my head. They do SCT chips and tuners.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Stick a set of 4.10 gears and a T-lok in her. Best bang for the buck. I have the DiabloSport Preditor, but I recommend the SCT. You can have them preload 3 levels of tune in it.
03YellowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

4.10 gears and tlok unit from FORD (not richmond or what ever, oem ford (ford racing)) www.gefracing.com may still be cheap not sure (they are a good place to order from if the price is good)

the install is KEY pay extra for a better install, many shops fudge the install up and you get whine or rear end failure. I would expect to pay 300-400 bucks for a good install. Get a warranty in WRITING, they may blame it on you "racing" your car and messing up the rear and so forth so be prepared.

For the speedometer you can get a speedcal from dallasmustangs (quite possibly) so check to see if your year will work with it(as well as your tranny type)

mine works with it and its great.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
PCD

Region: Iowa

I have a V6 T-bird. I did the JMod valve body. I'm quite happy with it. I also put in a transmission cooler, which I highly recommend.

You can get a TLoc in the 7.5. I have one, but I'd get 3.45 gears for it. I have 3.27s. I'm looking to go to an 8.8 with 3.55s. I have the gears, but not the pumpkin with the TLock. I am considering a Detroit Locker or an Auburn unit.
PCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if you upgrade gears upgrade to 4.10s for auto and 3.73 for manual or dont waste your money.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

Definately 4.10 for a 99 up auto.

I started with 3.73's and the 4.10's are much better.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, thanks for all the replies.

My local shop said that they could do the rear differential gears and TLok install (just the install. I'd buy the parts) for about $150-$200. I know you said this is low, but they do really excellent work and, for some reason, always charge less than the compeditors (its a mom-and-pop type shop). Even with a warranty, should I steer clear or take my chances?

For a baseline comparison, they just installed my dual Flowmasters for $120 total. That INCLUDED the pipes, bending the exhaust and tail pipes, installation, labor, and all the hooks and stuff. All i brought were the mufflers. Is it possible that they just have great rates, or should I still be cautious?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I paid 168 for my rear install and its perfect. It all depends on the shop. Go in there and ask them what they do for the mustangs and ask them how they set the following:

Crush sleeve
backlash
pinion depth
wear pattern

see how they respond, talk to the installer not the guy behind the counter. If they know what those are and have a way to check those your good (not always have to inspect the wear pattern but its good to do)

and get a warranty for whine/breakage in writing!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I paid a local race shop $250. But they did the bearings, gears and T-lok. Another shop wanted $600. Thats' "book rate". You're getting a deal and a half!
Old 02-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

That is true but... i would MUCH rather pay 600 dollars for a good installation than 250 for a crappy install that is going to have to be redone and you know you will wind up having to fight the shop for EVER to get them to replace the parts...
Old 02-04-2006, 12:24 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That's why I went to a race shop. I trust them. The funny thing is, the shop that quoted me $600 was really kinda standoffish about the job. That and the price was why I RAN, not walked away.
And the race shop is also where I have my car dynoed. But then again, they have the ONLY chasis dyno in the county.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

OK, so now I need to ask, which parts do I need for this install. I have the stock 7.5 in axle and regular (single tire) differential. I see some kits on eBay that include the 4.10 gears, the traction lok, AND a master bearing kit with sleeves, bearings and other goodies. Do I need a new master bearing kit too, or is this just bells and whistles? If they are required, then $400 seems liek a good deal for brand new gears, TLok and bearings. however, if they aren't necessary, then I'll look elsewhere.

Also, is there any danger of me damaging my 7.5 in axle? I am not going to do any major drag racing or anything, but I would like to take off from a dead stop every once in a while. I have been looking at the 8.8 GT takeoff axles, and they are a little more expensive, but they have the TLok built in and I would have to damage my car and have to replace the axle anyways. Again, it would probably not get stressed that often, but if it's borderline then I'd rather be safe than sorry. My only other mod is dual exhausts, so I'm not pushing a lot of extra power at all.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

First off the 7.5 is a good rear end, the weak point is the spider gears in the Tlok unit. They will break eventually if you abuse them enough. If you do not plan to go to the track and only plan to be no the street chances are you will be prefectly fine with a 7.5 inch rear end. That just has to be your call.

Do not EVER buy used EVER its simply not worth the risk EVER dont do it, you may save a few but in the end if they break and you have to go an do it right all over again you will be out more than a new 8.8 would have cost you. How do I know this???? I did it... I put in used parts and my rear end broke... and I wound up investing over a grand in a 7.5 rear end to finally do it right, as it should have been done in the first place.

Use ford racing (ford brand) rear end gears and a ford racing Tlok unit (or an auburn posi, but not really needed for street use) Many places can get these parts, www.gefracing.com www.downsford.com not sure who is best so research it. Pay a bit more for a reputable company though vs a shady place. Check our vendors as well.

The bearings you are asking about: the pinion has a bearing an the Tlok has two bearings, the metal spacers are to set the tlok unit correctly in the rear end. The gears must align correctly to prevent premature gear/rear end failure, whinning noises, and many other issues. A good shop is the KEY part of it all. Expect in the end to have 600-800 invested in your car.

Gears 200~ Tlok 200 (400 for auburn) and install 200-400~

In the end you will shave off 2.5-3.0 tenths from your times with 3.73 and about a tenth more for 4.10s.

You must recalibrate your speedo, you may can just use a dallas speedcal unit dallasmustangs.com (i think is right) as me and brent used. They work great, 100 bucks.

You can also do a chip if you want one or perhaps your car can not use a speedcal and this is your only choise (custom tune and handheld tunner also included in the chip are)
Old 02-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, but do I need the bearing kit, or does my car have all the bearings/sleeves/spacers necessary already built into it?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you will need to replace the bearings, the new tlok unit and gears probably (cant remember) wont have them on them when you buy them. It runs like 60 bucks for all of the bearings. The gears from ford should have all shims needed. I would buy the gears/tlok unit and then see if you had what you needed and go from there. My shop just put bearings in for me and used the shims that came with the gears.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #20
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBrontosaurus
I have been reading reviews, and I want your guy's opinion on my next upgrade. I'll have a 2002 V6, true duals (Flowmaster Super 40s) and a Cold Air Intake kit. Everything else is stock. Do you think I would notice the most performace from a shift-kit or from 4.10 rear gears?

My personal desire would be for faster acceleration and faster shifts. Top-speed isn't as much of a concern because I live in suburbia and I don't like paying $175 speeding tickets. I know shift-kits will make the car shift faster, but I also read from a former Ford engineer that they cut corners and can be really bad for the car. I want the car to last and not be harmed by this mod.

I am leaning towards the gears because performance is increased throughout the entire power band abd not just the shifts, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

Also, for the shift kit, do you recommend buying a kit from a manufacturer like TransGO, or should I just find a shop to do the Jerry-mod (can you even do the Jerry-Mod on a v6?).

Or, is there a better mod that gives more performance out there? Again, I only have the exhaust upgrade and a Cold Air Intake. I can't really use underdrive pulleys because I'm powering a high-current amp and can't really afford to lose power.

Thanks for any help.

GEARS, Then shift kit... as funds allow.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03YellowPony
Stick a set of 4.10 gears and a T-lok in her. Best bang for the buck. I have the DiabloSport Preditor, but I recommend the SCT. You can have them preload 3 levels of tune in it.
That the plan for my car also.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to 232stang01 Send a message via Yahoo to 232stang01

Can't you only use a speedcal on a manual tranny'd car? I don't think you can use one with an auto.
232stang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Brent has one on his 96 auto, you will have to check the years/models available to be certian.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang